• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Question April 20th, 2022

LTMR

Sometimes people say that they have eaten too much (after surgery and beyond), doesn't your stomach hurt or do you not feel full? Is it that you crave the food? Just asking because the doctors told me to stop eating once you feel full and if you eat wrong you will dump or purge. So confusing. Thanks.

It's the same reason we overate pre-surgery. The food tastes good and we want it. None of us were overweight because we had larger stomachs than the rest of the world. We all start with the same size stomach and hormones etc. WE did something to mess them up. Surgery fixes a lot but it does not fix your mind.

It's the same reason we overate pre-surgery. The food tastes good and we want it. None of us were overweight because we had larger stomachs than the rest of the world. We all start with the same size stomach and hormones etc. WE did something to mess them up. Surgery fixes a lot but it does not fix your mind.
Well, they cut your stomach to make it the size of an egg, and I was told that you can stretch your stomach to accommodate more food I guess over a period of time. If I am going through all this, i need to get it right. Lol I read so much the other night I had a dream about stomachs!!! LOL thanks

I had a really difficult time "feeling full" at first, following gastric bypass. For the 1st two months I didn't feel hungry or full, so I had to rely on measuring the amount I was eating carefully. I also struggled with head hunger after those honeymoon weeks. I'm finally getting back on track almost 9 months post-surgery. But I have lost 60 lbs, so I can't complain too much.

Well, they cut your stomach to make it the size of an egg, and I was told that you can stretch your stomach to accommodate more food I guess over a period of time. If I am going through all this, i need to get it right. Lol I read so much the other night I had a dream about stomachs!!! LOL thanks

They tell you that this surgery is a tool. And I'll be honest, I thought okay ..except they cut out 90% of your stomach so that seems more like a cure than a tool. And then I had the surgery. And found out that it actually is all about your choices.

The best thing about the surgery is it gives you a chance to reset your habits without your body and hormones screaming "I'M STARVING!!" at you 24/7. However, you can still choose to eat too much. You can choose to eat the wrong foods. Some foods are easier to digest than others and you can eat a lot more of them. I was stunned to find out I can eat most of a large movie popcorn. But I can only eat a 2oz burger. I don't think my stomach has stretched so much as different foods affect me differently.

Some people choose to eat the foods that they can eat more of than the foods that are best for them. And sometimes, you just accidentally eat a movie popcorn because mindless, habitual eating kicks in. We are not perfect people and make mistakes. The key is to do the right things for yourself the majority of the time.

It's very easy to graze all day and still have a high calorie intake. That is what I have to watch out for. I know I would gain weight if I didn't watch my eating (and other) habits.
I am 9 years post op and maintaining a 90+ weight loss. I never once regretted it.
I aree with the suggestions above.
There are many things I could never eat enough of without severe stomach pain -- pasta, starches, bread, etc.

What works for me is portion size. I portion all my food into containers or baggies. I eat 6 small meals a day. I don’t graze all day - but I do the 6 small meals daily.

I don’t really crave foods. I buy a huge variety of foods to eat. There is always fresh fruit, fresh produce, organic meats to eat. I can literally live off of oikos 15g protein yogurt with fresh blackberries, orange slices, strawberries with granola in it. That gives me protein and a touch of sweet with the fruit.

Maybe it would help to portion out what you’re eating. Another thing that really works for me is I only eat at the kitchen table. I don’t grab food and sit in front of the TV. That was a huge bad habit that I’ve actually broken. Even if I’m just eating grapes - I grab the container from the fridge and sit at the kitchen table. I’ve noticed that my kids are more likely to eat at the table than take stuff to play video games or watch TV. My youngest will holler and tell me - “when you get your snack let me know and I’ll come eat with you.”

WLS is a great way to jump start your weight loss journey. But it’s just a T O O L - not a cure. If you don’t use the tool you can fall back into the same eating habits and routine that you had before. You got this! Enjoy this amazing new life you’ve been gifted!!

Back