• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post op pain

aburrier

I am 9 days out from gastric bypass surgery. I’m still having mild to moderate pain and still unable to sleep on my sides. I know people differ in healing times but whats the normal amount of time to have pain?

My pain is getting better by the day. But yesterday I noticed a burning sensation at my waistline but this is below any incisions. It’s worse when I sit up or bend over. I’ll see my dr on Wednesday for follow up but I’m really hoping it’s gone by then.

I am 7 days out still unable to sleep and I have noticed that I have this pain sterum? Anybody else experience this pain? There are times where it hurts to breath and then there are times when I feel like there's something blocking the passage. How do you know when to go into the ER and when to just let things progress......

Why is the pain located in your (I assume you mean) sternum? I am not a doctor nor do I work in the medical profession, but I do not think surgeons mess with the sternum ever unless they need to get to your heart in which case they cut it vertically and then wire it back together when they're finished.

Did you have an open procedure, or have you had surgery that involved your heart or lungs, esophagus or trachea?

I had an open procedure where my gallbladder was removed prior to the RYGB surgery. at the top of my incision, which was at the bottom of my sternum, I could feel one of the stitches under the skin. It didn't hurt and my doctor told me not to worry about it.

If you have looked for side effects from gastric bypass surgery online, and you have not found your symptom listed, first you should call your doctor or surgeon, and second you should get to a medical facility. Pain always means something important and should never be ignored.

If you had a laparoscopic procedure, the doctor probably would have filled your abdomen with gas in order to create more space to work. I remember having a laparoscopic procedure when I had my tubes tied. The gas has to leak out over a period of time. I remember that it hurt and it felt like it was moving around. I think for some people it feels worse when they're breathing. It's a feeling like a broken rib. There are people here right now who are post-surgical and they can speak better to the pain they're feeling as the gas leaks back out. Anyone?

I am 7 days out still unable to sleep and I have noticed that I have this pain sterum? Anybody else experience this pain? There are times where it hurts to breath and then there are times when I feel like there's something blocking the passage. How do you know when to go into the ER and when to just let things progress......
Hi Wilcox- What type of surgery did you have? I've had a little bit of the pain you describe. For me, after my gastric sleeve surgery, it was gas, like Diane described. Other times it was from eating a little too fast or a little too much. Are you eating something around bedtime that could be doing this? Only your doctor can help you through this. It might be a reflux problem, or it could be several things.

Hello
I had gastric bypass on 5/8/2019. I'm currently, having a lot of gas(is this normal).. I have short periods of depression(is this normal).
sometimes I feel a burning sensation after drinking crystal light.

T
Hello
I had gastric bypass on 5/8/2019. I'm currently, having a lot of gas(is this normal).. I have short periods of depression(is this normal).
sometimes I feel a burning sensation after drinking crystal light.
That all seems normal. Your stomach is just trying to heal.

I feel your pain , I’m 4 wks out , & wish this whole stomach ... or whatever wld just STOP !
Drives me crazy ! My stomach is constantly making noises , churning , stretching , falling , turning ... I try to eat , nope doesn’t work , I try to walk , nope doesn’t work , I try laying on my back , side , couch , chair ... nope doesn’t work . Sorry being the Downer ... Dr. Just stares at me Blank ... well just make sure u get ur Protein ! & take a *Tylenol . Thinking I may need to up my Lexapro to 20 . ( depression medication )
My guess is this is Normal and will pass in time .

I feel your pain , I’m 4 wks out , & wish this whole stomach ... or whatever wld just STOP !
Drives me crazy ! My stomach is constantly making noises , churning , stretching , falling , turning ... I try to eat , nope doesn’t work , I try to walk , nope doesn’t work , I try laying on my back , side , couch , chair ... nope doesn’t work . Sorry being the Downer ... Dr. Just stares at me Blank ... well just make sure u get ur Protein ! & take a *Tylenol . Thinking I may need to up my Lexapro to 20 . ( depression medication )
My guess is this is Normal and will pass in time .
Nik, are you saying you haven't lost any weight? When support group members write in with a long list of symptoms for problems, they often say they can't eat. But you must be eating or you'd be dead.

I'm sure we could offer I'm sure we could offer you some ideas or helped if you were really specific about what's not working. Just choose two or three problems and list examples of when they happen and how often. Obviously you have gone to your doctor because you said you're getting a Blank Stare. Well that's not helpful either. That isn't all your doctor said. Your doctor must have said "let's have a look at that with an endoscope," or "are you being a good boy on your liquid diet?" Or "how much exercise are you getting and how do you get it?" "Is anyone preparing food for you and perhaps adding things that shouldn't be in there?"

It's not uncommon for people to be on the liquid phase of the diet for 4 weeks. As long as you're taking your multivite and any other medications prescribed to you, as well as nutritional supplements like calcium, iron, vitamin D, vitamin C, Etc.

Back