• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre-Op appointment, Classes and other cool stuff.

I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 am on 11/26/2013. I am first in for surgery.
I met my sisters in bariatric surgery today, awesome ladies.

Nutrition class was good. I am a short stuff so my protein requirements aren't as much as taller women.
We will not be allowed to go home until we can consume 80 ounces of water. Water will be dispensed in 1ounce pill cups and tracked, LOL.
Expect some difficulty with swallowing due your new pouch being swollen which will get better each day.
I feel like I am having a Joey, baby kangaroo, instead of an R-N-Y, because the keep referring to my new stomach as a pouch, ;).
Gummi vitamins are not acceptable because they are not a complete vitamin.
Gummi calcium citrate is good.
You do not want to vomit otherwise you will further irritate your new pouch.
We will be required to walk several times a day, we will wear the anti-clot massager booties when in bed resting, sleeping or being lazy.
My suite has a computer hooked up to the television.
I did receive a cool goody bag full of samples of protein powders and full sized bottles of chewable vitamins, calcium, B12 and iron.. Nice score if I do say so.
I also found out the I do not have a co-pay for the first year out from surgery for any visits to my surgeon. Sweet. Basically I am making back the deductible I paid to him for my procedure.
I get a free lifetime membership to a full and complete gym at the hospital along with free classes with the exercise physiologist.

Did you know that you can use a shot glass to measure out 1 ounce your cooked foods...
1 ounce of lean protein = 7 grams of protein...
I received a medical card to show at restaurants that I have had bariatric surgery and will need to order much smaller portions.

Always cook your foods before measuring.
Do not drink for 1 hour after eating. You do not want to flush the food from your pouch and become hungry faster.

And ladies of child bearing age. Use back up birth control if your on the pill.

Last edited:
Back