• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Price of Weight Loss Surgery

nogginsv

Does anyone know why weight loss surgery in America has to be so costly and why they can't cut cost. There are a lot of Americans going to other countries to get weight loss surgery because they are much cheaper and even with insurance they come out at a cheaper overall cost. Why can't America do better with the cost of certain procedures?

There’s no good answer to that question. Hospital costs are enormous, insurance would rather cover everything that goes along with obesity but they treat it like a cosmetic procedure, and surgeons can charge (almost) whatever they want for preforming the surgery. But I know someone who went to Mexico for the sleeve, and she received no preop care, no counseling, no dietitian instructions, and was still taking OTC medications that can harm her new stomach. Now I’m not saying it’s like that with all the Mexican weight loss surgery centers, this is only one example. I don’t think all those other things should massively increase the cost though.

Hmm. I won't get into the profitability/politics of healthcare, which is the actual answer. However, keep in mind the Mexican Peso is worth about one US nickel. So, if you're paying $5000 USD to have surgery, it's over 99,000 pesos. Not such a great deal, as they have universal health coverage. Although, they are ranked higher in quality of care worldwide than we are. There was a person on here at one point who was going to China to have her surgery. Surgery and her hospital stay were relatively cheap. But the stay included ONLY the room. Everything, down to her food had to be brought or bought. Including nursing care, which had to be hired daily. That has to add up.
So if you are considering going to another country for WLS, make sure you consider all the costs involved, as it is never just a flat fee.

Back