• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pureed foods

Dragonfly4u

Ok so I am coming up to the start of adding pureed foods to my diet and I am really getting grossed out. The thought of pureed meats has my gag reflex in overdrive. I am a texture kind of girl and I just can't stomach pureed meats. Can I still get enough protein without that in my diet. Can I wait to have meat until I am at the stage of adding regular foods back into my diet. Also Jello or any kind of jelled foods make me vomit they always have even prior to the surgery. I am happy to be adding in yogurt and applesauce, and I may be able to do the no sugar pudding...maybe even that has my gag reflex running. I am dyeing for green vegetables and fresh fruit. Its been 3 weeks of only liquids and I miss my salads and vegies so much. Anyone else have this issue? Can I just keep going with high protein smoothes/shakes and only add in the pureed foods I know I can handle?

You actually "puree" foods when you chew them and swallow. But obviously, you will have some problems because of your food preferences.

I'd really ask my bariatric team for advice because they've heard EVERY problem we can come up with and they have solutions. You can certainly just stick to the one or two things you know you can tolerate, just to get through that stage of eating. Then when you go on to solids, you can mash things up a bit on your plate and chew each bite about 20 times.

If you look in your pantry, you might see foods that will work right now. One that comes to mind is refried beans, which can have salsa and very melted cheese added in.

But ask a professional. I definitely feel ya. Textures of food can be really gross. What you're doing is converting something solid into something that it turns into in your stomach so you can digest it easily.

Best of luck.

I did not actually puree anything. I agree .. Gross! I just ate naturally pure fish foods. Scrambled eggs, refried beans, cottage cheese. I only had puree for 1 week, and only "ate" one meal for each stage anyway. For me, it was much easier to stick to shakes for breakfast and puddings or soups for lunch until I was well I to my full diet stage.

Ok so I am coming up to the start of adding pureed foods to my diet and I am really getting grossed out. The thought of pureed meats has my gag reflex in overdrive. I am a texture kind of girl and I just can't stomach pureed meats. Can I still get enough protein without that in my diet. Can I wait to have meat until I am at the stage of adding regular foods back into my diet. Also Jello or any kind of jelled foods make me vomit they always have even prior to the surgery. I am happy to be adding in yogurt and applesauce, and I may be able to do the no sugar pudding...maybe even that has my gag reflex running. I am dyeing for green vegetables and fresh fruit. Its been 3 weeks of only liquids and I miss my salads and vegies so much. Anyone else have this issue? Can I just keep going with high protein smoothes/shakes and only add in the pureed foods I know I can handle?
i pureed chicken all the time and added sugar free barbeque sauce to it for flavor. It tastes exactly like bbq chicken, but if you cant get through the texture issue it probably wont work for you. The bbq sauce did help me

I have posted the recipe for Magic Milk, which I got from my nutritionist. It's a quart of milk with a packet of Milkman dry milk, mixed together. No extra water. The protein is doubled, and I was instructed to cook cream soups and cereals right in the milk, with no additional water there, either.

So for Thanksgiving my first year, I made instant mashed potatoes in Magic Milk, just a tablespoon or two. Then I added finely chopped turkey, some powdered gravy mix, and cranberry sauce, all in layers in a cup. It was DEElicious! And because of the way I chopped it and mixed it so finely, it was really like a puree, even though I could have just mixed it up as a semi-solid meal if I chose.

I'm sorry you hate pureed stuff because that really limits you. But again, your nutritionist may compromise with you so you can get through that phase really fast and go to soft solid food like tender meats, mashed potatoes and chopped veggies.

You actually "puree" foods when you chew them and swallow. But obviously, you will have some problems because of your food preferences.

I'd really ask my bariatric team for advice because they've heard EVERY problem we can come up with and they have solutions. You can certainly just stick to the one or two things you know you can tolerate, just to get through that stage of eating. Then when you go on to solids, you can mash things up a bit on your plate and chew each bite about 20 times.

If you look in your pantry, you might see foods that will work right now. One that comes to mind is refried beans, which can have salsa and very melted cheese added in.

But ask a professional. I definitely feel ya. Textures of food can be really gross. What you're doing is converting something solid into something that it turns into in your stomach so you can digest it easily.

Best of luck.

I have a doctor's appointment next Wed and will ask. I don't have a team for my surgery or anything like that. I did have to have a nutritionist, but she really wasn't much help. The mashed beans sounds great I will have to try that.

I did not actually puree anything. I agree .. Gross! I just ate naturally pure fish foods. Scrambled eggs, refried beans, cottage cheese. I only had puree for 1 week, and only "ate" one meal for each stage anyway. For me, it was much easier to stick to shakes for breakfast and puddings or soups for lunch until I was well I to my full diet stage.

Yes I can get onboard with eggs, beans and cottage cheese as well as soup and protein shakes. So as long as I am not harming myself then I will skip the pureed meats...UGH ;) I so miss my baby spinach and cucumbers.

I have posted the recipe for Magic Milk, which I got from my nutritionist. It's a quart of milk with a packet of Milkman dry milk, mixed together. No extra water. The protein is doubled, and I was instructed to cook cream soups and cereals right in the milk, with no additional water there, either.

So for Thanksgiving my first year, I made instant mashed potatoes in Magic Milk, just a tablespoon or two. Then I added finely chopped turkey, some powdered gravy mix, and cranberry sauce, all in layers in a cup. It was DEElicious! And because of the way I chopped it and mixed it so finely, it was really like a puree, even though I could have just mixed it up as a semi-solid meal if I chose.

I'm sorry you hate pureed stuff because that really limits you. But again, your nutritionist may compromise with you so you can get through that phase really fast and go to soft solid food like tender meats, mashed potatoes and chopped veggies.

Diane,
Thanksgiving food is my kryptonite. Ever since I was little, I couldn't stand Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing or cranberry sauce. I loved the salad or veggies and the rolls hated pumpkin pie to. Used to piss me off when I was younger but when I got old enough to cook for myself, around 13yrs old I would make my own thanksgiving meal (usually grilled Filet Migon with crab legs). My family was very traditional it was always turkey and sometimes Ham as well (another meat I refuse to eat) for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Now I still cook my main entrees for holidays with the family and I just eat all the yummy vegies. I just need to find some cool recipes. specifically for the protein shakes. I really miss having my green vegies I am hoping I will be able to have all of those again in a few months because I like them raw.

I am going to try the magic milk when I make in my butternut squash soup recipe instead of heavy cream.

Yes I am going to do the same. I can really go for the eggs, beans and cottage and stick to the shakes for breakfast. I can work in the Magic Milk into some soup for added protein. I can hardly wait for solid foods so I can have my raw green vegies again.:)

Just a heads up: It might take a while to be able to digest raw veggies. I love a salad nkw. But it took a few months, especially for cruciferous veg. May I suggest roasting them for a while, if you have issues? You may not. But if you do, roasted veggies are the BOMB!

Just a heads up: It might take a while to be able to digest raw veggies. I love a salad nkw. But it took a few months, especially for cruciferous veg. May I suggest roasting them for a while, if you have issues? You may not. But if you do, roasted veggies are the BOMB!

Missy,

Yeah I love roasted veggies to and will do that for now. I just really miss my raw green vegies and salads. Before surgery I would snack on cucumbers and baby spinach all the time and I haven't had any since the 2 week pre op liquid diet and my body is screaming for veggies. But I am going to roast some sweet potatoes, butternut squash and zucchini and mash those up. I was told that I will probably never be able to have salsa again is that true for you?

I have heard "never again" a lot and then at a certain stage, my dietician was like now you can add ... back in, and I was like wait what? I would just ask and clarify any confusing messaging. I have had no issues with salsa since I got on pureed. I agree with Missy's recomendations. I also used a chef's knife and hand minced grilled chicken, finely ground white meat, pork tenderloin, tuna, and made into a soft salad using cottage cheese, plain skyr or greek yogurt, lo cal salad dressings/sauces, and seasonings. I would make a cereal bowl full, and then portion out 2-3 Tbsp at a time for a meal. They told me the key was a consistency of cottage cheese. Also eat very slowly, small bites chewed for awhile, pause and take another small bite. Like a tsp at a time. If you eat too fast it can cause nausea. I did have to hold liquids 30 mins. before and after meals during this phase to be sure the pouch was empty I suppose. My Phase 2, puree phase was only 2 weeks long. But I basically eat the same now bc i cannot take the volume of food nec to add the veg and fruit back in. Yet it is good to know I can if i want to.

I have heard "never again" a lot and then at a certain stage, my dietician was like now you can add ... back in, and I was like wait what? I would just ask and clarify any confusing messaging. I have had no issues with salsa since I got on pureed. I agree with Missy's recomendations. I also used a chef's knife and hand minced grilled chicken, finely ground white meat, pork tenderloin, tuna, and made into a soft salad using cottage cheese, plain skyr or greek yogurt, lo cal salad dressings/sauces, and seasonings. I would make a cereal bowl full, and then portion out 2-3 Tbsp at a time for a meal. They told me the key was a consistency of cottage cheese. Also eat very slowly, small bites chewed for awhile, pause and take another small bite. Like a tsp at a time. If you eat too fast it can cause nausea. I did have to hold liquids 30 mins. before and after meals during this phase to be sure the pouch was empty I suppose. My Phase 2, puree phase was only 2 weeks long. But I basically eat the same now bc i cannot take the volume of food nec to add the veg and fruit back in. Yet it is good to know I can if i want to.

Finally,

Good to know never really isn't reality. It's not that I don't like meat it is the consistency of pureed food. I'm a texture girl and even before surgery my gag reflex would not allow me to eat foods so mashed up, (just for example I can't stand mashed potatoes) they were like baby food. I'm getting through this stage by keeping with the few items I can stomach and keeping my protein up with shakes/smoothies and added protein into soups. I love yogurt and applesauce and others have advised refried beans, eggs and cottage cheese. I'm hoping that when I get to the regular food stage with making sure all food is in small pieces and chewing it properly, I will be ok. I think as long as I keep my protein up and my water intake correct, I should be able to get through without too much trouble.

I eat salsa literally All The Time. I can do spicy. There are very few things I cannot eat now and most I shouldn't be eating anyway. Hot Fudge for example lol

If you eat slowly and listen to your body, you'll figure it out. Its just those first few months that are really rough.

I eat salsa literally All The Time. I can do spicy. There are very few things I cannot eat now and most I shouldn't be eating anyway. Hot Fudge for example lol

If you eat slowly and listen to your body, you'll figure it out. Its just those first few months that are really rough.
i also seat salsa and have no issues with spicy foods either. Chicken for me is probably the hardest thing i have to go down. For some reason it really bothers me unless i eat it super slow and chew it thoroughly.

Missy,

So good to hear that some people have no issues with the foods they loved before. Raw green vegies, salsa, avacado and Sushi/Sashmi are just a few things I was hoping not to have to give up forever. However, for my health I was willing to.

I started my journey because I was close to 400 pounds. I lost on my own 82 pounds prior to surgery but my Cardiologist said it was not enough fast enough he really pushed for me to have surgery. I had a hard time and it took almost 2 years to get to surgery. I didn't have a weight loss center or Bariatric center, I had to get my nutritionist and psychiatrist on my own. In the middle of all that I got laid off from my job of 20 years and the insurance I had kept sending me to psychiatrists who didn't believe in weight loss surgeries and refused to do my evaluation. On my 3rd try I finally found a psychiatrist who listened and would do my evaluation. During all that time my insurance only allowed me 6 visits with the nutritionist, but she was great and gave me so much help knowing I couldn't afford to pay out of pocket for her services. So I set out learning about the healthier foods and slowly replacing most of the really bad ones and portion control. (I just couldn't give up cheese, love me my cheese:)) however I learned real portion control with that item. I have not had any fast food since Dec 2021 and don't really miss it. I was never big on anything fried so I'm good there. My worst habit was eating no breakfast or lunch and going home to eat a big dinner and desert and lazing about before bed. I no longer do that; I don't eat anything after 7pm because I must be up and do some form of exercise before bed and give my body at least 4 hours to digest food.

I got so much information before this surgery, and I am beginning to believe most of it was not really correct. You can certainly go down the rabbit hole on the internet. Some sites had some truth with the rest being pseudo mad science bunk. I have more cleared up since reading all the posts here than in the last few days then in my yearlong research.

I'm only 10 days out from surgery but I feel so much better after finding this form. I know I can't expect medical expertise from this site but having others who have gone before and lived through the process and are on the other side makes me feel like I'm not alone. My family (except my son) thinks I should have never done the surgery, they believe I took the easy way out.

Like I mentioned my surgeon starts the pureed portion of my post diet 10-15 days out so I am coming up to that and I am going to get through it with a lot of help from you and other who have given me some great ideas that I can use instead of doing the pureed meat.

Thanks again for all the help.

Glad to hear that we helped. I'm amazed by the number of people who are against weight loss surgery. And I'm sorry you didn't have a bariatric program. The FIRST thing my program did was point out that it's not lack of willpower or laziness that keeps you heavy. That the processed foods that we eat are created to keep us hungry. In time, they shut down our hunger hormones, so we never feel full. It is NOT the easy way out!!

Its not even all that easy!! This is hard work. Every year I learn that its still hard work lol And that's fine. For me, its worth it. If you already love fresh vegetables and lean proteins, you're headed for long term success. I had to learn to love vegetables, since I was raised on canned corn, peas, and green beans. Period. And now, I'm going to the local farm and picking my own fruits and veggies. I freeze some of it. I am considering canning my own tomatoes. I had no idea this was something I would EVER be considering. I used to buy almost everything in a jar or pre-made.

In my opinion, eating real, whole foods is the real key. I am not as limited as some by the amount I can eat, so I have to make good choices. Some people can only eat a few bites at a time. You'll have to wait and see which side you end up on. But its never a bad idea to have a plan. Good luck.

I am in the pree stage now. I love refried beans with a tad bit of hot sauce and tad bit of shredded cheese. It made about 4 1/2 containers for prepping. I have not had a problem with this. I am only able to eat like 2 tbsp but man it's good.
Another thing I have not been hungry at all since surgery so 2 tbsp is plenty filling.
I also made the ricotta bake which is really good as well.

I am in Phase 3 but still tolerate Phase 2 (pureed list) the best. I have tried regular meat meals and both beef and shrimp has not stayed down. I did stop eating when I had only eaten about 1 oz the second time and it took 30 min or so but eventually lost the shrimp. I have no issues with the same variety I had been eating. I think foods we can tolerate must be pretty individualized. I'm trying to focus on not over-buying variety, keeping it simple, and changing it up with the next trip to the store. I don't want to waste food or get overwhelmed with planning.

Finally, I like your plan. I only tried one new food at a time. If it didn't agree with me, I'd try it again the following month. And I always tell those who are in those early phases, if you can slow cook your meat!! It breaks it down so its easier to digest. Add a little sauce or gravy. (Gravy can be surprisingly low cal!) I used to put chicken in snack size battles and freeze them.

Back