• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pouch too big? Plus, side ache

NadiaB.

So my gastric bypass was 7 days ago. I was doing fairly well and am down 14 lbs. However the last three days I've had a sharp pain in my side. Like the kind you get from running too hard. But I'm not running. Has anyone had this? I called my Dr. And he is not concerned...but the pain gets bad sometimes..could I be dehydrated? Also, today I had a cup of tomato soup. Really it was broth, and I lost track and before I knew it I finished the 8 oz cup. What's confusing is that my stomach did not hurt. Is my pouch bigger then average? I thought this early on we were only supposed to tolerate like 4 oz of food? Sorry if these are dumb questions. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Liquids, like soup, will flow through your digestive system faster than solid food. It's not a straight shot all the way out of your bowels, but you probably will fill your stomach and part of your duodenum and that's why you're able to take in 8 oz when you only have 2 OZ pouch. It's not abnormal. But I think you probably will want to be more conscious of what you are eating and how quickly and how big the bites are and whether or not it's liquid.

This is all part of your retraining and it is something you should work with your nutritionist on. A nutritionist is not only necessary pre surgically, but should be in your life postoperatively until you have your new way of eating down pat.

Even with something as innocuous as tomato soup, your bowels will have to work and separate liquids and solids so that anything you eat will be processed into stool and passed out your body.

Thank you!! That makes sense!
By the way, congratulations on that stunning weight loss you had so far. You are doing great. I am guessing the pain is related to gas and I suspect it will go away in a week or so. You did the right thing by calling your doctor and the fact that he wasn't concerned indicates that you don't have anything to worry about. Be excited and proud of yourself and follow that food plan, phase by phase and you will continue to lose weight and you will learn to eat smaller portions as well. Good luck to you and congratulations again.

And welcome to the group.

By the way, congratulations on that stunning weight loss you had so far. You are doing great. I am guessing the pain is related to gas and I suspect it will go away in a week or so. You did the right thing by calling your doctor and the fact that he wasn't concerned indicates that you don't have anything to worry about. Be excited and proud of yourself and follow that food plan, phase by phase and you will continue to lose weight and you will learn to eat smaller portions as well. Good luck to you and congratulations again.

And welcome to the group.
thank you again. I saw my doctor today and he just repeated what you said. so it was good advice. :)

Back