• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post-Op Plateau - Need Help

Hi everyone, I’m a four weeks out from surgery and I’m concerned about the sudden halt in weight loss. I lost 20lbs in my first two weeks but I haven’t lost anything else and I’m coming up on week five. I eat like I are before surgery. I don’t have that feeling of being full, I can eat almost as much as I did before without any complications, and I haven’t experienced any uncomfortableness or vomiting from eating too much. And I think this might be related to my not losing anymore weight. I’ve talked to my surgeon and dietician a lot and they both say that this is all normal but I don’t feel that it is. With the rise in COVID cases in NY I haven’t been to the gym all that much since leaving the hospital. I don’t know what to do. I’m starting to feel hopeless and discouraged that things are not going like I was led to expect. Does anyone have pointers or experienced the same thing I am? Please help.

Which surgery did you have? Are you tracking your protein and fluids? Are you weighing or measuring your foods? Stalls are totally normal, but remember there’s more than one way to track success. How’s your energy? Are your clothes fitting better?

I had gastric sleeve surgery. I’ve been following the diet my dietician gave me which is to eat something every 3 hours. Breakfast I’ll have 2 egg whites, snack I’ll have a Greek yogurt, lunch I’ll have either eggs or fish with veggies (about 4-5oz total), snack is half a proteins shake, dinner is the same as lunch, and then the other half of my protein shake for my final snack. I’ll admit most days I don’t follow this diet, I’ll skip breakfast, lunch, 1st and 2nd snack most days and only have dinner and a couple snacks but even when I do follow the diet exactly my intake doesn’t change. My energy is normal, it hasn’t changed since surgery. And for the most part no my clothes aren’t fitting better. I get that stalls are normal but is it normal just 4 weeks out of surgery? And what about my food intake? Is it normal to not feel full even after eating this much?

I had my gastric bypass surgery on the 26th of October. My energy is just barely coming back. I cannot eat very much at all. I am very aware of my physical hunger versus mentally wanting to eat. I’m just now to the phase where I can have meats, so the amount your talking about eating would be way too much for me right now, but I know there are differences between gastric bypass and sleeve guidelines. Are you getting all the protein you’re supposed to have?

If you are sticking to your eating plan and still not losing weight you might be hitting a stall because your body is trying to protect itself. Have you tracked your intake as far as calories just to see if what you are taking in? Sometimes when you are too low your body thinks you are starving yourself. Try not to skip meals. Ryan has written some great posts about stalls that you should find helpful. You can search the forums to find them. Most of all hang in there, this isn't uncommon and you may be just going through an adjustment.

I replied to one of your other posts, but I'll put my response here as well:

First and foremost, stalls are not unusual at any point in your journey, especially after the first three weeks when we all lose quite a bit of water weight and then go through a period of rehydration that counter-balances fat loss. You are still burning fat during this stall, regardless of what the scale reads.

You might want to read my post on stalls on this forum.

Like you, I have never felt the level of restriction that many people describe on this journey. There were times right after surgery when I wondered if they just cut some holes in me to make it look like the surgery was done. I've never vomited, I got sick once around week three, and I have only experienced uncomfortable fullness on a handful of occasions.

If you aren't tracking your caloric intake right now, you might do that for a few days. When I did that, I realized that although I wasn't feeling like I was "restricted" in my eating, I was only eating about 800 calories at the 1 month mark, which is about average. Although calorie counting is grossly inaccurate, it does help provide a general idea of caloric intake. The amount of food and calories that you eat, however, is not nearly as important as what you are eating. If you are making good food choices and not eating sugar and other simple carbs, that is good.

One thing that people often forget is you don't have to eat until you "feel" full. In fact, in studies of the longest lived peoples on earth, they rarely eat until they are full. They eat a reasonable amount and then stop. It's a different relationship with food, but that is an area I'm working on. You can get by on far less food that you would eat if you filled your stomach up, even your small stomach. You can learn to be satisfied without being full.

As long as you are making good food choices, staying hydrated and maintaining a caloric deficit, you will be burning fat and you will lose weight. Good things are happening even if the scale doesn't move. That doesn't make it less frustrating when it happens, but as long as you stay on track, you will reach your goals.

Don't worry about not getting exercise for losing weight. Exercise is great for overall health, but it does very little in contributing to significant weight loss. If you do some basic body weight exercises at home, working your main muscle groups, you will be doing enough to reduce muscle loss.

In summary:
  1. You aren't doing anything wrong (assuming you are following post surgery guidelines)
  2. Exercise doesn't really help with weight loss, but it's great for overall health. Don't count on that for breaking a stall.
  3. Almost everyone experiences stalls that last days or weeks, and it's totally natural and normal (but no less frustrating)
  4. Fat loss is not a natural body process; we are not designed to lose weight, we are designed to protect weight
  5. Our bodies have to go through adjustments in this process, and how quickly that happens varies from person to person
  6. Continue to make good food choices, stay well hydrated, work in some resistance exercise, and you WILL reach your goals!
Your body composition continues to change, and regardless of what the scale reads, good things are happening in your body!

Thank you everyone. You’ve made me feel much better about my prospects. Especially WazzuCoug because I haven’t heard of anyone going through the same experiences as I am, regarding fullness etc. I have been tracking my caloric intake and it is less than 800 per day. I hope I’ve just hit a stall that will pass soon.

This whole week I have been depressed and stressed because I wasn’t losing any more weight than I did the first two weeks out of surgery. I’ve been feeling like this since June because my surgery was supposed to take place in July but because of misunderstandings between my PCP and bariatric surgeon about tests and blood tests etc I wasn’t able to get the pre-op work I needed done until September. Between June and September I felt like this surgery was never going to happen so I turned to food to deal with the depression. I gained back everything that I had lost through dieting and except use and an extra 20lbs. I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to get approved for surgery since I had gained so much so I had to postpone the request to insurance. I managed to lose 20lbs in one month and was back to my normal weight. Three weeks later I had my surgery. And guess what?! I’ve managed to lose 25lbs since surgery and 45lbs if I count the amount I had to lose pre-op. And, honestly, either way I’m very proud of myself. Thank you again to all the ones who offered up some advice when I was feeling low. Today proved you were all right.

This whole week I have been depressed and stressed because I wasn’t losing any more weight than I did the first two weeks out of surgery. I’ve been feeling like this since June because my surgery was supposed to take place in July but because of misunderstandings between my PCP and bariatric surgeon about tests and blood tests etc I wasn’t able to get the pre-op work I needed done until September. Between June and September I felt like this surgery was never going to happen so I turned to food to deal with the depression. I gained back everything that I had lost through dieting and except use and an extra 20lbs. I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to get approved for surgery since I had gained so much so I had to postpone the request to insurance. I managed to lose 20lbs in one month and was back to my normal weight. Three weeks later I had my surgery. And guess what?! I’ve managed to lose 25lbs since surgery and 45lbs if I count the amount I had to lose pre-op. And, honestly, either way I’m very proud of myself. Thank you again to all the ones who offered up some advice when I was feeling low. Today proved you were all right.
Wonderful. Keep on track, make good choices and you'll do great! Stick with it. I'm glad you are feeling more positive. It can be a bumpy ride sometimes, for sure!

It is ironic that we suffer so much for so long and then when we get to a point where we have made a huge success, we cannot congratulate ourselves properly. You are awesome and you have done an awesome thing.

You may be able to kick your body into a new gear just by switching up what you eat, what time of day you eat it, and what amount of any given food you eat. Your body is in tune with your metabolism and as soon as you give your body something to think about, it will start doing so immediately.

In the meantime, remember that this isn't just about numbers, but it is about the holistic effects of nutritional balance and caloric input and output.

You may wish to associate some affirmations with what has been happening to you. Right now you may have a negative message associated with, for instance, touching a fork or a spoon or lusting after something gooey and sweet or salty or bubbly. Each sensation you have can be re-routed so that your body travels a different Road. It is so much fun to exist with harmony in your body instead of fighting success and recording your failures.

Welcome to your support group and thank you for sharing what so many other people are feeling.

It is ironic that we suffer so much for so long and then when we get to a point where we have made a huge success, we cannot congratulate ourselves properly. You are awesome and you have done an awesome thing.
This is profound. Especially since so many of us are wondering when the next pound will fall off and blame ourselves for every stall, when it is 100% natural. It's nice to be reminded to congratulate ourselves for all the hard work we're doing for the success we've already had.

Back