• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre Surgery Liquid diet

KirstyBrii

IT IS KILLING ME.... not really. I feel better since ive started.. but i generally miss food...... im 7 days in and my surgery day is March 9th... im super scared....... right now i just miss food. im trying not to break. I almost did last night. i almost made scrambled eggs to eat but instead i drank a protein shake and cried in my bathtub...... right now i feel like this surgery is not even worth it.. i know it is..... its just rough,....

my stats so far..

HW; 311
SW:306

Oh, man, Kirsty. I am sorry you're having such a hard time. The pre-op is worse than the liquid diet after surgery, especially mentally. You still have your large stomach so you're actually hungry AND you know that you're about to have a huge change to your lifestyle but you don't even get a last hurrah! Just be proud you're crying cuz it's hard but you stayed strong and not because you gave in. You can do this and you will be so freaking happy once you get past it.

You are going to improve your health and wellbeing for years to come. I would never suggest that it's always easy after surgery or that you'll never miss certain foods. (I'm not sure you actually have to give anything up but I do avoid things that I know trigger overeating). I feel like I'm 30 years old again. (I'm 50). It's a great thing you're doing for yourself and your future. It is totally worth it!

Kristy, After my surgery in July I was feeling very much like you’re feeling now. I’ve lost 82 pounds and feel great. I’m wearing much smaller clothes and looking forward to shedding my last 28 pounds until I reach my goal.

It’s going to get easier each day. Follow your eating plans that your surgery center has recommended. We can share ideas to get you through each stage. Just remember that this is temporary and you’re going to be a healthier you soon. You may want to binge watch something on Nexflx or enjoy a good book.

Hey Kristy, I’m right there with you, my op is the 10th. I have found everything to be SO sweet on my fast- it is nauseating. I don’t know if u feel the same but for every shake I drink I then have a small bit of something savory to balance it out...I don’t know what your dr allows but I can have small amounts of cottage cheese or V8 in addition to my 4 shakes. Hang in there, one more week. We’ve got this! And a good tub cry is ok. My dietician says of corse we might be emotional or scared right now, it’s a sign that we understand how impactful and life changing the surgery is.

I'm on day 10 of the pre surgery diet. Bypass scheduled for March 16th. Yeah this part sucks. Although it has gotten a bit easier. I know I'm not gonna like the 1 day of only clear liquids. I'll be ready for them to knock me out just so I can stop feeling hungry.

The working up to the surgery is definitely a challenge. Remember you are not alone. We are all thinking of you and wishing for you the best. I am coming up on my 1 month post surgery. I have experienced a couple of challenges but I do not regret. My son is like when can you eat real food. I don’t have an answer. But he will likely be the first to know.

Day 2 of pre-op diet and... I want cake. So I feel your struggle. I recommend to everyone that is trying to lose weight no matter what method that they are using to add Noom as a tool to help you along the way. They have a lot of practical and psychological helps in their short articles. I think you can get content without joining because my subscription ran out and I still have access. They help you to build your and set goals, give helps in how to deal with cravings, ways to change your life and your habits that lead to success. They do all this with humor and without making you feel like there's something wrong with you because you need to lose weight

I too have been wondering about Noom and appreciate the review. Anyone else here use it?
I did Noom for a while before I committed to surgery. I felt like it wasn't unlike many other programs. The coaching was nice, and it did provide many tips and strategies that people can use, I don't think it really proposed anything new or groundbreaking as far as diet and losing weight goes. It encourages eating things that are high in water to help hydrate and feel full, and tries to take a more psychological approach. I am sure it works for some people, at least temporarily. However, like all diets, it still requires caloric restriction, and I think for people who are significantly obese, it is impossible for any diet program to address the biological signals our brain sends out when we restrict calories (the leptin response specifically, and others).

I think it might be helpful for people who are just a bit "overweight" and can probably work through and improve their choices around foods before they move into the obese category, but it is really, really hard to successfully lose weight and keep it off after we are in the obese range. It is possible for some people though, but if most people were successful at dieting, it wouldn't be a multi-billion dollar industry because people would just diet, lose weight and keep it off easily. Most people gain it back and move on to another program or repeat the cycle several times.

What really needs to happen is instead of healthy foods being more expensive in this country, processed and convenience foods should be more expensive. We should be incentivising healthy food choices instead of making it easy for people to eat food that makes us more and more unhealthy and drives up disease and shortens life spans. Obviously, that is easier said that done, for many reasons, but as long as processed and unhealthy food is cheaper than healthy food, we are going to continue to have a crisis.

More important than my latent curiosity about any popular diet or therapy, it's probably good to note we are all here because we've chosen, or plan to choose, a surgical intervention. I don't have to diet any more, but part of my eating disorder is a constant struggle with negative scripts burned on my brain.

I'm always looking for information about how others combine surgery with nutritional changes in order to support lifetime health choices.

I hope I haven't led anyone (especially newbies) to think this is a support group for chronic dieters. The best nutritional choice I've ever made was RYGB surgery.

I'll always have an eating disorder. Having this group of peers is such a treasure.

Ryan, you bring up great points. The more I learn about the changes that not only obesity but the mass consumption of overly processed foods make to the way our bodies function, the more shocking I find it. I am amazed that some of these edible food products are allowed to be sold as "food" or are EVER allowed to call themselves "healthy". I personally am finding that real, whole foods are more filling and take longer to digest than processed foods. When you're trying to lose or maintain a healthy weight, that's important. My only real downfall in this area is artificial sweeteners. I spent many years diabetic and cannot seem to bring myself to use real sugar and automatically buy the "sugar free" varieties of any sweet products. Maple syrup is a great example. I'm really going to have to make a more concerted effort on this, as I know real maple syrup is actually better for me.

Re: I am sure it works for some people, at least temporarily. However, like all diets, it still requires caloric restriction, and I think for people who are significantly obese, it is impossible for any diet program to address the biological signals our brain sends out when we restrict calories (the leptin response specifically, and others).

I agree. Obviously, Noom didn't work for me (for weight loss) or I wouldn't be here. But I think it will be an invaluable tool for me because it teaches practical steps to help change the way we think about and our relationship with food.

Back