• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

pregnancy

maya79

Ok I have a bajillion questions....
I am 15months post-op HW 255 CW 149.
I just found out im pregnant. Hold your congrats and woo-hoos. I dont know as if I want to be pregnant.
I am 35 years old which is a risk in its own. And that plus being a wl patient I am afraid I can not support a healthy pregnancy. I have two older children to consider. I cant afford to be out of work dealing with a horrible pregnancy. I have considered terminating but cant handle a surgical abortion. I have read that a medication abortion is not effective. I just really really dont know what to do.
I am not totally ruling out carrying the baby, but afraid of the risks attacjed. Please help!!! Any info/advice / anything.

Having lost the weight you may have an easier pregnancy. But please talk to your dr office and maybe meet with the psychologist on staff.

Ok I have a bajillion questions....
I am 15months post-op HW 255 CW 149.
I just found out im pregnant. Hold your congrats and woo-hoos. I dont know as if I want to be pregnant.
I am 35 years old which is a risk in its own. And that plus being a wl patient I am afraid I can not support a healthy pregnancy. I have two older children to consider. I cant afford to be out of work dealing with a horrible pregnancy. I have considered terminating but cant handle a surgical abortion. I have read that a medication abortion is not effective. I just really really dont know what to do.
I am not totally ruling out carrying the baby, but afraid of the risks attacjed. Please help!!! Any info/advice / anything.

Years ago I had a friend who got pregnant a few months after weight loss surgery. She had an easy pregnancy and delivery. She had to have specific vitamins and supplements to support the pregnancy but except for that all went normally. I have read since then that many infertile obese women have weight loss surgery with pregnancy as their goal and then become fertile and go on to have normal healthy pregnancies. Being obese is a much greater health risk to a pregnancy than weight loss surgery. Also today many women don't even try to start families until they are in their mid to late thirties. My best friend's daughter just had a surprise baby girl at age 45 and all went perfectly great. Talk to your surgeon and to a gynecologist who has had patients with weight loss surgery. I'm sure it must be very common now because so many people have had bypass surgery.

Good luck to you!

Cheyenne

I had RNY in 2012 and just have birth to a beautiful, healthy baby boy 7 weeks ago. I am 30 yrs old. Speak With your surgeon and OB doctor before making any final decisions. Good luck :)

Back