• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Process

It was about 2 months for mine. Once the psych eval was done, they sent the request to insurance (about a week after the eval) and approval came through in about a week. Once it was back, then my surgeon had to schedule me for pre-op testing and we had to wait for those results to come back. Once that happened, they then had to schedule me to meet with the dietician and to attend a class. Then I was scheduled for my surgery. I feel like every surgeon's office is going to be different.

I am on Medicare & Blue Cross/Blue Shield and was required to attend an intro class, monthly meetings with the nutritionist and the Physician Assistant, 2 psych evals. I started 7 months ago and the last month has been the optional monthly group support meetings via Zoom. Once the restrictions are lifted I will meet with the surgeon, do pre-op tests, schedule the surgery and do the two weeks liver shrinking diet. The monthly support group is optional for as long as I want to attend.

I "lucked out" because my first surgery for Lap Band was paid out of pocket, although I did have partial coverage for hernia done at the same time. I did not have to do anything other than get an EGD and pay the fee to get that surgery (perhaps that should have been a red flag to my naive mind). When I had to get my first revision, I also did not require any of the pre-reqs because it was assumed that I knew how to eat and deal based on having a prior WLS. My last surgeon for the revision to bypass did require that I see the nutritionist, just to be certain that I had a refresher of how to eat post surgery, but since that revision was not for weight loss, I did not have to do any other of the usual steps.

Honestly, it all happened so quickly. I had my first bariatric appointment, got all the appointments/tests scheduled ASAP. I had to loose 10% of my weight, which I did within 2 months and by then already had all my other appointments/tests done. At that point I was given a surgery date. The whole process from initial consultation to surgery took me less than than 3 months.

I started my journey in November. I had to meet with a nurse practitioner to discuss if I understand what is the surgery is all about. Then I had to go to 2 nutrition class (1 a month) then meet with my dietitian. Then I had my psych eval and had to do that for 5 weeks (1 a week). Then I had to meet with the surgeon to decide which procedure we feel is the best. Then they said they were sending all information to insurance as of last week. So I am in a waiting period right now. They just started elective surgeries again so I don't know how long that will be. I am so anxious in excitement. I just want to know Yes or No from my insurance LOL.
So its been a 7 month process.

It was about 2 months for mine. Once the psych eval was done, they sent the request to insurance (about a week after the eval) and approval came through in about a week. Once it was back, then my surgeon had to schedule me for pre-op testing and we had to wait for those results to come back. Once that happened, they then had to schedule me to meet with the dietician and to attend a class. Then I was scheduled for my surgery. I feel like every surgeon's office is going to be different.
2 months.defiantly the shortest time ive seen.but hey got it done.

I am on Medicare & Blue Cross/Blue Shield and was required to attend an intro class, monthly meetings with the nutritionist and the Physician Assistant, 2 psych evals. I started 7 months ago and the last month has been the optional monthly group support meetings via Zoom. Once the restrictions are lifted I will meet with the surgeon, do pre-op tests, schedule the surgery and do the two weeks liver shrinking diet. The monthly support group is optional for as long as I want to attend.
Thats not bad at all.your probably hoping the restrictions lifted so you can get this done already.

I "lucked out" because my first surgery for Lap Band was paid out of pocket, although I did have partial coverage for hernia done at the same time. I did not have to do anything other than get an EGD and pay the fee to get that surgery (perhaps that should have been a red flag to my naive mind). When I had to get my first revision, I also did not require any of the pre-reqs because it was assumed that I knew how to eat and deal based on having a prior WLS. My last surgeon for the revision to bypass did require that I see the nutritionist, just to be certain that I had a refresher of how to eat post surgery, but since that revision was not for weight loss, I did not have to do any other of the usual steps.
That's great you didnt have to do any other steps.

Honestly, it all happened so quickly. I had my first bariatric appointment, got all the appointments/tests scheduled ASAP. I had to loose 10% of my weight, which I did within 2 months and by then already had all my other appointments/tests done. At that point I was given a surgery date. The whole process from initial consultation to surgery took me less than than 3 months.
Wow that's great

I started my journey in November. I had to meet with a nurse practitioner to discuss if I understand what is the surgery is all about. Then I had to go to 2 nutrition class (1 a month) then meet with my dietitian. Then I had my psych eval and had to do that for 5 weeks (1 a week). Then I had to meet with the surgeon to decide which procedure we feel is the best. Then they said they were sending all information to insurance as of last week. So I am in a waiting period right now. They just started elective surgeries again so I don't know how long that will be. I am so anxious in excitement. I just want to know Yes or No from my insurance LOL.
So its been a 7 month process.
Omg i hate the waiting game.I feel like the insurance is gonna be the scary part for me

I think the fact that they have a waiting time now is a very good idea. Not because it makes you wait, but because you become educated about how to eat differently, what size portions to eat, why protein is important, why you should drink water and all the other things that you are educated about. Plus they get to get a real sense of whether or not you are truly suited for this kind of surgery because it's not some dinky little thing. It is a huge change to your body and you cannot really put it back if you don't like it.

Back