• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre op Diet

Zumboots

How many here were told to be on ALL liquids ( 100% ) for pre-op liver shrinking diet? I see so much variation in liver shrinking diets, but none out there seem to be all liquids, like in my health system is doing.

I am a northern part of the world born human, who does not lose weight on plant-based products much. I was born into a cold climate and my body does not feel good with protein shakes as 100% nutrition. after 4 days on protein shakes and broth alone, I started gaining weight, as my body went into hoarding mode after not getting any "normal for me" protein. I do, however, lose significant weight on animal protein ( chicken, eggs, other lean meats) and cooked/steamed vegetables ( broccoli, cauliflower, spinach... minimal carrots, sweet potatoes, turnips etc). The actual difference is 4-5 oz chicken a day=2lb loss per day, vs zero loss with 100% liquids.

I am having trouble with the whole idea of shelf-stable foods on the go being offered as "better, easier" options in general. I do not find making my own dinner as an inconvinience and most definitely much less time-consuming than dealing with take-outs, for example. I bake my own bread, treats and generally have zero interest in most of the packaged ready to eat foods in grocery stores.

Would like to hear what others are experiencing with preop diet rules.

Thanks in advance for your input

How many here were told to be on ALL liquids ( 100% ) for pre-op liver shrinking diet? I see so much variation in liver shrinking diets, but none out there seem to be all liquids, like in my health system is doing.

I am a northern part of the world born human, who does not lose weight on plant-based products much. I was born into a cold climate and my body does not feel good with protein shakes as 100% nutrition. after 4 days on protein shakes and broth alone, I started gaining weight, as my body went into hoarding mode after not getting any "normal for me" protein. I do, however, lose significant weight on animal protein ( chicken, eggs, other lean meats) and cooked/steamed vegetables ( broccoli, cauliflower, spinach... minimal carrots, sweet potatoes, turnips etc). The actual difference is 4-5 oz chicken a day=2lb loss per day, vs zero loss with 100% liquids.

I am having trouble with the whole idea of shelf-stable foods on the go being offered as "better, easier" options in general. I do not find making my own dinner as an inconvinience and most definitely much less time-consuming than dealing with take-outs, for example. I bake my own bread, treats and generally have zero interest in most of the packaged ready to eat foods in grocery stores.

Although I only had 2-3 days of full liquids/clear liquid before surgery, I followed my program's instructions to the letter. They have been doing this with their patients for 20+ years, and I trusted their program. I would make sure they are aware if you choose not to be compliant with their dietary restrictions pre-surgery. Good luck.

Although I only had 2-3 days of full liquids/clear liquid before surgery, I followed my program's instructions to the letter. They have been doing this with their patients for 20+ years, and I trusted their program. I would make sure they are aware if you choose not to be compliant with their dietary restrictions pre-surgery. Good luck.
haha...that the crooks of the deal...2-3days is ok. 2 weeks when your body is hoarding is not.

All of the pre-op diets, post-op requirements, and so forth are all varied.

My pre-op was shakes, s/f jello, s/f pudding, s/f popsicles, and if I got light headed I could eat pickle spears for sodium.

It’s a means to an end so just hang in there and it’ll get you where you need to go!

I did a full 2 weeks of liquid only diet pre-op. My husband just did 3 weeks, all liquid in Feb. A mix of 3 "meals" which were prepackaged soups or shakes, provided by the program and nothing else but a single SF jello or popsicle per day. It sucks, I get it. I come from hardy, northern stock myself. But the fact is, no human being is going to feel their best on a liquid diet. If you convince yourself now that you know better or you can 'sneak' some chicken for the greater good, it will be that much easier down the line to tell yourself the same things. I'm sorry you're suffering. The pre-op liquid diet is the absolute worst. Follow it anyway lol

My husband is allowed small portions at dinner4oz protein cup 1/ 2 veggies .no carbs .sugar free jello and pops

Maybe these diets are based on BMI AND CURRENT SIZE OF LIVER ,it could explain diet and duration differences

I was told by my Physician that I could have two protein shakes and one meal per day, which must include 4 ounces of protein such as grilled fish or chicken. With those instructions, I ended up losing about 20 pounds.

Back