• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protein drinks and GERD

Sharon1945

Just getting set to start Protein drink diet for surgery end of May per insurance. Am having Gastric Bypass to cure Silent Gerd. Have read protein drinks cause GERD? Am I going to be coughing my lungs out till surgery?

Not all protein drinks cause GERD. Look for whey protein, high bio-availability and absorption and you should not have an issue. The thinner it is, the better absorption and less issues with GERD. Also, you can get medically unflavored whey protein and add it to soups and broth, which can help as well and you'll meet the protein goals. Best of luck on your surgery, welcome to the group. :)

Not all protein drinks cause GERD. Look for whey protein, high bio-availability and absorption and you should not have an issue. The thinner it is, the better absorption and less issues with GERD. Also, you can get medically unflavored whey protein and add it to soups and broth, which can help as well and you'll meet the protein goals. Best of luck on your surgery, welcome to the group. :)

Thanks so much. I meet with nutritionalist Monday, but she is not accustomed to patents having the Gastric Bypass for GERD. This is give me a starting point

Back