• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Question about supplement absorption

Mandym80

I found out that I have osteoporosis due to my taking calcium supplement for 25 yrs and realizing the calcium wasn’t being absorbed right and now I have a calcium nasel spray that I take instead of the tablets. My question is what can I do about these other supplements that I’ve been taken for the last 25 yrs. they are not going through my system right ei?

Mandy, so sorry this happened to you. Can you explain more what you were doing wrong?

The only rule I follow is you can't take two minerals at the same time. I take my Rx and supplements in four measured doses, breakfast, lunch, dinner, bedtime. My blood panels are always very good.

I take a lot of supplements and have for years. I'm 70yo but most people think I'm much younger. Having RYGB really gave me an edge and made me a believer in avoiding illness and chronic disease.

Attachments

• 20210124_120216.jpg
    20210124_120216.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210612_204624_199.jpg
    IMG_20210612_204624_199.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20200611-114511.jpg
    Screenshot_20200611-114511.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 36
Mandy, so sorry this happened to you. Can you explain more what you were doing wrong?

The only rule I follow is you can't take two minerals at the same time. I take my Rx and supplements in four measured doses, breakfast, lunch, dinner, bedtime. My blood panels are always very good.

I take a lot of supplements and have for years. I'm 70yo but most people think I'm much younger. Having RYGB really gave me an edge and made me a believer in avoiding illness and chronic disease.

I found out that I have osteoporosis due to my taking calcium supplement for 25 yrs and realizing the calcium wasn’t being absorbed right and now I have a calcium nasel spray that I take instead of the tablets. My question is what can I do about these other supplements that I’ve been taken for the last 25 yrs. they are not going through my system right ei?
I wanted to follow up on my post yesterday. I’m kind of frustrated. I see how vigilant I was taking certain supplements that you could take long-term and researching them. And learning just recently that the calcium tablets going through my system faster than they should be because of the gastric bypass has probably contributed to early osteoporosis. So now my thought is what about these other supplements in the same tablet form. What is your advice on how these supplements are going through my system and probably not working either? My doctor has ordered a calcium nasal spray instead of calcium tablets. I was wondering is there nasal spray‘s for some of these other supplements like glucosamine or krill or B12 turmeric probiotic magnesium IRon,? I don’t take all these tablets at one time I take a certain amount in the morning a certain amount in the afternoon and a certain amount in the evening so they’re not all taken at one time but I’m wondering is this all a waste of time or is there some advice on if these have actually been any advantage being on his program that I was

I haven't had my 6+ month blood work done yet, so I don't know what my vitamin etc levels are. Having said that, I take 2 Kroger's calcium citrate + D3 (630mg + vit d 500 i.u.) morning & evening; Kroger's adult Centrum-type multivitamin and my iron + Vit C midday (at least 4 hours apart from the calcium/D3) to avoid the calcium interfering with the iron absorption. The Vit C helps with iron absoption. I take D2 weekly, and B12 daily. I do worry about osteoporosis - my mom had it.

I guess I'll find out from my upcoming bloodwork how I'm doing. I hope you and your bariatric team can figure out a vitamin & mineral schedule that works better for you.

I wanted to follow up on my post yesterday. I’m kind of frustrated. I see how vigilant I was taking certain supplements that you could take long-term and researching them. And learning just recently that the calcium tablets going through my system faster than they should be because of the gastric bypass has probably contributed to early osteoporosis. So now my thought is what about these other supplements in the same tablet form. What is your advice on how these supplements are going through my system and probably not working either? My doctor has ordered a calcium nasal spray instead of calcium tablets. I was wondering is there nasal spray‘s for some of these other supplements like glucosamine or krill or B12 turmeric probiotic magnesium IRon,? I don’t take all these tablets at one time I take a certain amount in the morning a certain amount in the afternoon and a certain amount in the evening so they’re not all taken at one time but I’m wondering is this all a waste of time or is there some advice on if these have actually been any advantage being on his program that I was
Ok got it figured out (my vitamin intake). I have researched all my supplements into liquid or fast absorption.

Back