• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre op Liquid diet

Hey!! Ok guys… I need any tips,tricks, or advice on the best way to get through this liquid diet pre op phase!! I start tomorrow and I’m so scared!! I never dreamed the emotions that would come with this surgery…. It seems like every 2 minutes I’m thinking of something else! No advice is bad advice I’m open to all and everything!! Thank you so much!!

Be prepared with all different options you are allowed. My program breaks it down so you are drinking something different every hour from when you wake up until you go to bed. Some say it helps keep them focused and not as hungry because they know they have something coming up. Water water water. Get your protein shakes in. Add things to the shakes to change the taste if you get bored. Vanilla shakes with orange sugar free drink mix is delicious. Makes a creamsicle flavor. Add cinnamon or nutmeg and warm it up for a little chai flavor. Powdered peanut butter added to your chocolate shake. Also, add sugar free jello and popsicles to your menu.
Change up the flavor of your water. Keep your palette from getting bored. Rotate broth flavors or add spices to change the flavor a little so you don’t get sick of it. If you have to work, pre make all your meals for the day and make sure you are prepared for the day. Preparation is what makes this part bearable. I have not had surgery yet but have had to be on a liquid diet before for a couple of weeks. It is absolutely doable so try not to psyche yourself out.

I can honestly say that the pre-surgery liquid diet was the hardest part of this journey. Day 3 and 4 are usually the worst and you might feel like you have the flu. Just rest and sleep as much as you can. You can expect to have diarrhea and possibly breakthrough vaginal bleeding towards the end (I did). It’s normal, so don’t panic. It’s all part of flushing the food and toxins out of your body (and your liver). You can do this! It’s so worth it in the end, especially when you see how much weight you lost on surgery day.

Back