• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post Surgery Dumping

P J

Is any experiencing early dumping symptoms after eating a meal. I am not eating sugary foods. Example last night I had four pieces of fried wings. 5-6 Flats . Within 15 minutes I started bloating, with abdominal pain, burping, feeling weak and tired. I needed to lay down. My stomach was hurting so bad for about 30-45 minutes. I have recently had an Upper GI, Cat Scan, and Endoscopy all showing nothing to support my symptoms. We thought at first that it could be SIBO, Celiac, Irritable Bowel and H pylori but the above tests were negative.
Then it hit me to look up dumping symptoms and that could be the problem. But after all these years? Appreciate your thoughts and sharing if you’re experiencing this or have experience this and how you addressed it.

Hi PJ! Sorry to hear you are experiencing this unpleasant side effect. I wonder if your system is simply developing an aversion to certain types of food? The thing that caught my eye was "fried wings". Have you had this happen after any other meals? If so, try to look for the connection between them. Sorry I don't have more help on this but I am not as far out as you and have only experienced it once (eating cheese of all things). Good luck on figuring out what is triggering this now!

Is any experiencing early dumping symptoms after eating a meal. I am not eating sugary foods. Example last night I had four pieces of fried wings. 5-6 Flats . Within 15 minutes I started bloating, with abdominal pain, burping, feeling weak and tired. I needed to lay down. My stomach was hurting so bad for about 30-45 minutes. I have recently had an Upper GI, Cat Scan, and Endoscopy all showing nothing to support my symptoms. We thought at first that it could be SIBO, Celiac, Irritable Bowel and H pylori but the above tests were negative.
Then it hit me to look up dumping symptoms and that could be the problem. But after all these years? Appreciate your thoughts and sharing if you’re experiencing this or have experience this and how you addressed it.
Hi PJ. Hmm... interesting situation, sorry you're dealing with it. How long ago was your surgery? It seems strange that you'd start dumping on foods that you hadn't before, I'm assuming years(?) post-op.

When you saw your doctor and he/she ordered all these tests, did they mention any causes related to surgery (such as dumping syndrome)? I would think they would rule out any typical bariatric-surgery related issues first.

I wish I had advice to offer. Please keep us posted. Others could be in your same situation looking for answers too.

Back