• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Ready. Set. Grow!

3momchaos

This is one of my FAVORITE times of the year because we get our vegetable garden set up. This year we’re doing raised bed (not very high) with cinder blocks. We planned on using wood, but that’s crazy expensive right now. Plus, the good thing about cinder blocks is they won’t degrade, and I can plant herbs and marigolds in the holes. Here’s our set up, and we filled them with soil today. We’re going to put plastic and mulch down in the walkways to help with the weeds. We’ll start the planting in the next couple weeks.

Awesome. Here is my seeds started, just moved outside a couple days ago. Roma Tomato, cherry tomato,, cucumber, zucchini, spaghetti squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, basil, chives, rosemary, oregano, parsley.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210428-113544_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210428-113544_Gallery.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 113
Missy, you can start small. Get some big containers and grow some nice tomatoes. When it comes to tomatoes, NOTHING is better than homegrown! And you can make a salad garden in a window box container and plant leafy lettuce that will grow back as you harvest the leaves.

Those look great!!! You will get so many good things growing there!!

This (below) is what I've been working on the last couple weekends. Still a lot to do, but it's starting to take shape. It's a 2000 sq ft "fruit cage". I still have to get the gate I made up, cut off the top of the support posts and also bury some hardware cloth below ground to help keep digging animals out. Eventually, there will be new raised beds in the interior perimeter, as well as other new raised beds in the middle.

Next year, I'll add a "roof" that will have retractable sections and moving shade panels to both limit birds allow insects and control sunline in some areas of the cage. This year though, I'm just finishing up the perimeter fence, although I might start working on the top and interior later this year. We'll see.

Today I'm building new vertical tomato beds that are going in a different area and four other new raised beds that I'm making with galvanized roofing to cut down on wood.

That’s awesome Ryan! Very impressive!!
It would never have happened a year ago, I can guarantee that, or at least, it would have taken me the entire summer to get just that far. It's do great to be able to take on projects and not feel intimidated because I think I'll be tired, sore, sweating, and slow. It's so much more fun and doing the hard work is more rewarding now than daunting.

Those look great!!! You will get so many good things growing there!!

This (below) is what I've been working on the last couple weekends. Still a lot to do, but it's starting to take shape. It's a 2000 sq ft "fruit cage". I still have to get the gate I made up, cut off the top of the support posts and also bury some hardware cloth below ground to help keep digging animals out. Eventually, there will be new raised beds in the interior perimeter, as well as other new raised beds in the middle.

Next year, I'll add a "roof" that will have retractable sections and moving shade panels to both limit birds allow insects and control sunline in some areas of the cage. This year though, I'm just finishing up the perimeter fence, although I might start working on the top and interior later this year. We'll see.

Today I'm building new vertical tomato beds that are going in a different area and four other new raised beds that I'm making with galvanized roofing to cut down on wood.
View attachment 3704
Wow what a great gardening area!

This is one of my FAVORITE times of the year because we get our vegetable garden set up. This year we’re doing raised bed (not very high) with cinder blocks. We planned on using wood, but that’s crazy expensive right now. Plus, the good thing about cinder blocks is they won’t degrade, and I can plant herbs and marigolds in the holes. Here’s our set up, and we filled them with soil today. We’re going to put plastic and mulch down in the walkways to help with the weeds. We’ll start the planting in the next couple weeks. View attachment 3690
You definitely need to share pics as things grow! It's so much fun, and work, but mostly fun and tasty too! :)

These are the partial product of my yearly seed extravaganza. I love these Balsam, they flower along the stem as you can see and they bloom prolifically. The genetics are fascinating, first year I had two plants, two colors, the next year I had polka dot, paint splash, all kinds of mixes. These were mixed seeds and the colors are incredible. There are shades of lavender, electric orchid, deep rose, coral, all shades of pink and even white. Each flower makes a seed pod with 6 or so seeds in them. I found they will bloom once, then I need to take out the spent plants, by that time the seeds are re-growing so they give another bloom cycle in July or so. I had them when I was a kid so they are sentimental for me too. There are two beds full of plants and now it is reaching peak color.

These are the partial product of my yearly seed extravaganza. I love these Balsam, they flower along the stem as you can see and they bloom prolifically. The genetics are fascinating, first year I had two plants, two colors, the next year I had polka dot, paint splash, all kinds of mixes. These were mixed seeds and the colors are incredible. There are shades of lavender, electric orchid, deep rose, coral, all shades of pink and even white. Each flower makes a seed pod with 6 or so seeds in them. I found they will bloom once, then I need to take out the spent plants, by that time the seeds are re-growing so they give another bloom cycle in July or so. I had them when I was a kid so they are sentimental for me too. There are two beds full of plants and now it is reaching peak color.

What is that huge speckled leaf plant in your bottom pic? I have a thing for big floppy leaves

My garden is home to a number of flying pigs, two are visible above. I always think of the saying "when pigs fly" and I think bad things like "I will be thin when pigs fly".
Do you all have Mimosa trees or have you experienced them? I read they are "junk" trees and just because we all had them growing up does not make them better. I have one visible in the last picture. It was a volunteer from a seed brought by birds or the wind, I say it belongs in my yard because it came to me, I just nurtured it. It gets covered by pink flowers that smell amazing especially deep in the night or early morning. Hummingbirds seem to like the flowers, but I am WAITING for the hummingbirds to come this year.
Mimosas are a cool throwback to the 60's.

What is that huge speckled leaf plant in your bottom pic? I have a thing for big floppy leaves
Some kind of calla lily I got that bulb at Home Depot, it makes one complex flower a year and all those cool leave. I think it may have been a Martha Stewart bulb collection. My Doberman investigates anything and everything that is new, first time he passed a new flower last year, he grabbed it in his mouth and ripped it off the stem. This year the flower is farther back from my doggie prevention fencing.
I love yall's day lilies, mine are acting wimpy and I also planted 3 newbies that are wimpy too. Some of my large seedlings block their sun.

Back