• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Questions for the surgeon pre-op

LaurieLee

I have my first consultation scheduled for next week. I was wondering if any of you know any specific questions to ask? Right now I have:

1. Is it a problem for my gall bladder scar to do laparoscopically? I had an open gall bladder removal in 1987 and I am worried that the scar tissue might be an issue.
  2. How long off work? Can I get disability for the time I am off work?
  3. How long in the hospital after the surgery?
  4. Pain meds after surgery (I am highly allergic to most narcotic pain meds so normally I just do things cold turkey such as my hysterectomy in 2004.) Also I get terrible migraines when I use Aspartame. I am hoping that they can not give me anything sugar-free in the hospital that contains Aspartame or it will be miserable.
  5. Insurance requirements? Length of time or what needs to be done to address insurance requirements?
  6. Travel after surgery as my surgeon is 6 hours from my home? I heard this surgeon will not let you fly post-op so I am either stuck with the train or car. I love the train so maybe this is an option but it will make a 6 hour travel time into probably 7 1/2 hours but I will be able to get up and walk around, if needed.

Is there anything else I am missing? I have looked through so many of the pre-surgery questions but I didn't really find anything specific to what to ask the surgeon on your first consult. By the way, I have looked through this forum so much and there is so much helpful information. I have already started taste-testing various protein shakes and made a list of various items to purchase. Luckily I love cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, and tuna so I am happy about that.

How long is he expecting you to be in the hospital? I would also suggest speaking to your job. Some employers require you to fill out FMLA paperwork. Many also carry disability insurance for you at no cost, so that is something you need to ask. Just as an example, mine did not pay for the first 2 weeks and then paid 60% of my salary.

How long is he expecting you to be in the hospital? I would also suggest speaking to your job. Some employers require you to fill out FMLA paperwork. Many also carry disability insurance for you at no cost, so that is something you need to ask. Just as an example, mine did not pay for the first 2 weeks and then paid 60% of my salary.

Thanks for the info missy. I will ask him how long I will be in the hospital. I plan on doing FMLA and state disability. They require that I use sick time for the first 7 days and then state disability kicks in on the 8th day. Disability will pay 80% and I can use sick time (like 8 hours a week) for any time after that I am off. I am going to ask the doctor for the most amount of time he can give me off work. I am hoping 4-6 weeks. I have worked at my company for 18 years and have never taken off for sick so I have like 1300 hours of sick time so they can do without me for a few weeks.

Back