• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Psych eval gone wrong......

I wish I would have seen this before I had my psych evaluation. She cleared me but labeled me as “major depressive disorder” (I answered no to that question I told her I did not feel depressed at all ) , tangential and disinhibited and it upset me so much when I got on my medical portal and printed copies of that. They have to find some thing to label you with! Tangential means flight of ideas but she was asking me questions so fast that I did change the topic sometimes in order to answer all of her questions. I am not shy and when she asked me questions I answered them honestly and it must’ve embarrassed her about personal issues in the bedroom. Disinhibited means rude or socially unacceptable!!?? Really??? Needless to say when we had our next zoom meeting I did not respond to any of her questions in a group setting

I understand what you mean and how you feel. But it must be said about anyone who allows themselves to become obese, either a little bit or a lot, that's short of a glandular condition, depression is the next place to look.

Depression doesn't always mean you will appear sad to the outside world no. It doesn't mean that you can't get out of bed because an active life is simply unbearable. It doesn't mean anything negative. It is an important diagnostic tool and it should be completely investigated because it doesn't go away all by itself. It doesn't even go away when you win the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes. Depression is about who you think you are, and that often includes a cloak of shame that you wear but you did not create. Children are shamed by parents, by Churches, by other children, even by cutting out paper dolls and putting paper clothes on them. Shame comes when you're playing with your Barbie doll. Shame comes when you see other girls or boys well-dressed and well fitting clothes. Ironically, shame is nothing to be ashamed of.

Shame can be defeated but it has to be reversed exactly the same way it was imposed on you in the first place. Getting rid of shame requires repetition of positive thinking. You can also enhance your walk away from shame by buying or getting pretty things or stylish clothes for men or women and then wearing or displaying them proudly.

There is nothing shameful about shame or depression or tangential thinking or disinhibitation. Everyone experiences the same exact things whether they feel shame or not, whether they are depressed or not

But your body is telling the story of your self-esteem and that involves feeling depressed. I don't think anyone since King Kamehameha has felt joy about eating to the point of bursting and rubbing his belly proudly, hiring courtesans to massage his belly so he could eat more and more food.

Sometimes we cannot analyze our own feelings and we can't even be honest about our lives. Sometimes the reality of life is just way too painful.

Very few people are rude or socially unacceptable because they are disinhibited. Disinhibitation actually leads to joyful expressions of freedom, from not being tied down to other people's ideas. Disinhibitation is something we all strive for but many of us never achieve, because we are just too ashamed about being so fat.

I remember in years and years of therapy never talking about my body. I would talk about anything and I mean anything. But I could not talk about my body because I was helpless and addicted and it was my destiny to get diabetes, heart disease, cardiovascular disease, enlarged liver, and other organ destruction that ran in my family.

I hope you don't write the therapist off. Being told you have major depression is not an insult. It is a wake-up call. And you can change it. You can live a life with no depression, only occasional and appropriate sadness. I encourage you to look at how you feel and why you feel this way. In other words why are you so resistant to the labels?

When someone is interviewing you and asking questions and you feel compelled to answer them quickly, don't. Your best defense against being badgered for an answer is to stop and take a breath, repeat the question, ask the asker if you understand what he or she just said, stall for time formulating your best and most accurate answer

And Marcia, welcome to the group. Thank you for being so honest and expressive with us. I hope we can offer you support and help when you need it and that you will do the same for us.

Last edited:
I I understand what you mean and how you feel. But it must be said about anyone who allows themselves to become obese, either a little bit or a lot yeah, that's short of a glandular condition, depression is the next place to look.

Depression doesn't always mean you will appear sad to the outside world no. It doesn't mean that you can't get out of bed because an active life is simply unbearable. It doesn't mean anything negative. It is an important diagnostic tool and it should be completely investigated because it doesn't go away all by itself. It doesn't even go away when you win the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes. Depression is about who you think you are, and that often includes a cloak of shame that you wear but you did not create. Children are shamed by parents, by Churches, by other children, even by cutting out paper dolls and pudding paper clothes on them. Shame comes when you're playing with your Barbie doll. Shame comes when you see other girls or boys well-dressed and well fitting clothes. ironically, shame is nothing to be ashamed of.

shame shame can be defeated but it has to be reversed exactly the same way it was imposed on you in the first place. Getting rid of Shame requires repetition of positive thinking. You can also enhance your walk away from shame by buying or getting pretty things for stylish clothes for men or women and then wearing or displaying them proudly.

there is nothing shameful about there is nothing shameful about shame or depression or tangential thinking or disinhibitation. everyone experiences the same exact things whether they feel shame or not, whether they are depressed or not

But your body is telling the story of your self-esteem and that involves feeling depressed. I don't think anyone since King Kamehameha has felt Joy about eating to the point of bursting and rubbing his belly proudly, hiring courtesans to massage his belly so he could eat more and more food.

Sometimes we cannot analyze our own feelings and we can't even be honest about our lives. Sometimes the reality of life is just way too painful.

Very few people are rude or socially unacceptable because they are disinhibited. Disinhibitation actually leads to joyful expressions of freedom, from not being tied down to other people's ideas. Disinhibitation is something we all strive for but many of us never achieve, because we are just too ashamed about being so fat.

I remember I remember in years and years of therapy never talking about my body. I would talk about anything and I mean anything. But I could not talk about my body because I was helpless and addicted and it was my destiny to get diabetes, heart disease, cardiovascular disease, enlarged liver, and other organ destruction that ran in my family.

I hope I hope you don't write the therapist off. Being told you have major depression is not an insult. It is a wake-up call. And you can change it. You can live a life with no depression, only occasional and appropriate sadness. I encourage you to look at how you feel and why you feel this way. In other words why are you so resistant to the labels?

When someone is interviewing you and asking questions and you feel compelled to answer them quickly, don't. Your best defense against being badgered for an answer is to stop and take a breath, repeat the question ask the asker if you understand what he or she just said, stall for time making up your it best and most accurate answer

And Marsha, welcome to the group. Thank you for being so honest and expressive with us. I hope we can offer you support and help when you need it and that you will do the same for us.
I don’t know if you are a therapist, psychologist or what but I thought this was a board for support and I didn’t need to have therapy. Lol. I do feel like therapist have to look for a label that’s just part of their job they’re looking for a reason. I have a hereditary family history of losing and gaining weight, diabetes, heart disease and hypertension. I do not have major depression that’s all there is to it I’m treated like a queen and happily married . we live in a beautiful area and I am not resistant to labels I’m just very honest. Thank you for your reply but I might be careful about how I post my feelings with such a response. I am surprised. No need to answer me again.

I don’t know if you are a therapist, psychologist or what but I thought this was a board for support and I didn’t need to have therapy. Lol. I do feel like therapist have to look for a label that’s just part of their job they’re looking for a reason. I have a hereditary family history of losing and gaining weight, diabetes, heart disease and hypertension. I do not have major depression that’s all there is to it I’m treated like a queen and happily married . we live in a beautiful area and I am not resistant to labels I’m just very honest. Thank you for your reply but I might be careful about how I post my feelings with such a response. I am surprised. No need to answer me again.

Therapists do NOT look for labels. They are train to identify stuff that is there yes but also weed out those that are healthy and no mental health issues. Beleive it or not people get just as offended as you are getting about a label when they don't get a label.

If it were me, I would talk to the person about why you were dx that way, what did they see that made them come to that conclusion. Just because its there doesn't mean you can't talk it through and potentially have it changed.

It sounds like you have a good home life with a lot of support. I can understand why her labeling you those would make you upset. I would be upset too. I’m the type of person who will overthink a situation like this until I get some answers. If it’s possible, have a one on one with her, express your frustration and tell her you want to understand why she made those conclusions. It’s possible she wasn’t understanding you. Not all obese people are depressed, so to put that on you isn’t right. Being open with her is important, and you should feel safe talking to her without worrying about how she labels you. I think a lot of us are labeled enough by everyone else, so being unexpectedly and unfairly labeled by a mental health professional is jarring.

I agree that less is more. I told the shrink right off the bat, that "yes, I obviously have some kind of eating disorder, otherwise I wouldn't be sitting in her office and trying to get bariatric surgery scheduled". This made her laugh. Then I immediately followed up with, " I am not depressed, I have no plan to harm myself, I don't binge and purge, I simply overeat. I have tried several diets and was successful for a while but then went back to my old ways of eating. I see this surgery not as a cure but as a tool. I know I need to change my mindset about food and I am ready to do that." She looked at me and replied, well, alright, you answered pretty much every question I was going to ask you." We both laughed and she asked a few more innocuous questions, then gave me her stamp of approval. It's sad to think that you can be nervous and say one wrong thing that might cause them to raise a red flag. I get that they want you to be successful, but to me, the fact that you have made this decision proves you have given this some thought and are ready for change. Good luck to you.
I personally think what you did is key. Direct and honest. People in the therapy world can tell when people are lying or if something is "off" in what they say. They do dig into stuff like somebody else said, because it is a long term thing and they have to make sure you are ready. There are people who can do what they have to to get to the surgery but then don't continue a healthy path. These are the people they are trying to weed out and make sure they get the help they need before hand.

Beleive it or not therapists, psychologist and psychiatrist do not go into it with the intent to screw people over.

Back