• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre-op diets

Hello everyone! I will be having the rouen-y procedure on 9/12. Im getting ready to start my pre-op diet in a few days. I see people talking about the things they eat up until just before surgery but i need to be on a liquid diet for 2 weeks. Is this normal?

I was nothing but liquid for 2 weeks, husband was liquid for 3. I know some.people are allowed a dinner of usually 3oz lean protein and 1 cup of a non starchy vegetable. But a lot more of us get that 2 week liquid pre op. First few days are hell, then it becomes an empowerment thing. At least it did for me. I was hungry but following the rules and changing my future. I felt strong.

A few suggestions, if your nutritionist hasn't made them.

1. Cut any an fall caffeine NOW. You really don't want to be hungry AND have the headaches and fatigue involved in caffeine withdrawlr.
  2. Lower your sodium intake now. But make sure to drink some broth while on your liquid diet to get at least some sodium. (Low sodium can also cause headaches, fatigue and irritability.)
  3. Buy sugar free popsicles and gum so at least you have something to chew on once in a while.

Congrats on your date!! Good luck to you.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with having a cup of coffee every day. I do. I have for 50 years and have no intention of stopping. We live in a world where a lot of people think they should be vegan or caffeine-free or avoid certain foods, salt, sugar, white flour, etc. If your doctor wants you to stop using caffeine, have a conversation with her about it. Ask why. Find out if you can have a little bit, or if it's entirely forbidden. I'm 16 years out from surgery and my one-cup of coffee in the morning has never hurt me. In fact, if you look online, you'll find caffeine helps you have regular bowel movement (I can attest to that) and also regulate the number of times you urinate during the day.In other words, it aids in the REMOVAL OF WASTE from your body. Of course, caffeine can be abused, but I'm giving the middle finger to those people who say arbitrary shit like this without medical research to back them up. Just ask your doctor what's right for you and then obey.

Hello everyone! I will be having the rouen-y procedure on 9/12. Im getting ready to start my pre-op diet in a few days. I see people talking about the things they eat up until just before surgery but i need to be on a liquid diet for 2 weeks. Is this normal?

Ask your doctor as many questions as you need to until you understand this.

FYI, my doctor told me to cut back on my food so things would go easier on my body after surgery. That was 16 years ago. I had one celebratory cheeseburger and then a very conservative diet until surgery, and a very strict post-op diet after. He was about to go on vacation for a month, so he checked his schedule and did the surgery as soon as he could, maybe 9 days after our visit. Nowadays, I believe the pre-op diet is designed by insurance company nerds and it's designed to protect them from being sued. But do a lot of research and obey your doctor. Your doctor may or may not be wedded to a liquid diet. there may be some wiggle room. There are valid reasons they want you to lose a little weight before surgery, so they can move around inside your organs more easily. But generally, these surgeons are skilled and well-trained and if you didn't manage to lose weight, they'd still be able to do the surgery, even if you were morbidly obese.

Hi. Immediately after surgery I was told coffee is too acidic for your new pouch. Which in the early days is still an open wound. Also, caffeine is a diuretic. When you are struggling to get enough fluids anyway, you can't really afford to be losing them at an even faster rate. I did not give up coffee forever, nor was I told I would have to.

As Diane stated, do what your bariatric medical team tells you. Just because someone else did not have to do a liquid diet or drank coffee the day after surgery does not mean you can or should. You should follow the rules you were given 100%. The very beginning is not the time to start playing fast and loose with the rules.

Back