• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

procedure aborted....will have to go again!

Mimi G

Hey, guys..... just want to update you since my surgery date was 8/9 (2 days ago). I went in, all went well pre-op, then in the OR my MD found tons of adhesions (scar tissue from an old gall bladder surgery probably), a tumor (has turned out to be benign), and my liver was still on the bigger side so ventilating me after 2 hours was becoming difficult. He decided it was safer to close and try again after I lost more weight. I woke up so relieved it was over, only to hear the words, "well, they tried". My heart just dropped. There I was, in a crapload of pain, and it was all for nothing! Of course, I didn't know about the tumor for another couple of hours, and by then I had my senses back enough to realize that it needed to be my primary concern at that point. It turned out to be pancreatic tissue that had somehow broken loose from my pancreas and attached to my small intestine. I'd never heard of anything like it, but the surgeon said it sometimes happens and they will leave it be since it's small and not hurting anything. I'm very thankful for that!

I am SO disappointed! He did the right thing, and I appreciate his wisdom, but..... I just wish it had all been different.
On the good side, I am not afraid of the surgery any longer. Surgeon said I'm probably in more pain now than I will be then because he won't have to dig around and check every inch of intestine/bowel next time and the liver will be smaller next time so there will be less pulling and tugging. I know what to expect, and have met his whole OR team (uses the same group foor all RNYs on Fridays). The floor staff were great and I know they will take good care of me again.
The plan is to stay on clear liquids for a week, then return to the pre-op diet for a month or so. What if it doesn't work? I can truthfully say I obeyed it for all 3 weeks before this surgery. What if there's something wrong with me and the 20-40 lbs won't come off????? I can't stay like this!
Mimi G.

I'm just

I can't imagine waking up to it not being done! That had to be devastating! Although, I am glad that the surgeon just didn't go thru with it, and had a possible bad out come! Just keep on with the diet plan, and you will be great. Even if it takes a bit longer, it is for YOUR health!

Back