• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post op pain

Wilcoxw1

I am 3 weeks out from gastric bypass and I am constantly nauseated and when I do get my food in I have pain and then end up throwing up 2 to 3 times. Anyone else having these issues? I have called my surgeon and was advised to take anti-nausea meds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am 3 weeks out from gastric bypass and I am constantly nauseated and when I do get my food in I have pain and then end up throwing up 2 to 3 times. Anyone else having these issues? I have called my surgeon and was advised to take anti-nausea meds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Wil- Are you eating soft foods in very small portions? Stick close to the food list the doctor gave you and take the nausea meds. This is a common outcome from the surgery. Keep in touch with your doctor.

Hi Wil- Are you eating soft foods in very small portions? Stick close to the food list the doctor gave you and take the nausea meds. This is a common outcome from the surgery. Keep in touch with your doctor.
Yes I was eating soft foods from the list. I have since gone back to liquids to let my stomach settle down. I have heard that as you move through the stages of adding foods this is common. Do you know if this is true?

Yeah same here they help but I'm just wondering how long this will last. I have literally been nauseous since coming home. Does it go away or is this my new normal? Am I going to nauseous forever?

Yeah same here they help but I'm just wondering how long this will last. I have literally been nauseous since coming home. Does it go away or is this my new normal? Am I going to nauseous forever?
Everyone reacts to these operations differently. Some people report feeling better week after week. Nausea can be compounded by sugar and fats in the diet and not chewing your food. Not being able to keep food down can lead to malnutrition. Keep your doctor informed of your progress.

Back