• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Questions about Preop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julianna

I will be having surgery on March 19, 2014. When did everyone start a liquid diet preop and what did it consist of? My doctor has not said anything about a liquid diet. I will meet with him one week before surgery, so does this start then? I am a little scared about surgery, but I have seen the results in other people and feel encouraged.

It depends I have seen a few people on here that didn't really have to do a preop diet, my surgeon has his patients start two weeks prior to surgery and some are longer then that.

I will be having surgery on March 19, 2014. When did everyone start a liquid diet preop and what did it consist of? My doctor has not said anything about a liquid diet. I will meet with him one week before surgery, so does this start then? I am a little scared about surgery, but I have seen the results in other people and feel encouraged.

Hi Julianna!!! WELCOME to the Forum!!!!

Every surgeon is different and require their patients to do different things. My surgeon puts his patients on a clear liquid diet for 3 days before surgery. It worked very well for me, I was on liquid on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and had Surgery on Monday.

The main thing is to follow your own surgeon's rules. Every surgeon has his own method and it's best to follow it to the exact letter. My surgeon also did not require me to strain my food. I went from clear liquids the first week and soft food like applesauce and cottage cheese with protein shakes the second week. Other surgeon's may keep you on liquids for a month after surgery. Just talk to your own surgeon, if you have questions now is the time to ask. Get your instructions in writing, and make copies of them. Put one in your purse, one in your bedroom and one in the kitchen.

Wishing you the Best of Luck on your weight loss journey. :)

Cheyenne

It is all surgeon dependent.. My surgeon requires a phase I and phase II pre-op diet to help de-fat the liver so as to reduce any possible or potential surgical related complications such as nicking the liver during surgery during surgery. He also has the II diets to assess a patients ability to follow the eating guidelines prior to surgery to determine the patients ability to follow up after surgery.
If you have issues with a food plan before you will have them afterwards.

Preop questions

Thank you everyone for your responses. It makes me feel better to know that it varies Thank you for a very warm welcome and will be here for answers during this process. Thanks a million.

Hi Julianna,

Welcome to the forum. You will get some great advice and info from this forum. There is a great bunch of people on here and they all have been through or going through this journey. My surgeon had me on a two week liver shrinking diet prior to surgery. Through my bariatric group I had to do a "paper" on the pros and cons of surgery, the type of surgery I was having, which I opted for the gastric sleeve bypass but since I had my gall bladder removed with an open procedure instead of through my belly button, and I also had a hysterectomy once again an open procedure. My surgeon said that it would be safer for me if I had the sleeve gastrectomy. Doing all of the research I learned so much about WLS. The different types, other alternatives to surgery. All in all it was a great experience for me. Good Luck to you on your journey. Come back often someone always has great info that they share.

TillieS

Thank you TillieS. I will be back very often and glad I have a group of nice people to help me through my journey. Thank you again.

Just to pile in on top of everyone else. Yes, each surgeon has his approach and quidelines for preop and post op.

So, yes follow your surgeon's program precisely. I have read all the variations but they are all there to help you get ready for the operation, start the weight loss ahead of time, shrink the liver and rid it of fat as much as possible (this makes the surgery easier for the Doct) and then post op is all about mending and not rushing things for the first month or more.

For me 2 weeks prior to operation, liquid diet, which consisted of Glucerna and Protein Shakes/Drinks not exceeding 1200 calories.

Week 1 post op was clear liquids such as water, crystal light, Isopure protein drink.

Week 2 was all of the above but now full liquids such as a vanilla premier protein shake.

Week 3 was puree food being introduced such as soups, eggs, etc.

Week 4 was finally soft foods such as hard boiled egg.

Your doctor should have given to you a whole loose leaf of information on all this. That is my only concern as I read your question. Go talk to him and your patient advocate in his office.

If need be I can show you some of the materials I received. However, each surgeon does it slightly different.

Ralph

Thank you Ralph. I did get a packet of information but not anything regarding pre-op menu or just liquids It was all about post-op. I don't want any complications during surgery so just wanted to see what everyone else had to do before surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back