• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

preparing for surgery 3 weeks dizzy and Nauseous

Amber-H

I am considering the sleeve bariatric surgery. I have been attempting to get insurance approval November of 2012. In 2012 I weighed 335 lbs. When I started my six month period to get approval this time I started at 352 lbs. My insurance company requires a 5% loss of weight before they will issue approval.

So the clinic put me on a weight loss plan that is four protein shakes a day and a meal of lean protein and veggies. So I have been trying to follow this diet for the past 3 weeks. Last week I went to the clinic and said I was very dizzy and Nauseous. They took lab work to see if I was dehydrated. I have not heard from them but looking at the results I am not dehydrated or is so only slightly, and my electrolytes are in the normal range. I am not a diabetic.

At my last appointment they told me if I get to 335 and my doctor charts it that would count. So Thursday I had a doctor appointment and I weight 334. I call my clinic to make sure this would count. Now they are telling me that my insurance will give authorization but that if I weigh more than 335 on the day of surgery that they would refuse to pay.

So pretty much the insurance people at the clinic said that I must remain on this diet even though it is making me sick until I have surgery. I asked for a nurse to call me about this. A dietician called me back and basically after a bit of discussion I said well it seems that my plan is to continue being sick until I can no longer stand it or I have surgery. Something that was mentioned is that the diet that I am following is pretty much what I must follow for several weeks after surgery, Maybe 3 months.

This leads to thoughts that I am having. If this diet is making me feel sick and that I must continue this diet for another six weeks give or take to have surgery and then follow this plan for another six to twelve weeks....... Maybe surgery is not for me?

Has anyone every had dizziness and nausea for several before surgery? Does it continue after surgery? I understand there is a liquid diet prep before surgery will this make my symptoms worse?

My surgeon only had me on the liquid diet 3 days before surgery. Every surgeon doesn't make you do a liquid diet for an extended period of time. I lost 35 lb eating an egg for breakfast, a small portion of chicken and green beans for lunch and supper, while getting ready for my surgery. Call around and find a different surgeon. I had the option of going with a surgeon who wanted me to go on liquid Optifast for a month before surgery. I kept on looking for a surgeon who was more to my liking. I needed to relearn how to eat food in smaller amounts, and that was easier to me than just drinking my food. I weighed out a small 1/4 of a chicken half breast. Boneless, skinless.. 40 calories. 1/4 cup green beans 20 calories. Stewed tomatoes 1/4 cup 18 calories. That is 78 calories. You could eat that 4 times a day and only be at 320 calories plus take a vitamin pill. Thats what I did and I have done pretty well without the liquid diet.

Good luck..

Cheyenne :)

Amber H could you be lactose intolerant ? If I were you, I'd try different protein drinks to see if that helped. Also are you recording your calorie intake and most importantly your fluid and protein consumption which should be at least 60 ounces and grams relatively. Since you are eating foods you've been eating most of your life I'm assuming I would guess that your problem lies somewhere in these three areas. You should be recording everything you eat and drink now so that after your surgery it will be a healthy habit. This will contribute to your successful weight loss and will be required by your Bariatric team so they can better serve you. Try these three changes and see how it goes. I hope this will help.

Amber H could you be lactose intolerant ? If I were you, I'd try different protein drinks to see if that helped. Also are you recording your calorie intake and most importantly your fluid and protein consumption which should be at least 60 ounces and grams relatively. Since you are eating foods you've been eating most of your life I'm assuming I would guess that your problem lies somewhere in these three areas. You should be recording everything you eat and drink now so that after your surgery it will be a healthy habit. This will contribute to your successful weight loss and will be required by your Bariatric team so they can better serve you. Try these three changes and see how it goes. I hope this will help.

Kate, you are probably right.. I'll bet Amber is lactose intolerant. Thats probably why she's having such a hard time with the shakes or possibly she could be allergic to something in the shakes like the whey or whatever.

Cheyenne

Bariatric Advantage sells a great ready to drink protein drink. Pro Joe. Shipping is expensive but the drinks are great. Mocha was my favorite and if I remember they are a rice protein. My dietician approved them.

Back