• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre-surgery advice

I am a new member and I'm scheduled for the Sleeve but now I'm kind of thinking of the other one! I will be having my 4th supervised weightloss visit next month. I have to have 6 before surgery

Your nutritionist will help you figure out a realistic goal on your weight loss, everyone is different, but any weight loss is a good thing, I started all this back in April, and had surgery on Dec 22, and have lost about 75 lbs so far, good luck with your journey

:confused: I am excited to become a member in your groups. I need any advice you can give pre-surgery about realistic goals. I am waiting for insurance coverage which should occur within six weeks :)
Depending on your insurance, you may be required to follow a dietician monitored weight loss program. I didn't have to, but it appears to be an exception. After the weight loss program, you begin the steps of having the surgery. You will meet once or twice with the surgeon and set your surgery date. Mine had to be set twice and each time I had to wait almost 2 months for the surgery. I was restricted to one surgeon, so if you have a choice, your wait might be less. Welcome to the group!!!

I am a new member and I'm scheduled for the Sleeve but now I'm kind of thinking of the other one! I will be having my 4th supervised weightloss visit next month. I have to have 6 before surgery
I had wanted the sleeve, but my insurance would only pay for bypass. I was bummed at first, but having had the surgery, I'm glad I went this route. Two friends of mine choice the sleeve and both of them went back to bad eating habits. With a bypass your stomach is small so at one time, you are limited to what you can eat at any one sitting, but you can get the bad habit of eating throughout the day. With sleeve, your stomach is bigger so you can eat more at a sitting and also eat throughout the day. This larger stomach scared me. I know we have many people on here who have been very successful with sleeve though. Strong willpower is a necessity.

My insurance wouldn't cover the sleeve. I had thought about having that but since insurance wouldn't cover it, I decided to do bypass. So far, so good. It's been 2 months since I started the liquid diet and soon will be 2 months since surgery. Best decision I have made.

Back