• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post Op Swelling

Pink Julie

How long does it take for post op swelling to go down? I had the RNY gastric bypass on April 31st, and have lost 17lbs so far, but none of my clothes fit around the middle still.

This might sound like a dumb question, but how do you know it's swelling versus size? Is your body different than it was before? Is there a specific location that feels bigger than before? And I guess if it's swelling the skin would feel tight, like how we feel when we have water weight. Can you say more Julie? Off the top of my head I would say it seems weird that you would have swelling at this point from surgery. The gas should have dissipated by now. But I am absolutely unfamiliar with this phenomenon and a lot of people here seem to be talking about it. I think we need to have an answer from a professional perhaps?

It’s my upper abdomen and all around the middle really, the rest of me looks smaller. My shorts which were baggy before the surgery still won’t do up. Of course the feeding tube gets in the way too, but I’ve bought a special belt for that. Just wondering if anyone else had this.

Back