• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Psych eval

MANDY2910

Psych eval was a joke. I don’t even know why I was worried. She just said to keep in contact with my psychiatrist and my therapist. She was not bothered about my doctor not having my back. She feels I will do fine but has to score my online tests before she can make her “official recommendation”. She made sure I verified all of my follow up visits though. Glad that monkey is off my back and I can move forward. She doesn’t need to see me to follow up on anything at this point.

Psych eval was a joke. I don’t even know why I was worried. She just said to keep in contact with my psychiatrist and my therapist. She was not bothered about my doctor not having my back. She feels I will do fine but has to score my online tests before she can make her “official recommendation”. She made sure I verified all of my follow up visits though. Glad that monkey is off my back and I can move forward. She doesn’t need to see me to follow up on anything at this point.
Great job! I think it's one of those barriers they put up too so that people back out of getting the surgery....idk just a theory.

It's very common for overweight people to suffer from body dysmorphia. Anorexics see a fat pig in the mirror and stop eating. Obese people can't reckon the scale with their body image.

Sometimes people say they'll literally kill themselves if they can't lose weight. And sometimes people's expectations are soflawed, they think the day after surgery they'll be at normal weight.

There is so much tied into body image, the psych eval is necessary and protective. In the USA alone the percentage of obese people is so far out of wack, only a deep dive into the psyche can come close to revealing an eating disorder.

I felt that my psych evaluation was to check where my head was at. Finding out if I was being realistic. Knowing people who had the band and sleeve and regained all their weight again I was very Leary of WLS. But after learning more about bypass I felt more comfortable with the idea.
Seems that she was most concerned about any eating disorders and if I understood what WLS was and that it wasn’t a magic bullet that was going to take all the work away and I was just going to get skinny and be that way forever. She had a list of online support groups and this one was number one. I thought that was pretty cool :)

My insurance required 6 visits. Got through required visits, then found a lump in breast, so I decided to stay in touch with her through that. With her for about 8 months then she left practice. Trying to get a new counselor now. I have bipolar, so I usually need support when I have major life changes.

My insurance required 6 visits. Got through required visits, then found a lump in breast, so I decided to stay in touch with her through that. With her for about 8 months then she left practice. Trying to get a new counselor now. I have bipolar, so I usually need support when I have major life changes.
I have bipolar as well which is why I was no nervous about the evaluation. I had already had one hospital not even consider me. Wouldn’t even let me in for a consult. Anyway, I have a doctor I see regularly and a counselor as well so they said that would satisfy their requirements as long as I don’t miss any of my appointments between here and surgery time. My counselor has been a life saver for me. When you get a good one it makes all the difference. Praying you find another who can help you navigate this journey

Back