• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Question for the ladies

3momchaos

Hello ladies, or curious gentlemen. I just realized that I’ll be on my cycle on my surgery date. Do you think that will be an issue? I’m on the progesterone mini pill even though I had my tubes tied. It helps control my endometriosis and migraines. But, it’s not like I can do a continuous pill cycle for a couple months because it’s the same dose daily. I’m just worried that it’s going to cause my surgery to be postponed.

They oked you to continue the pill? My team stated birth control needed to be stopped a month prior.

As for cycle and surgery, sounds like a question for the nurse particularly if your cycles ever cause any issues for you.
They did not ask me to stop since progesterone pills do not increase the risk of blood clots like estrogen or progesterone injections. I’m also taking a daily blood thinner shot for one month after surgery because I have MTHFR. Since starting progesterone I’ve had a major decrease in menstruation issues, plus my period is very light now. Hoping it won’t be a issue. I will talk to the nurse Tuesday or Wednesday this week to get a definitive answer.

Last edited:
Hello ladies, or curious gentlemen. I just realized that I’ll be on my cycle on my surgery date. Do you think that will be an issue? I’m on the progesterone mini pill even though I had my tubes tied. It helps control my endometriosis and migraines. But, it’s not like I can do a continuous pill cycle for a couple months because it’s the same dose daily. I’m just worried that it’s going to cause my surgery to be postponed.
Hey there,

I wasn't on my cycle for my gastric bypass but was for my gallbladder removal and it wasn't an issue. I just couldn't have a tampon in during surgery so they provided me with these padded underwear to wear (likely an adult diaper) during surgery and until I was up for using the bathroom post-op. So I wouldn't think it would be an issue at all.

Hey there,

I wasn't on my cycle for my gastric bypass but was for my gallbladder removal and it wasn't an issue. I just couldn't have a tampon in during surgery so they provided me with these padded underwear to wear (likely an adult diaper) during surgery and until I was up for using the bathroom post-op. So I wouldn't think it would be an issue at all.
Sounds very glamorous LOL

They did not ask me to stop since progesterone pills do not increase the risk of blood clots like estrogen or progesterone injections. I’m also taking a daily blood thinner shot for one month after surgery because I have MTHFR. Since starting progesterone I’ve had a major decrease in menstruation issues, plus my period is very light now. Hoping it won’t be a issue. I will talk to the nurse Tuesday or Wednesday this week to get a definitive answer.
Hopefully you get lucky. Since about 2 months before surgery my cycle has been off. Was due around the time of surgery, showed 2 weeks later and lasted almost two weeks. I have the arm implant and don't really get a cycle at all other then spotting each month if it does show up.

I was on my cycle for surgery, which is TRULY BS since I hadn't had it in 8 months and was hoping to be done lol. Brenda is correct. No tampons. Giant adult diaper size pads with mesh underwear. Which they make you wear after surgery too. Because, no tampons in hospital. SO. If you are a tampon user, go buy reasonable size pads and take your own underwear. Honestly, I had tampons with me and used them after the first 24 hours because surgery is uncomfortable enough!!

If my period in October is anything like the one this month, I’m not too worried. It’s been very light so far with no cramps or migraines. I usually have a hormonal migraine the day before my period starts and I’ve had nothing this month.

If my period in October is anything like the one this month, I’m not too worried. It’s been very light so far with no cramps or migraines. I usually have a hormonal migraine the day before my period starts and I’ve had nothing this month.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you won't even get it. It was indeed quite the sexy padded diaper, hahahaha! Fortunately my gallbladder was an outpatient surgery so as soon as got home that evening, I could get back to my tampons!

Back