• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Question??????????

What is the best time to weight ourselves and how often should we do that?
Thank you.
Carolina

Hi Carolina!!!

I was told by my nutritionist to weigh myself once a week in the morning.

Now, do I follow this advice? I can't do it. I am obsessed with my scale and weigh myself every time I walk into my bathroom minimum probably about 10 times a day. Not a good idea. I will tell you that you do weigh less first thing in the morning, after you potty but before you eat breakfast. Lol

Yes, I weight myself in the morning as soon as I get up. I am not hung up over what is happening as much as it is simply part of my morning routine now.

For example, I plot my weight on a chart on caloriescount.com.

So, I can see how I lose weight. I tend to have a plateau that can be as long as 7 days and then I drop more weight. Initially, the weight was simply coming off. Now, it comes off then plateau then off then plateau.

Don't get crazy about plateaus. The body needs time to adjust. Lots of time it is water retention.

Ralph

Well i can tell you that I too was obsessed for months. Pick a standard time, scale, etc. to weigh. To gain a real perspective on how much we lose, and how well we lose it, once a week is a good picture. Example, monday morning, after your constitutional and before you eat. I used to do it prior to my shower, naked on Thursday mornings. We will gain and lose with fluid over the course of the day, and the month, even guys have monthly fluid fluctuations related to hormones. My dad can gain about 10 pounds once a month. He does weight watchers and every once in awhile he has a huge gain, which is usually gone the next week. All of this said to let you know, don't just use the scale. Measure yourself too. Often when you hit a platue, your body shape will be changing but the scale will not move. So use multiple scales to check yourself. The actual scale, the tape measure, and even those clothes in the closet that you either couldn't wear, or that are now falling off of you. All these things are measures of your succes. Don't just focus on a number on the scale.

I weigh myself twice a month, the first and the fifteenth, on 2 different scales and record it. The first scale is at home, in the morning with no shoes. The second scale is at the gym fully clothed and at night. The gym scale runs about 2 pounds heavier, but then I have my shoes on and it's the end of the day.
That way I can see substantial changes and don't get discouraged over stalls.

My nutritionist and doctor told me not to weigh myself. I was told to not buy a scale.
so how is it going not weighing yourself?

Only kidding.
I understand where your nutrionist is coming from.
Don't obsessed over weight. Rather enjoy your ne found life and all its benefits.
Lots of good advice here too.
As long as you are true to the program and yourself you will be fine. The weight will continue to come off the clothe sizes will be smaller the energy will increase the Medea will be reduced/ELIMINATED, etc.

To be hosent I also weigh myself whenever I wake up in the morning and again before bed, but I "tell myself" that only thursday mornings count. not a good habit but my day isn't ruined by what number I see on the scale.

Back