• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post sleeve bulimia

SM16

I’m scared I’m developing bulimia. I’m 6 months out and down 87lbs. I’m so happy with my success and want to continue to lose (ideally I’d like to lose about 40 more). Lately I’ve become so scared of stretching my sleeve. It started with me eating past my point a little then throwing up because I was uncomfortable. Now I’m doing it daily if I eat more than I should. I know I need help but I don’t even know how to start finding the help. I’m scared I’m stretching my sleeve and scared of the consequences of throwing up so frequently but I can’t seem to stop. Please help or tell me how you got over this if it’s happened to you.

If you seriously think you may be having a bulimia issue, you really should seek out a professional counsellor. The very first thing you can do is reach out to the Helpline of the National Eating Disorders Association (link included in the previous text). If you have concerns at all, start there or Google search for counsellors in your area.

In the meantime, you should be confident that your sleeve isn't stretching out in 6 months. It's a thing people get scared of, but the reality is that everyone's sleeve naturally relaxes over time. The stomach tissue itself is not stretching out, things are just a bit more loose. It's a natural process. While it is to stretch it out over a longer period of time, it really takes intentional and consistent overeating to really make a difference. If you are doing that, I would also consider counselling because it is self defeating.

You should talk with someone who is familiar with eating disorders and such if you feel you might be developing one.

I know everyone here will be hoping the best for you.

Last edited:
I had my Sleeve in February this year. You need to be using a scale and stay disciplined on 5 to 6 oz you are allowed. Discipline is how you avoid throwing up. You need to look at the psychological reason why you are intentionally overeating even with your tool. If you liked the psychiatrist that did your psychological evaluation go back to them. Self-sabotage sometimes happen while you're on a weight loss Journey.

I had my surgery on June 25th and since then I have had 2 episodes where I ate too much (and possibly the food was too dense) that I wound up throwing up a little of it. I know that feeling of it being uncomfortable. But I agree with the others, if this is a daily ritual it would be best for you to seek help. I liked my pre-surgical psychologist and if you did too you might want to start there, if not I'm sure your surgeon's office can give you a recommendation for someone who is good with bulimia specifically. I wish you all the best and I am hopeful for you that you will be able to figure this all out. You have already lost 87 lbs which wonderful!

I’m sorry to hear this is happening. My first thought is to reach out to your surgical team if you can. They will have dealt with this before. It was talked about in my preop class, so you will not be the first or the last person having to go through this. And you don’t have to go through it alone. I am sure you’re scared about developing patterns, but seeking out help can get you to where you should be. Please be safe, you are worth the good health and happy times that comes along with both.

First it is entirely possible to lose 80 pounds in 6 months without any issues but thats not the point. I won't lecture you like the above post. You recognize what is happening as unhealthy. I recommend that you find a local eatting disorder program and seek their help. Find somebody that has experience working with bariatric clients. If they do not put you on an intensive program then also find yourself a individual mental health therapist to work with at the same time. If you are on a intensive program you won't have the time to do both so then I suggest after the eating disorder program follow up with individuL mental health therapy. If you don't know where to start with finding this, call your insurance they can help you find these resources.

The " tough love" aka shame method oboe is not going to be helpful. Another good resource can be psychologytoday.com this will allow you to find therapists in your area.

Hello and welcome. If this has become an uncontrollable issue for you, which you state it has, you need to seek professional help. Call your surgical team first, if you are unsure where to start. Or call your therapist, if you have one. Immediately. You have gone through a lot to get to the point where you are at. Congrats on successfully losing 87lbs! Don't throw it all away hoping that this problem will just go away when there is help available to you. There is no shame in needing help along the way. Please call your surgical team. They are your best resource at the moment. Good luck.

I’m scared I’m developing bulimia. I’m 6 months out and down 87lbs. I’m so happy with my success and want to continue to lose (ideally I’d like to lose about 40 more). Lately I’ve become so scared of stretching my sleeve. It started with me eating past my point a little then throwing up because I was uncomfortable. Now I’m doing it daily if I eat more than I should. I know I need help but I don’t even know how to start finding the help. I’m scared I’m stretching my sleeve and scared of the consequences of throwing up so frequently but I can’t seem to stop. Please help or tell me how you got over this if it’s happened to you.

Hi SM16 -

I strongly urge you to reach out to your surgical team that did your surgery. They should be able to point you in the right direction and offer you immediate assistance.

I have never had any bulimia issues - but I did/do have gastroparasis. It was a lot worse before surgery - but I still have issues with it. Before surgery - most food I ate would remain in my stomach until it caused me to throw up. The throwing up could last a few hours or several days. I was hospitalized for it frequently.

However throwing up can have all kinds of ill effects on your body. It can cause ulcers and bleeding in your esophagus. It can erode your teeth. These are just a couple of the physical issues. The mental issues are a whole other story.

Please get help! Please reach out to someone that can truly help you. You can do this!

I am praying for you and would recommend that you contact someone to get help and get this under control. I am currently dealing with the loss of my dad and have had a nervous stomach for over a week. Thankfully I’m not overeating, but my eating habits are off course.
I have been able to keep a protein shake down so I am sticking to a liquid diet for now.

Back