• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protein shakes

pldisiz7

I'm so confused as to which protein drink, shake, powder to use before and after surgery. They gave me a list but none of them match up with 15gms protein, 5gms fat and 15gms carbs. The only one I found close is Bariatric Advantage but it's expensive and it needs to be 200 calories. I need your expertise. My surgery is September 29th

Can you explain this a little bit more? Are you saying that your medical team requires you to eat foods that contain 15 grams of protein and 15 grams of carbohydrate, plus 5G of fat? And you are forbidden to eat any food that doesn't match this combination? I can hardly believe that. Please say more.

Try reading this old post, and also search for protein shakes in our recipes forum.

It's really easy to increase the protein grams in a protein shake. I think all the Old Pros here have done it.

I really don't think you need to be that particular regarding a protein drink. My clinic said any protein drink with 20g of protein and 15g or less of carbs is just fine. Calories and fat weren't a consideration. Unless you are getting a keto drink, the fat is usually quite low. I'm all for following the guidelines they give you, but that seems a little too restrictive than necessary to me. A lot of people on here drink shakes with 30g of protein, 4g of carbs and 3g of fat, or something close to that.

My dietician looked at my Protein Shake Brand, she approved it.
Vanilla Pure Protein 100% Whey. U can buy it in Walmart its in a Blue & White Container 25 grams of Protein., 9 grams Carbs
Then U can add Fruits or Extracts or MIO or similar to make different flavors. Fruits depending on what stage U R in your Diet

R U looking for just 15 grams?

My dietician looked at my Protein Shake Brand, she approved it.
Vanilla Pure Protein 100% Whey. U can buy it in Walmart its in a Blue & White Container 25 grams of Protein., 9 grams Carbs
Then U can add Fruits or Extracts or MIO or similar to make different flavors. Fruits depending on what stage U R in your Diet

R U looking for just 15 grams?
Yes. I am pre op. So I'm trying to do what I need to do. Nutrionist did say I didn't have to follow it exactly, then why did she give me guidelines? And why can't I drink one with 30gms of protein? I'm so confused. This is for the 2 weeks before surgery. I also am to eat food it's not a totally liquid diet.

Not sticking to the different diets in the beginning is NOT good, b/c U will find yourself making excuses to add one more thing & that could lead to destruction in your diet. Before U know it, your out of control & gaining your weight back.

Dieticians who say this to patients is NOT good, when I had my Lapband the dietician also said to me, don't worry about gaining weight if U eat the wrong thing, this Lapband will make sure U keep the weight off. U will be able to eat things U want. LIE, LIE, LIE.

Yes its all hard, I had Lapband 15 yrs ago, I went almost back to my full weight after 5 yrs. I'm the type of person that needs Journals daily. And not to give myself excuses for eating something I'm not suppose to. People always say we R taking the easy way out having Surgery, they should only try it, its NOT easy at all. Its constant monitoring yourself day in & day out to stay on course.

I am scheduled for Gastric Bypass Surgery Sept 16th, I have been through this diet stuff before. So hopefully this Surgery will do it for me & I behave w/ the New Course of Eating Habits now. I've gotten older & have been eating more Veggies & Protein over the yrs. So its just a matter of having a good restriction on my stomach.

Good Luck w your Surgery. We can do it. What surgery R U having?

It's really commendable that you are obeying your nutritionist guidelines. She knows what is best to eat before and after surgery.

But if you find something with more protein content, as Ryan mentioned, call your nutritionist and ask if it's okay for you to eat this. You may have misunderstood the latitude you have with protein shakes.

People who have already experienced this know that there is wiggle room. But your nutritionist gives you these guidelines because this type of eating is something you probably haven't ever done before. Most of the time, guidelines are just that: guidelines. They are not to be taken literally.

But considering the position you're in, as a person carrying a lot of excess weight that accumulated because of an eating disorder, it's best to follow the rules as close to the letter as you possibly can.

It seems most people do not think they have an eating disorder, even though they are a hundred or two hundred pounds overweight. But a disorder is simply something that is out of order, meaning it's not working. No one carries that much extra weight without having an eating disorder.

It's so great that we get to have a nutritionist to educate us before and after the surgery. Learn what you can from her and do your own studies as well.

I imagine your nutritionist would have no problem with you drinking a shake that has 30g of protein in it. Just know how many protein grams are supposed to consume in a day, and make sure you meet that goal. Everything else is just extra. This is a great time for you to learn the protein content of every food you might ever eat.

You don't want to fall into bad habits or eat the way you used to eat. But you want to succeed and be able to find a normal way of eating for you that includes ordinary foods other people eat. You just have to have the guidelines tattooed onto your brain so you don't get out of balance and return to bad habits.

Congratulations on making the decision that is going to allow you to have a good life with good health for the rest of your life.

I'm so confused as to which protein drink, shake, powder to use before and after surgery. They gave me a list but none of them match up with 15gms protein, 5gms fat and 15gms carbs. The only one I found close is Bariatric Advantage but it's expensive and it needs to be 200 calories. I need your expertise. My surgery is September 29th

Hi there Pldisiz

I suggest that you try to follow whatever plan your surgical team has laid out for you. I would also suggest that you not buy a massive quantity of shakes for after surgery. Your tastes may change and you'd be stuck with shakes you can't drink.

I drank/drink the Premier Protein shakes - and I also use protein powder to make shakes. I prefer to make my own shakes. I like to create new flavors - Chocolate Cake Batter - Butterfingers - Thin Mint Cookies - Lemon Cheesecake - Orange Cream. There are a lot of recipes that make shakes very yummy.

Best of luck on your amazing life changing journey!

Hi Tracey,
I would call the dietician again, to explain, maybe she meant don't take less than 15 grams for each liquid drink & that would make more sense. I try not to take less than 15 gr for my protein in my drinks & broth, so I can reach my 100 protein grams a day. Prior to Surgery. This is the way my doctor does it.

Protein helps fill U so U don't get as hungry, so U don't cheat your diet.

You really need to check it out w/ your doctors office, so U understand what they R saying to U. You need to shrink your liver for surgery, so they have less problems during surgery. Good Luck Sorry U R struggling.

Back