• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Prepping/waiting for surgery & forming new habits

GardenB

Howdy! This idea is borrowed from a post-surgery thread. Anyone want to join me in sharing how they are doing? I’m pre-op by about 4 months but practicing hitting protein and water levels so that it will be an established habit by the time surgery arrives. And I fell in love with the pool last month so I’m a month in to 4-5 times/wk exercising which is a HUGE change for me. I started a month ago just being able to move my legs while holding on to a kick board and felt so free! My kids are happy for me even if they are a bit confused. Not sure if I can deal with sipping water yet but it’s a goal. Lol.

Also, I did not want to be seen in a regular bathing suit so I bought something that covered lots more at calypsa.com. It was a game changer for me being willing to be seen in public. I also go during the adult swim time before the pool opens. It turns out people were friendly but moreover, no one seems to care. Everyone is working on their own thing and are engrossed in it.

Protein 35g
Water 62 oz
Dog paddling 40 min

Last edited:
Howdy! This idea is borrowed from a post-surgery thread. Anyone want to join me in sharing how they are doing? I’m pre-op by about 4 months but practicing hitting protein and water levels so that it will be an established habit by the time surgery arrives. And I fell in love with the pool last month so I’m a month in to 4-5 times/wk exercising which is a HUGE change for me. I started a month ago just being able to move my legs while holding on to a kick board and felt so free! My kids are happy for me even if they are a bit confused. Not sure if I can deal with sipping water yet but it’s a goal. Lol.

Also, I did not want to be seen in a regular bathing suit so I bought something that covered lots more at calypsa.com. It was a game changer for me being willing to be seen in public. I also go during the adult swim time before the pool opens. It turns out people were friendly but moreover, no one seems to care. Everyone is working on their own thing and are engrossed in it.

Protein 35g
Water 62 oz
Dog paddling 40 min
This is such an awesome idea to start this thread to establish good eating, drinking, and movement habits before surgery. Wow!!! You and everybody who jumps in here and joins most likely will have much greater positive outcomes during and post WLS. I wish you had been perched on my shoulder whispering great advice before I had my gastric bypass last July. ❤❤❤❤

I’ve finished all the pre-op requirements and am waiting on the he Dr final review and approval. I think scheduling should be the next call.
In the mean time I hit a stressful period and put on about 12 pounds. Thankfully I’ve tightened up my efforts and have dropped 17 pounds (409-421-404) by reducing intake and working on my exercise bike.
I really want to get this surgery completed.

@GardenB This is a great idea. I also tried to establish new habits before surgery and it helped a lot after surgery. I never had a problem with protein but didn't realize how easy it is when you eat 3000 calories a day rather that 800-1000.
I used to drink a TON with meals, so I really worked on that before surgery and most of the time it doesn't even phase me.
The sipping is only temporary after surgery, you will be drinking pretty normally again before you know it. I am 4 months post-op and can drink a 16-20oz. bottle of water in less than 30 minutes now.
Best of luck with your prepping/retraining goals! You got this!

The best exercise for you is one that you enjoy! Happy for you that you found you enjoy the pool! Me, too! About 3 years ago, I was taking a class at our local YMCA called Diabetes Prevention Program. It's underwritten by the CDC and had some really good materials. We had great facilitators and as part of the program, we tried out different exercise and fitness activities. I tried Aqua Zumba and found my thing!! I've been consistently going to those classes 3 times per week and during the early Covid times when gyms re-opened, a friend invited me to the pool at 5:30 a.m. on weekday mornings and I have never looked back. I have been in a 6-7 day/week routine in the pool and it helped in so many ways other than weight loss. My bloodwork was changing, my body was getting stronger, my cardiovascular system was in better shape, it is a great stress reliever! When I had my surgery mid-May, I had to be out of the water for 4 weeks. That was tough! I was back for a few weeks and then out again with Covid. Finally, healthy and back at it again. My zumba instructor told me this weekend that it was time for a smaller suit as my rear was baggy!! NSV!! I also think being in better shape going into surgery helped me in recovery. Keep working on the protein and water. I never loved protein, other dairy based protein and a little meat. But I'm doing pretty well with it. I don't hit my goals every day, but I'm close. I definitely was sipping fluids after surgery but as time goes on, I take several sips at a time and it feels natural. You've got this!! I love your positive attitude!

Hi— love the idea—
I’m pre-op by 15 days— tomorrow is my last day to eat a full days meals, I start my liquid diet Tuesday. I’m excited, terrified, so happy, and apprehensive. I LOVE to cook, and love to eat, so it’s hard for me give it up/to say goodbye. I need to make new habits—
any of you chefs out there? Did you stop cooking after surgery? What did you do to take its place?
I need new habits!

Hi— love the idea—
I’m pre-op by 15 days— tomorrow is my last day to eat a full days meals, I start my liquid diet Tuesday. I’m excited, terrified, so happy, and apprehensive. I LOVE to cook, and love to eat, so it’s hard for me give it up/to say goodbye. I need to make new habits—
any of you chefs out there? Did you stop cooking after surgery? What did you do to take its place?
I need new habits!

Hi Jodie, you couldn't ask a better question for ME to answer! I too am a chef/cook/baker, and quite talented. I'm not bragging. I've had a whole following of friends dying for an invite to dinner or hoping I'd bring something by already. You can see my albums at my profile and judge for yourself.

Do not give it up, girl~

Also, I did not want to be seen in a regular bathing suit so I bought something that covered lots more at calypsa.com. It was a game changer for me being willing to be seen in public.

I feel ya! I wanted to work out at the Y, and that included swimming. Even though I was in my 40s, I didn't know how to swim. I'd almost drowned in a small swimming hole in my teens because I only knew how to backstroke. I stopped for a second and tried to get vertical so I could see how far I was from the shore, and my legs were suddenly wrapped up in underwater weeds. It freaked me out and I started to try to get away, but again, didn't know how to swim so I just went down under the water. Luckily, my dad was on the shore and came tearing out to me and grabbed me and swam me to shore. I never wanted to get in that situation again, but he said, If you fall off a horse, get right back on, and made me go back in the water.

Eventually I started swimming at the various YMCAs near me, but not really swimming. I always stayed near the edge and just sort of dog-paddled, as you say, but the urge to swim was so strong, I eventually took real swimming lessons with a trained lifeguard as instructor. That happened around the same time I had RYGB, and eventually I was able to swim 3 full laps before I had to get out of the water.

But there's that swimsuit issue you note. I found there was so much swimwear for different figures--little skirts if you're big-bottomed, and the Slimsuit, which is what I chose for several reasons. It was lined with a girdle-type thing, so it felt really secure, like someone was holding or hugging me. I really needed that sense of security. And it also gave me an actual hourglass figure, even though I was still overweight, and kept adapting as I lost weight. I'm sure you can still buy them, though I'm STILL using my slimsuit 20 years after I bought it. It was expensive, but totally worth it.

We suffer from so much body-shaming. I'm grateful someone saw the market for pretty swimwear for bigger women.

this swimsuit is on Poshmark right now, and it's almost identical to mine:

The way the floral inset curves in give that hourglass shape, and the black sides make you look 10 or 20 pounds lighter.

Hi— love the idea—
I need new habits!
You're almost there! So close now.
You don't have to find "different" habits, just create new ones. You can still cook and enjoy it! Just start learning how to cook much healthier and cooking meals around your new lifestyle. It will be like learning to cook all over again, you might even find it to be fun. Good luck!

Protein 35g
Water 62 oz
Dog paddling 40 min
I have also been doing some pre op changes also mostly protein shakes for breakfast and increase my water intake. I am up to 32 oz. Pretty soon I be changing from regular coffee to decaf. I don’t want to shock my body all at once .
Lol

Back