• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Potatoes -- mealy (or nonwaxy) vs waxy

Qaterra

When you're ready to incorporate potatoes back into your diet, you want to be sure to use nonwaxy, or mealy, potatoes.

You already know not to eat gummies (of any description, not even vitamins) because of their wax content. Waxy potatoes have an additional problem for wls foods -- sugar!

These are the types of potatoes you want to eat. Potatoes basically fall into one of two categories — mealy (or nonwaxy) or waxy. Mealy potatoes (russets, purple) have thick skin and a high starch content, but they’re low in moisture and low in sugar. Other names you may see for mealy potatoes are: Bakers, California Long White, Goldrush, Idaho, Long White, Norkotah, Norgold Russet, Russet Arcadia, Russet Burbank, and White Rose. If you're wanting to cook them for something where you want them to retain some shape, try steaming instead of boiling.

Waxy potatoes (red, new) are just the opposite. They’re low starch with a thin skin. They’re high in moisture and high in sugar. Some names you may see for waxy potatoes are: Australian Crescent, La Soda, Red Bliss, Red La Rouge, Red Nordland, Red Pontiac, Red Potato, Round Red, Round White, Ruby Crescent, Salad Potato, Yellow Finnish, and Yellow Potato.

Some potatoes fall into an all-purpose category. For our purposes here, consider them to be in the waxy category. These are the Katahdin, Kennebec, Peruvian Blue, Superior, and Yukon Gold. They are moister than baking potatoes and will hold together in boiling water. They are particularly well-suited to roasting, pan frying, and using in soups, stews, and gratins.

Wow! I never knew that. Years ago I read somewhere that red and purple potatoes were the healthiest aside from a sweet potato. I will have to remember this when I get to potatoes. Now that I can have more foods I've decided to stay away from white food. Not worth filling up on.

Great thread!

Now that I can have more foods I've decided to stay away from white food. Not worth filling up on.

Great thread!

Thanks, Pen.

And, aren't you smart! You're right. Most starchy white food doesn't provide sufficient nutrition to justify the calories.

There are a few, non-starchy, white foods that are worth adding to your food list. Just off the top of my head, although many are not traditionally referred to as "white food": cauliflower, daikon radish, white beans (Caneloni or Navy, if you do legumes at all), apples, pears, onions, white asparagus. That's all that comes to mind just now.

I hope the potato post explains to some people why sometimes potatoes make you dump, and sometimes they don't. Different potatoes!

I suppose I didn't think of the white veggies, I was going with the white starchy carbs. I love vegetables. I'd rather eat them than meats. But that means more liquid protein! i have been having some veggies. Not enough for my liking. I I'm scared to juice for some strange reason. All in time, right!=)

I love vegetables. I'd rather eat them than meats. But that means more liquid protein! i have been having some veggies. Not enough for my liking. I I'm scared to juice for some strange reason.

Hmmm. I dunno about "juicing" as such. Concentrates a lot of sugars into a small amount without any of the fiber to mitigate it.

I bet "whole juicing" would be okay, though. You know, with a BlendTec or a Vita Mix. You put the veggies and some water into the blender and process it. You end up with "juice" which has the whole magilla in it. Run it past your nutritionist first, naturally.

I whole juice. My body loves it. And the nutritionist was all about it. I used to put beets in my juice which makes for a dirt tasting juice, I'm just scared the taste is going to mess with me. I didn't care how bad it may taste because I would chug it. Can't do that any more. I may try a juice of veggies I know I like and maybe add just a little bit of beet.

Back