• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post op

if you are 2 weeks post-op well, you should have gone through one week of clear liquids, followed by a second week of unclear liquids like soups and now you should be at the soft food stage, where you puree your food but it doesn't require chewing. You should not be eating solid food.

You should call your doctor and ask about this because I have never heard of anyone eating solid food at 2 weeks post op, and I do not believe your digestive system can handle it. You may end up ruining your surgery. Call your doctor.

Hi, Neli. While I am glad to know you are feeling well, your comments are a little concerning. Which surgery did you have? The suggested post-op diets vary slightly by program and by surgery so you should definitely be speaking to your own surgical team. But I will share what is/was required by my program below.
For the bypass, which I had, my program required the following:
1 week clear liquid, 2 weeks full liquid, 1 week puree, 1 week soft food and on week 6 move on to solid foods.
For the sleeve:
2 weeks clear liquid, 2 weeks full liquid, 1 week puree, 1 week soft food and then onto solid food.
As I am sure you know, and were told by your doctors, nutritionists and surgical team, you should definitely not be eating solid food or sweets of any kind 2 weeks out, under any circumstances. You are doing yourself a great disservice and endangering your health by doing so. Your stomach is not fully healed yet and might not be able to handle the pressure of holding solid foods, even in small amounts. Again, please speak to your surgical team. Best of luck to you.

I would be more concerned about something you eat catching a staple and popping it lose than anything, and thats if you had a sleeve.

My understanding the point of the food stages is to give the stomach time to heal and not block anything by having big chunks of food. It takes 6-8 weeks for the stomach to heal.

I just started week 2 of my 3 week pureed diet and while some of my food is still probs a little less than pureed I make sure I chew it well before swallowing and that there is plenty of moisture in it.

At this stage I was told that I should be eating 1/4-1/2 cup of food a meal. No more.

I was never told anything about sugar other then if you have the full bypass you can have dumping syndrome. I still have a small bit of sugar here and there but nothing major. I have noticed if I have to much I do feel ill.

My meals at 3 week post look like this...today's was..

Breakfast- ygury smoothie and a few tablespoons of cottage cheese

Lunch- hard boiled egg smashed up with a small amount of light mayo and some coffee(non fat light version)

Dinner- pre made packet of chicken salad, a yogurt smoothie and a couple bits of mashed potatoes.

I would slow down a bit on the solids and make sure you eat with in the guidelines.

I would be more concerned about something you eat catching a staple and popping it lose than anything, and thats if you had a sleeve.

My understanding the point of the food stages is to give the stomach time to heal and not block anything by having big chunks of food. It takes 6-8 weeks for the stomach to heal.

I just started week 2 of my 3 week pureed diet and while some of my food is still probs a little less than pureed I make sure I chew it well before swallowing and that there is plenty of moisture in it.

At this stage I was told that I should be eating 1/4-1/2 cup of food a meal. No more.

I was never told anything about sugar other then if you have the full bypass you can have dumping syndrome. I still have a small bit of sugar here and there but nothing major. I have noticed if I have to much I do feel ill.

My meals at 3 week post look like this...today's was..

Breakfast- ygury smoothie and a few tablespoons of cottage cheese

Lunch- hard boiled egg smashed up with a small amount of light mayo and some coffee(non fat light version)

Dinner- pre made packet of chicken salad, a yogurt smoothie and a couple bits of mashed potatoes.

I would slow down a bit on the solids and make sure you eat with in the guidelines.

Thank you very much!
I discussed it all now with my doctor he said i'm eating great good amounts and he is pleased.
Will definitely try to take it slow one new solid at a time.
Thanks again for the advice!!

Back