• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post Op Update/Surgury August 30

GCooper

Hi Everyone. I must say I'm home and feeling fairly good. My experience with Roux-N-Y was the worst on day 2. I had dry heaves for 14 hours straight. I literally wanted to die I was so miserable. The were giving me nausea medicine as often as possible but nothing would stop it. It was horrible. However, I was much better by day three and got some liquids in and returned home. I have a few obsticles to overcome. One being getting in all my fluids. I simply cant do it. I do sip all day and do my best to get in my protein, which is not happening. I as told that I have to drink 64 ounces of water, plus my 50-60 grams of protein on top of that. The protein is not included in my fluid intake. Which I find odd that other people claim is as fluid as well. This is so hard. Im not sleeping well, and find myself up 4:00 am the last two days start sippimg so I can get my fluids I'm already freaking out about protein defiency and dehydration although I'm my far from that yet. I purchased unflavord UnJury and I think it is disgusting. I hanvt found the right mixture or somehting yet. I gag at the smell of it. Any suggestions on how to get my proteins in. I heard some use powdered milk in stead of protein replacement. What about protein shots? Are they worth the price and do they taste decent. Also, I had to get Priloc over the counter because of the weekend, should I be swallowing a pill? I did it yesterday not thinking. It went down, but it scares me. Doctor will have to give me a different prescription because Wal-Greens didn't use my prescription card (idiots) Im so nervous and want to do the right thing. I've had no pain whatsover. A little gas here and there but nothing like the stress of getting my fluids. When I feel full I stop. But then I don';t get them all in. Please give me you advise.

Hi GCooper,

This is the first time I ever heard of the protein shakes not counting toward your daily fluid intake. I find that rather odd as well and would be concerned about fluid overload. Have you tried jello, popsicles,crystal light, and broth? I have a hard time with plain old water.

As for unjury unflavored powder, what are you mixing it in? Try it in fruit punch crystal light or in the orange sunlight crystal light. EAS makes a premixed shake that is available at Walmart and some grocery stores. A four pack runs about five dollars. It has 17 Grams of protein in it. I like the chocolate best. (chocoholic here)

As for other flavors of unjury, I like things a bit tart and so I use the strawberry sorbet and mix it in crystal light lemonade.

I don't know about your bariatric center but mine will share all kinds of recipes.

At first I had a hard time getting all the protein in but it got easier as the days passed.

When I stopped and thought about it I discovered that if I drank 4 tablespoons of liquids every 15 minutes that in 8 hours I would consume my whole 64 ounces of liquids. That is how I attack a problem - I divide it into smaller parts so it isn't so daunting.

It will get easier as most here will tell you. Good luck. Joy

I had gastric bypass surgery on 8/21 and also had difficulty getting all the protein and fluids in. You can mix the unjury powder with milk and I add 1/4 tsp of vanilla and four splendas and it's actually not bad. Otherwise it is vile. If you are lactose intolerant you can try lactaid chewables or soy milk. Just walk, walk, walk and sip, sip, sip. I made myself get up each hour and walk around the house for 15 minutes. I just kept sipping from a medicine cup which holds about 1 oz of fluid and kept refilling it. The first few days I didn't get it all in but each passing day got better. Just keep trying and stay as hydrated as possible. The more protein you get in the better you'll feel. Good Luck!

GCooper-Glad you are starting to feel better. Just keep sipping fluids in tiny amounts throughout the day. I find it strange that you were told your protein did not count towards your fluids. Try mixing the unflavored unjury powder with diet or sugar free hot chocolate mix. Be careful not to heat it up more than 130 degress or it will clump up. Use hot tap water, 1/2 scoop unjury and a pack of sugar free hot chocolate and mix well with 6 to 8 ounces of the hot tap water. Stick in microwave for 10 or 15 seconds (at the most). Add a pack of sweetener if you like it sweeter. It's also not too bad mixed with broth or bouillon but the same rule applies not to heat it up beyond 130 degrees. If you use only 1/2 scoop you shouldn't notice the taste too much. Also works great in a homemade smoothie!!!

You will feel better and better each passing day and you will also be able to get more fluids and your protein drinks in as time passes, it just takes a little time. Sleep as much as possible and take naps when you feel tired, don't fight it!!! With proper rest, hydration and nutrition you will recover faster and better and lose weight. You won't be able to get all of your protein in every day right now but this will improve in a couple of weeks. Listen to your body as it heals. Sip, sip, sip, sleep and nap your way to recovery :) :) :)

I had my surgery on 8/20 and I understand the concern about not getting enough protein. Personally when I'm struggling I like the chicken broth from unjury. My protein shakes of old just don't go down as easy as before. I'm thinking because they were thick. My liquid in any form including protein and Popsicle counts. So I would check with your doctor again. As for your pills. Do not worry. You can take them. I took pills on Day 2 at the hospital. So you are golden. If they are too big and give u trouble going down crush them and put them in no sugar added apple sauce.

I have a few questions myself but call your nurses. That is what they get paid for. This is your health. Ask them and get clarification. Talk to the nutritionist. Do not sit around and wonder. The worst thing you can do is be afraid to ask and then get dehydrated. Throwing up again is not a good thought. Think Popsicles. Have 3-4 every hour if you want. Calories are minimum. Once you get hydrated you can take protein. First fluids. Then move on. But seriously get unjury chicken broth. 10 ounces water not 8 with full scoop. It looses the mucus build up and makes you feel better. Chicken soup does work.

Back