• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

post-op questions

craig/a

hi my name is craig and I am in month 1 of my post-op and I have not been given any instructions on what to do I have a February 19 appointment to talk to someone about nutrition, exercise, and one other thing but until then I haven't been instructed to do anything I'm not Shure if I'm supposed to be doing anything toward weight lost or anything I'm a little frustrated.

When you meet with the dietician, she'll probably talk to you about losing some weight before surgery and get the ball rolling. Until then, I would suggest watching yourself when eating, how you eat; try to become mindful when eating. Then start to try to chew food slowly, and don't drink liquids while eating. These are things you'll need to do after surgery to adjust to your new stomach. Try to get some exercise like walking regularly. These are things the dietitian told me when I first saw her.

Craig/a I meant to post pre-op
Phew, that's a relief. I was worried for you if you were on your own post op!

mmitti made great suggestions to get you started. I'd add to that you should really start being conscious of how much water you normally drink and if it's not 64 ounces, work to get there now. In the first month or so post-op, your job is to stay hydrated and since your stomach is smaller, it takes much more effort. If you're already used to drinking a lot of water, it should be easier for you post-op.

By can you explain how this food diary work and what am I going to do with it. Thank you!
In a food diary, write down everything you eat, all day long. You analyze it in any way you want - look up calories of foods to see how many you eat. As you look at it, do you see evidence that you eat too much? Many people use the information to try and adjust to a healthier diet. Before surgery, when I've done one, I saw that i would eat 3000 calories some days, waaaaay to much. Acknowledging what you are doing is the first step to making changes. Try and make healthier choices while you are waiting for your appointments.

Craig, I had sleeve surgery Jan. 7 the best advice I could give you right now is first, get a diet app, like my fitness pal. that is the one I use. It will give you a goal. although if you tell it you want to lose 150 pounds it warps it's little mind. but that in it's self will help you start to lose weight. Second I started walking, riding a stationary bike, and working out with light weights. Just to build up a little core strength. that will help you post opp. as for everything else your doctor and nutritionist will cover everything else. good luck

I am new and won’t have surgery until June. I use the Baritastic app to keep track of food and water and it’s has useful things after surgery. It keeps track of protein and all of that so you know if you are getting what you need.
I am new and won’t have surgery until June. I use the Baritastic app to keep track of food and water and it’s has useful things after surgery. It keeps track of protein and all of that so you know if you are getting what you need.

Craig, I had sleeve surgery Jan. 7 the best advice I could give you right now is first, get a diet app, like my fitness pal. that is the one I use. It will give you a goal. although if you tell it you want to lose 150 pounds it warps it's little mind. but that in it's self will help you start to lose weight. Second I started walking, riding a stationary bike, and working out with light weights. Just to build up a little core strength. that will help you post opp. as for everything else your doctor and nutritionist will cover everything else. good luck

Back