• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Psychological Evaluation

Devin

The psychologist office mailed me the MMPI-2 test a couple of weeks ago, I filled it out and mailed it back. I had the interview today. It was all super easy. I have a history of depression so I was a little concerned about it, but there was really no reason to be. He was so eager, I thought it was sort of funny. My family and I were visiting Dollywood last week, he called and asked if he could do it over the phone right then. I wasn't going to do it in the middle of an amusement park so I said it wasn't a good time and that I'd be out of town the rest of the week, he said well how about tomorrow or sometime this weekend? I said Monday would probably be best, so today it was! I'm not complaining, but based on some things that I've read on a few message boards I'm thinking that if everyone's psychology evaluation is that easy it should probably be a bit more in depth than it was, but then I'm no expert so who am I to say?

I think they mainly are checking your stability and how likely you are able to handle the big life changes ahead. I have a feeling they can tell a lot from your body language as well as how you respond to your in-person questions. I think the written test is more of a way to present a numerical result rather than using just the judgment from the psychologist.

I guess that’s a good thing, right? I had two meetings with the psychologist and they were pretty intense. I took the MMPI online, along with another test that was about emotions and how you were raised and eating habits. I was always worried that I wasn’t gonna get a PASS from the psychologist, so I was elated when he gave his approval. The psych eval was probably the hardest part of all the steps I went through.

I guess that’s a good thing, right? I had two meetings with the psychologist and they were pretty intense. I took the MMPI online, along with another test that was about emotions and how you were raised and eating habits. I was always worried that I wasn’t gonna get a PASS from the psychologist, so I was elated when he gave his approval. The psych eval was probably the hardest part of all the steps I went through.
Yes, a great thing for sure! I wasn't too worried about it. I've dealt with so many doctors in my life that they don't make me nervous anymore...BUT I've been watching that 1,000 pound sisters show and I keep thinking that those women seem to have some serious issues that probably need to be dealt with. I don't want to have any issues that I haven't dealt with myself that would cause me to not be successful. I wanted to pass because he truly believed that I'm good to go, not just because I can be fairly articulate. I think my depression is well managed now, but I'm sure many people have issues that they can't see in themselves. I was completely honest though, so I'm sure that he's trained to pick up on problems if there are any there.

I think my depression is well managed now, but I'm sure many people have issues that they can't see in themselves. I was completely honest though, so I'm sure that he's trained to pick up on problems if there are any there.
I also struggled with depression for many years. Therapy was a lifesaver and I finally stopped taking Prozac in November. Because of the high emotional factor and the hormone changes after surgery, I have scheduled a few therapy appointments the month after surgery just in case I have issues.

My psychiatrist is completely against WLS, regardless of how stable or unstable you are. This pisses me off because she doesn’t understand the mental toll being obese and having underlying health problems not related to mental health causes. My therapist is on my side though and the psychologist for the Weightloss Center is too. She said she will make her own conclusions and gets A LOT of psychiatrists around here who don’t back up their patients. That’s unfortunate, but at least I know I have people who will back me up. My psych eval is 6/3 and I feel confident that I will be able to move forward.

Yes, a great thing for sure! I wasn't too worried about it. I've dealt with so many doctors in my life that they don't make me nervous anymore...BUT I've been watching that 1,000 pound sisters show and I keep thinking that those women seem to have some serious issues that probably need to be dealt with. I don't want to have any issues that I haven't dealt with myself that would cause me to not be successful. I wanted to pass because he truly believed that I'm good to go, not just because I can be fairly articulate. I think my depression is well managed now, but I'm sure many people have issues that they can't see in themselves. I was completely honest though, so I'm sure that he's trained to pick up on problems if there are any there.
This! I found out during my psych evaluation that I had binge eating disorder which put everything on hold until I finished 3 months of weekly group therapy. It was embarrassing at first but now I'm so happy that I learned what to do and learned about a downfall I have. I'm hoping this knowledge keeps me out of too much trouble after the surgery now that I've been cleared to move forward.

This! I found out during my psych evaluation that I had binge eating disorder which put everything on hold until I finished 3 months of weekly group therapy. It was embarrassing at first but now I'm so happy that I learned what to do and learned about a downfall I have. I'm hoping this knowledge keeps me out of too much trouble after the surgery now that I've been cleared to move forward.

As they say, "knowledge is power!"

I love your attitude. Some people would be upset to have their plans put on hold. You are excited to get even more tools to help you succeed. And those tools really will help you long term, since so much of this process is mental. I've seen a lot of posts on here lately about mental support before and after and how so many programs are lacking in that area. This is a great thing for you.

I love your attitude. Some people would be upset to have their plans put on hold. You are excited to get even more tools to help you succeed. And those tools really will help you long term, since so much of this process is mental. I've seen a lot of posts on here lately about mental support before and after and how so many programs are lacking in that area. This is a great thing for you.
I almost wanted to cry I must be emotional hahaha but what you said was very sweet. Thank you!

I have mental health issues and I am having my 1st appointment with the psychologist the first week in June. I am very nervous. Does anyone have some helpful suggestions for me?
I think just being honest is the best policy. I have depression and some other stuff and found out through the evaluation that I have binge eating disorder - and both of those didn't even disqualify me. I think that really they are making sure that you understand what you are getting into and that you are competent enough to make the decision!

I have my psych eval 6/3. I have bipolar I so I understand your trepidation. There are countless people with mental health conditions who get WLS every day. Don’t let it dissuade you or scare you. Like Nymiria said: just be honest with them and tell them about your struggles, what your support system is, what help you are receiving (meds, therapy, physician following you), and what your plans are from that point through surgery and beyond. They may find some things they want you to work on, but they might not. If they do find something they will give you the tools you need to work through it and continue in the program. There job is to help you be successful, not get you disqualified. Any and all suggestions or requirements they may make are to help you be the best version of yourself and be the most successful you can be with your journey. Stay positive through all of it and don’t take anything they say as a setback or let it throw you off your path. Just keep moving forward, always forward, and you will get there.

I have mental health issues and I am having my 1st appointment with the psychologist the first week in June. I am very nervous. Does anyone have some helpful suggestions for me?
Saying just enough, but not too much. I know this might be counter intuitive, and while being honest is important, not divulging everything up front so they can get a sense of who you are is best.

Back