• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Questions Before Deciding

AshleyTaylerr

Hi, My name is Ashley. I am 21 years old and 297lbs. I hate that I am that weight. I have struggled my whole life with health issues that have made it a challenge to lose weight. Most recently, I have had the worst lower back pain due to spinal stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease and 4 herneated discs. I know I am so young for Bariatrics but after seeing a spinal surgeon, she recommends it to me. I have done a lot of research on the types of surgeries and plan to make a consult with a surgeon here soon. But I have a few questions. I have read that your social life will change but they never say how. I believe I have a good support system if that it what they mean. And how mentally impacted do you get when getting the surgery and after surgery?

Your social life changes from the changes that you have with the surgery. I have not had my surgery yet but I understand it all. Now that I eat as if the surgery is already done I have noticed that I look differently at my friends choice of foods. I don't say nothing to what they eat but I try to be kind when I refuse any of it. You have to watch what you eat closer then normal people. The amount change and the taste changes.

As I ballooned up north of 250 pounds, I became isolated. Hardly any clothes fit me & I was too depressed to go shopping for new ones. I was invited to go to really exciting concerts & camping trips, but at the last minute, I'd fake illness & tell my friends I couldn't go out. I hated myself so much, I can barely stand to remember it.

Only a few of my friends knew I'd had the surgery. I didn't want to deal with the kind of questions other people would ask, as if they were interrogating me & shaming me at the same time. I deliberately kept it secret & to this day, most of my friends have no idea I had bariatric surgery. That's fine with me. It's nobody's business but mine.

I went from living in a cave of sadness to running up a sunlit mountain. I was so happy with what I had done to myself, FOR myself, that nothing bothered me. I bought spandex & wore it proudly! I was 56 years old & felt like I was in my 20s. That's the impact it made on my mental state. It seemed like people enjoyed having me around. I have a huge family (70 first cousins, 18 pairs of aunts/uncles) & boy, getting an avalanche of compliments from them on my new look was better than any gooey, greasy food I'd ever binged on.

Has your doctor indicated that your spinal ailments might improve if you lose some weight? I'll tell ya, you're young & have so many fabulous years ahead of you. Get healthier & happier, whether you're with friends or not. You'll never miss pizza as much as you'll love how you look in a little black dress.

Not to mention spandex...

Back