• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Psych eval

Hello All!

Just finished my psych eval and despite her congratulating me on joining and reviewing this forum, meal planning and prepping, and increasing activity (I used to do 10,000-12,000 steps a day now 18,000-20,000 with my sis), she said she’s marking me as pending with a follow up in 6 weeks. My anxiety score was an 8, 5-9 is mild. She wants that down. I have GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) so I thought the 8 was great‍♀️
I'm not too bummed but I thought I was doing so well that it would be a breeze, especially since my last manic episode was over a year ago which she said if it were more recent, I'd be on hold for a year so they could track stability. I know and understand it's a process, it has just left me feeling...”did that really just happen?” Anyhow, thank you for allowing me this space and I hope you all are having a wonderful day!

I have GAD as well. I definitely had more anxiety around the time of my appointments. There are times when it was worse than others, but when I looked at the big picture (which is extremely difficult for me) of having surgery and what that meant, it helped me. Everyone has their own coping tools, and knowing all the benefits of surgery helped me through some difficult times.

I have GAD as well. I definitely had more anxiety around the time of my appointments. There are times when it was worse than others, but when I looked at the big picture (which is extremely difficult for me) of having surgery and what that meant, it helped me. Everyone has their own coping tools, and knowing all the benefits of surgery helped me through some difficult times.

I think it would be helpful to start seeing this as the big picture, rather than unconnected steps. Because it will definitely send me into overdrive if I keep viewing things as roadblocks and barriers, rather than building blocks to a better life with a solid foundation. Thank you!

I think it would be helpful to start seeing this as the big picture, rather than unconnected steps. Because it will definitely send me into overdrive if I keep viewing things as roadblocks and barriers, rather than building blocks to a better life with a solid foundation. Thank you!
I literally love this. I am really proud of you for deciding to change your point of view on this. Because you're right .. you're going to really appreciate that extra solid foundation down the road.

I'm Getting so much closer!
this whole jump through the hoops and do all the appointments before the surgery has been frustrating I live an hour away frome the Dr and Hospital. I'm such an instant gratification kind of person and I don't have a lot of patience for things that I want I want be healthier I want to be able to walk without feeling like I'm going to fall over from pain I want to vacation I want to roller skate this process should be called a 11-step program
1 consultation (surgeon agreed to do surgery)
2 seminar (listen to surgery options and just how hard life will be afterwards)
3 sleep study ( attempt to sleep in a strange place connected to two dozen wires receive a new diagnosis of sleep apnea) more appointments Go To Sleep Clinic to be put on CPAP
4 ultrasound (yep your gallbladder is in there it needs to come out schedule another surgery)
5 lab work ( swab poke pee in a cup your doctor will call you with results)
6 phsy eval (answer 600 true false questions about you and people around you and whether or not you want to be a professional wrestler or news sportscaster
7 nutrition class ( protein protein protein no soda no straw no chewing gum protein water water water you going to be hungry mealtime as you know it has ended)
8 endoscopy (go to sleep wake up with pictures of inside your stomach) a 45-minute procedure that I waited two hours in the hospital to receive
9 EKG ( Drive all the to the hospital wait an hour and a half sit down for 15 minutes with sticky all over you
10 IV filter surgery
11 bariatric surgery

Welp.. Road block speed bump hurdle how ever ppl want to see it I feel like it's a brick wall
I have failed my psych eval for major depression and suicidal thoughts.. Which delays any forward action Untill I complete 12 CBT therapy sessions and get reevaluated when I schedule the therapy the first opening is not till the end of October and it's over the phone some one tell me how this it gonna improve my mental health I may give up on this whole journey.

Welp.. Road block speed bump hurdle how ever ppl want to see it I feel like it's a brick wall
I have failed my psych eval for major depression and suicidal thoughts.. Which delays any forward action Untill I complete 12 CBT therapy sessions and get reevaluated when I schedule the therapy the first opening is not till the end of October and it's over the phone some one tell me how this it gonna improve my mental health I may give up on this whole journey.
Omg I feel so badly for you, esp bc you seemed to be so close to getting approved. I'm sure they want to be super careful that any possible emotional issues are addressed before surgery, which often causes hormonal changes and complete lifestyle changes that could trigger depression for many of us. Plus, they have to cover their butts, right?

Please don't let this become anything more than just one more hurdle on this life's obstacle course. You have the strength to continue, after having come this far. If you feel up to it, you might to read some of the "Daily Inspiration" posts here. They might help put this in perspective.

We care about you here, and you have lots of friendly encouragement, advice and support available here. You got this, girl. ❤❤❤❤

Please don’t give up. Take this time to learn more and better prepare yourself. While I didn’t fail my psyc eval, my insurance did add on my psych and dietitian visits after I’d already started. It was super frustrating, but I decided to take it as a sign that I was able to get more information, have more time to ask questions, and make sure I was mentally and emotionally ready for this huge life event.

It turns me into a chase Your Tail.. Catch-22 Circle my weight causes me pain and depression and because I'm depressed I can't have access to the tools to lose the weight I've been thinking and studying and preparing for a couple of years
All therapist around my area or so backed up that there aren't any appointments to the end of October so now my 12-weekly sessions have turned into 16 weeks before I can be re-evaluated

So sorry. Please don't give up. So many people here have had delays for one reason or another. Keep moving ahead and you will get there.

It turns me into a chase Your Tail.. Catch-22 Circle my weight causes me pain and depression and because I'm depressed I can't have access to the tools to lose the weight I've been thinking and studying and preparing for a couple of years
All therapist around my area or so backed up that there aren't any appointments to the end of October so now my 12-weekly sessions have turned into 16 weeks before I can be re-evaluated
Mama, get the therapist. Jump through the hoops. The system in your area is stacked against you.

"Never give up until you get your miracle."

We are here to support and listen.

Mama C, I am sorry to hear that this has happened. I was so impressed with your attitude of "merely a road block" previously and I know you can keep that going. Because that is what you have to do. Quite honestly, if you are having suicidal thoughts, that is 100% top priority. No question. There is no "but I'd feel better if .. " because losing weight is not going to fix any emotional problems you have. It's like having money .. it's nice and makes life easier sure, but it can't make you happy if you're not.

I know you had probably been considering the surgery and looking into it for a long time before you made the decision to go for it. But you only get to count the time since you actually started going through official channels. And many of us have had setback and had to wait longer than we thought before we actually got the surgery. I had a 6 month requirement and by the time I had surgery , I was 11 months in. not including the time I waited for the first appt. There are others here who waited even longer. You CAN do this. Take this as an opportunity to get yourself in the best shape, mentally and physically that you can to prepare for your best future.

This surgery is worth fighting for because YOU are worth fighting for.

Back