• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Questions for first appointment

lisa2022

Hi All,

My name's Lisa, I'm 37, and I live in Massachusetts. I'm very, very new in this surgery journey. My intake appointment with the surgeon is in four weeks.

I'm wondering, what are some questions you wish you had asked your doctor prior to starting this journey? Is there anything you know now that you wish you had known sooner? If you had to do this journey again, when you do anything differently?

Thanks so much!

I was 37 when I started my surgery process too! I had my surgery right after my 38th bday. I wish I would have known how the weight loss could change my periods. Learned that the hard way.
I would 200% do this again and earlier. One thing to keep in mind is realistic goals. I came into this process wanting more energy, less body aches, and to help solve some of my health issues (high BP, pre diabetes, high cholesterol, poor liver function), and most of that has been fulfilled. I do still have problems with energy and body pain, but I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia.
BUT, if I wouldn’t have have the surgery and lost all the weight I would have continued to have been told that I needed to lose weight and all my problems would be solved. Weighing less can certainly help some of my symptoms not be as severe, but even knowing what I know now, yes, I would do it all again. No regrets!

When I met with the surgeon on my first visit, I didn’t realize that I would not see him again until two weeks before surgery. I wish I had asked him more questions, like can my husband see me after surgery, what do you require for the pre-surgery diet, how long does it take to get a surgery date?

When I met with the surgeon on my first visit, I didn’t realize that I would not see him again until two weeks before surgery. I wish I had asked him more questions, like can my husband see me after surgery, what do you require for the pre-surgery diet, how long does it take to get a surgery date?
I learned all of this during my pre-op required classes. I believe the husband visiting and how long you have to wait will have a lot to go with COVID protocol at the time of your surgery. Unfortunately everything seems to revolve around that now. The only thing the surgeon talked about was the different types of surgery and the average outcomes of each one. The risks of each one and which would be best for me. We decided on bypass because of my severe GERD. Sleeve has a high risk of causing GERD or reflux issues whereas bypass tends to lesson or resolve it. GERD kills me some times, these last few weeks have been the worse it is has been in a long time so there was no way I am willing on taking a risk to make it worse. I am already on 2 prescription medications and still eat tums like candy on some days.

I learned all of this during my pre-op required classes. I believe the husband visiting and how long you have to wait will have a lot to go with COVID protocol at the time of your surgery. Unfortunately everything seems to revolve around that now. The only thing the surgeon talked about was the different types of surgery and the average outcomes of each one. The risks of each one and which would be best for me. We decided on bypass because of my severe GERD. Sleeve has a high risk of causing GERD or reflux issues whereas bypass tends to lesson or resolve it. GERD kills me some times, these last few weeks have been the worse it is has been in a long time so there was no way I am willing on taking a risk to make it worse. I am already on 2 prescription medications and still eat tums like candy on some days.
Isn't that coolest thing? Getting to have surgery that allows you to lose a life-changing amount of weight, possibly have hernia(s) repaired, AND get rid of GERD, all at the same time. WLS rocks! ❤❤

Isn't that coolest thing? Getting to have surgery that allows you to lose a life-changing amount of weight, possibly have hernia(s) repaired, AND get rid of GERD, all at the same time. WLS rocks! ❤❤
I have high hopes. Weird thing, when I had my upper GI scope they found a hiatal hernia and I specifically asked if it could be causing or worsening my GERD and the doctor blew it off and said no. Since then, everything I have read on every forum and every freaking medical page says it is a huge culprit of GERD. I assume when I have my apt. with my surgeon next week he will address it and tell me he is going to fix it while he is in here. I plan on bringing it up if he doesn't.

I assume when I have my apt. with my surgeon next week he will address it and tell me he is going to fix it while he is in here. I plan on bringing it up if he doesn't.
I also have severe GERD. I always suspected that I have a hiatal hernia. My surgeon said he will remove a HH if he sees it during surgery. Oddly, when they did the upper GI, there was NO hernia! I was eating healthy and fasted for 16 hours before the procedure, so maybe it went away. Hiatal hernias can come and go depending on what you eat. UGH.

Back