• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pouch Question

TillieS

When we have out different types of surgery especially the bypass and the sleeve. Isn't our new stomachs supposed to be shaped like a tube? I had an upper gi today and the doctor that did my test told me that my stomach was shaped like a regular stomach only a little smaller. I am quite confused by this. He didn't say that is was stretched out or anything like like that. He did say that he could see the line where it was sewn and stapled shut. He couldn't see anything that would cause my pain. Only mild irritation on the lining and no ulcer Yay. I called my nurse navigator and she is sending the report over to the surgeon I should hear from him on Mon. Any thoughts on this?

TillieS

I heard that the sleeve belly is snapped like a small banana. My surgeon said that there is a theory that the reason that so many sleeve patients have acid reflux as a side affect is because of this oval shape and gas gathers at both ends of the pouch which then causes the food to be trapped near the esophagus causing the stomach acids to irritate this area. Usually sometime around the 6th to 12 month the stomach re shapes to a more rounded pouch and the acid reflux stops. This is probably what has happened to you. He said that there may be some slight stretching around the 6 to 12 month timeline but not to worry about it this is normal.

TillieS. I'm so glad that no ulcers. I'm sorry you are having pain I hope you find out why and how to stop it soon. Hang in there; we're here for you.

Hi Tillie, I'm glad to hear no ulcer. I hope they can fine why your having pain. Sorry but I don't know anything about the sleeve. My best wishes to you.

When we have out different types of surgery especially the bypass and the sleeve. Isn't our new stomachs supposed to be shaped like a tube? I had an upper gi today and the doctor that did my test told me that my stomach was shaped like a regular stomach only a little smaller. I am quite confused by this. He didn't say that is was stretched out or anything like like that. He did say that he could see the line where it was sewn and stapled shut. He couldn't see anything that would cause my pain. Only mild irritation on the lining and no ulcer Yay. I called my nurse navigator and she is sending the report over to the surgeon I should hear from him on Mon. Any thoughts on this?

TillieS

Hi Tillie! That seems strange that your pouch is only a little smaller than a regular stomach. I was told my stomach could only hold 2 oz after my operation. I was first given jello and juice out of those plastic tiny pill cups they put your meds into when you are in the hospital. At first I couldn't even finish one of those tiny cups as I was just too full. Of course I had the bypass and not the sleeve although I did read that the sleeve was shaped like a small banana.

Sorry you are having stomach problems. I hope they find out what is causing you pain.

Cheyenne

I go back to the surgeons office to talk with them about my stomach issues I am also having to go back to the gastroenterologists office. The nurse navigator says that changes will have to be made to my meds I am not tolerating the carafate either. I hope that they can find out what is going on soon because this is really starting to get on my nerves.

TillieS

Back