• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post Op Stage 3a foods?

mam

Hi all,
I am now 14 days out from VSG surgery. I ate a greek yogurt yesterday and experienced no problems. I'd like to incorporate more foods to try and see how I do.
I have eggbeaters, oatmeal, and unsweetened applesauce on hand, but am not a fan of cottage cheese. What other foods did you first try incorporating into your diet? I know I will need to stick with protein shakes for a while to ensure adequate levels of protein.

I am a little nervous to move beyond greek yogurt and applesauce so I'd welcome hearing from others how they managed the transition. Thank you all!

Congratulations, mam. In my liquid phase I was instructed to make Magic Milk, which is twice as high in protein as regular milk. I used this instead of water to make cream soups and cereals.

The recipe, along with my daily diet, can be found on my profile page.

I lost 35 pounds in the first month, 25 the second and 15 the third. I also incorporated treadmill at the YMCA and added other exercise as tolerated, so 9 months out, I started hiking in the North Cascades Wilderness.

After a year I'd dropped 115 pounds and was in the best shape of my life. None of it would have happened without RYGB.

Dianeseattle, what an amazing story! Congratulations to you and your progress. Thank you for the suggestion on magic milk, I'm going to look it up right now!

Hi all,
I am now 14 days out from VSG surgery. I ate a greek yogurt yesterday and experienced no problems. I'd like to incorporate more foods to try and see how I do.
I have eggbeaters, oatmeal, and unsweetened applesauce on hand, but am not a fan of cottage cheese. What other foods did you first try incorporating into your diet? I know I will need to stick with protein shakes for a while to ensure adequate levels of protein.

I am a little nervous to move beyond greek yogurt and applesauce so I'd welcome hearing from others how they managed the transition. Thank you all!
Hi Mam,
If you are ready to start trying purees, you may be able to have mashed potatoes, thinned refried beans, hummus, and guacamole. You may want to wait a bit longer before trying bananas and peanut butter.

Hi Mimi, Thank you for these suggestions. I have an appointment with the surgeon later today, so I will review this with him. I'm still having trouble eating more than 1 protein shake, 1 Oikos Pro greek yogurt, and 1 unsweetened applesauce. The dietician said I'm not behind the 8 ball, but reassured me it's ok to take things in small steps. The challenge I am finding is feeling weak all day. I take a 20 minute walk, and am completely wiped the rest of the day. I am getting my vitamins and meds in, and would like to increase to 30 minute walks, but I sincerely don't have the energy yet.-Maryann

Hi Mimi, Thank you for these suggestions. I have an appointment with the surgeon later today, so I will review this with him. I'm still having trouble eating more than 1 protein shake, 1 Oikos Pro greek yogurt, and 1 unsweetened applesauce. The dietician said I'm not behind the 8 ball, but reassured me it's ok to take things in small steps. The challenge I am finding is feeling weak all day. I take a 20 minute walk, and am completely wiped the rest of the day. I am getting my vitamins and meds in, and would like to increase to 30 minute walks, but I sincerely don't have the energy yet.-Maryann
sounds like you are doing well. It's only logical to feel weak now that you are trying to survive on very little calories. Your body still needs another 4 weeks to recover from the surgery, so taking it slow and easy is necessary right now. You know your limits and when you need to rest.

I saw the surgeon today. I have lost 32 pounds. i started the journey at 253. He said I need to incorporate more food and target for every 3 hours, even though I am never feeling hungry. He said I need more calories to feel some energy. I just ate an eggbeaters egg without issue, and will try oatmeal. I am not a fan of tofu or cottage cheese. Does anyone have other ideas for foods to increase calories? I will move on to the next soft foods phase in about 4 days, where I can try soft fish (Tuna, cod) and some mayonaise.

Mashed potatoes with gravy and fried beans with a little cheese were my go to. They tasted like heaven after all the shakes!

Hi All, thank you for these wonderful suggestions. I started off today with a Kodiak blueberries and cream oatmeal packet mixed with a lot of skim milk (190 calories). The surgeon and dietician want me to eat something every 3 hours and get to 600 calories. 4 hours have passed and I'm still feeling completely full. Did any of you go through this phase? I know I have to eat more because I feel weak throughout the day. I still make my 20 minute walk, but barely. I come back in and am completely worn out. My plan for the day was to eat an Oikos Pro, 1 Premier Protein Shake, and eggbeaters, which would take me over 600.

I had to make myself eat. It was really hard when I had told myself for years that the way to lose weight was starve yourself. Making myself get the calories in when I didn’t feel like it seemed counterproductive. Its what you need to do, though, to get more energy!

Thanks Suthy! I am not sure if you or others ever felt a phase of "why have i done this surgery to my body" and right now, I am feeling that. I agree, after years of eating less and less, it's strange to be now making myself eat although I am not hungry. I really wish there was extra pyschological support offered directly after this surgery.

Back