• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Question?? No pasta??????

That's just one doctor's opinion. I don't really know why he would say that. That's a statement that should come from your nutritionist, not your surgeon.

And yes, you can eat pasta again. I eat it frequently and I don't think life would be worth living without it. Just don't be a pig about pasta. Enjoy it in small amounts and make sure you chew it thoroughly.

I do have a problem with spaghetti pasta because it sticks in my throat is Stacks up and backs up until I can literally stick my finger down my throat and feel it but I can't vomit it up.

A doctor might think that you shouldn't have pasta or might tell you that out of fear that you would go back to your bad eating habits. I mean come on, if you're obese and you're sitting in his office planning for surgery, I think it's pretty likely that a doctor would say you can't eat pasta or bread or rice or Pizza. You can eat all of these things in time. But you need to be very careful at first and go through all your eating phases.

Don't add solid food like that into your diet until you have finished losing the weight you need to lose. Bariatric surgery is not designed to be punitive. It's designed to give you a second chance. You use it as a tool, but you're really fighting with your eating disorder all along.

Some stomachs don't tolerate regular pasta too well after surgery, but some people tolerate it just fine. The issue with regular pasta is the simple carbs and the spike in insulin that it can cause, which can trigger fat storage and also can lead to hunger. Regular pasta is metabolised pretty quickly, so it generally doesn't move down undigested enough into the small intestine to send those good satiety signals to your brain. So, we tend to get hungry more quickly. It's a bit of a slippery slope, but if you can tolerate it and eat it in moderation without it being a triggering food, then it shouldn't be a problem.

If you want something that tastes very, very close to regular pasta, and way better than whole wheat pasta, try Chickpea pasta or Green Lentil pasta, both have much more protein, higher fiber and significantly fewer net carbs than regular pasta with out a sacrifice in taste, in my opinion. Banza chickpea pasta is a good brand.

If you want to take it further than that, black bean pasta or edamame pasta have even more protein and fewer carbs and they are very, very filling. They have a different taste from pasta, but with a good marinara or something and a little parmesan, it's pretty good.

Last edited:
I can tolerate some pasta... I am of the mindset that moderation is key. Formerly, when eating pasta, the noodles would have been the bulk of my plate. Now, they are more a side, and when possible, I choose pasta that is protein rich (I love meat filled ravioli for example). Also, be sure it is well cooked - part of the issue is that when it is not cooked enough, it continues to expand in your stomach and can cause issues that way.

Was told by doctor that pasta is a no no ever again. Anyone else told this?? Any reason??

Hi MS

We're having spaghetti and meatballs for dinner tonight! My family LOVES pasta. So they'll eat the regular noodles - I make zoodles - zucchini noodles for me. I'm 8 months out and I don't do well with regular pasta. You can buy pasta made from veggies from Walmart - they have some made from spinach, zucchini, and super greens.

I also don't do well with bread. So I use the 110 calorie thin bagels if I want bread or sandwich. I don't eat many sandwiches. If we're having burgers I'll use the thin bagel. My body can process that.

I tried pizza from PizzaHut not too long ago. Stuffed crust - not a good thing. Didn't eat half of a piece before it was all coming back up. So I'm working on making the cauliflower pizza crusts to see if I can eat that!

My doc did not put any food on a forbidden list. Obviously, he strongly cautioned against any carbonated beverages, alcohol, fast food & sugary treats.

Pasta is a legendary fuel for world class athletes. Carbs are not the enemy, else apples & spinach would be bad, too. To arbitrarily take off the menu is rash; to smartly limit intake is wise. I eat pasta at least twice weekly, sometimes more.

Nothing is forbidden after you have reached your goal and very few things are cautioned against or forbidden while you're going there. The only thing you really have to fight against is your eating disorder. Pasta is villainized when in fact it is a staple and can easily be digested if you cook it right. I think a world without pasta would be like a world without sunshine. I eat it whenever I want to and I don't overeat, any more than I would over eat anything else that has carbs in it. Carbs are a famous runner's staple that is often devoured in mass quantities the night before a race.

It's important to remember that you are not having the surgery to ruin your life by forbidding you the food's everyone else can eat, but to limit the quantity you can eat and learn how to eat more sanely. Everything in one's diet after weight loss surgery has to be seen in a new light.

I am 13 years post op and I eat anything I feel like eating. I always opt to eat the way I learned after having the surgery and I have maintained my weight all these years. But if you are early in your journey, pay attention to your urges and your obsessions because they will be with you until you overcome your eating disorder.

Weight loss surgery is the tool you are given to allow you a second chance at life. You can use it along with your new resolve to eat like a normal person instead of eating to cover shame or pain or just make yourself look very unattractive so you can be protected from something like rape or other sort of abuse you fear. Have a normal life, and that means don't make a pig of yourself.

In that context, pasta suddenly becomes a very tiny consideration.

Thanks for all your replies. Thought something was odd. It was the nutritionist that said that. Not had any problems except being hungry. Going into the soft stage. Good luck everyone.

Back