• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Ready to go

Relax and enjoy the ride! No, seriously , relax and listen to your medical team. They've done this before and have a plan for you. There will be many, many (and I mean a lot) of exciting mileposts, and not just a few bad days ( some will be awful). Keep your eyes on the prize and you will do great. The people here are some of the best support you can have. I don't agree with everything said here (but not everything I say is gospel either!) but we have been through nearly everything you will be going through. Ask the questions and listen to the answers. Remember that you are starting on a courageous life long journey. Congratulations on your decision, and welcome to the Losers Club!

Relax and enjoy the ride! No, seriously , relax and listen to your medical team. They've done this before and have a plan for you. There will be many, many (and I mean a lot) of exciting mileposts, and not just a few bad days ( some will be awful). Keep your eyes on the prize and you will do great. The people here are some of the best support you can have. I don't agree with everything said here (but not everything I say is gospel either!) but we have been through nearly everything you will be going through. Ask the questions and listen to the answers. Remember that you are starting on a courageous life long journey. Congratulations on your decision, and welcome to the Losers Club!
Thank you so much. It is really helping with my anxiety to hear the advise and support.

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. My surgery is set for this Friday 7/24/20. I so excited and scared at the same time. Can anyone give me some last minute advice, tips or thoughts?
Don't be afraid to ask for a sedative. Your doctor can prescribed get better over a couple days several in advance of your surgery so you can remain calm. And when I had my surgery, they gave me a sedative before they gave me the anesthesia because I had an open procedure.

Life will be different and to certain extent no one can really advise you because each of us reacts to the surgery uniquely. But for sure you can believe that you are doing the right thing.

Don't be afraid to ask for a sedative. Your doctor can prescribed get better over a couple days several in advance of your surgery so you can remain calm. And when I had my surgery, they gave me a sedative before they gave me the anesthesia because I had an open procedure.

Life will be different and to certain extent no one can really advise you because each of us reacts to the surgery uniquely. But for sure you can believe that you are doing the right thing.
Thank you I will request that to relax

Damn it! Surgery didn't go according to plan. Dr. Cooper did my gallbladder first. It was incased in my liver, severely enlarged and diseased. Because of all this, he didn't want my body to go through him having a tough time getting it out then try to recover from gastric bypass. Sooooo, I have to heal from the gallbladder and they are rescheduling the bypass for 3 weeks. I feel so disappointed. I am home feeling like I have been punched in the stomach. I can't wait to have the bypass.

Damn it! Surgery didn't go according to plan. Dr. Cooper did my gallbladder first. It was incased in my liver, severely enlarged and diseased. Because of all this, he didn't want my body to go through him having a tough time getting it out then try to recover from gastric bypass. Sooooo, I have to heal from the gallbladder and they are rescheduling the bypass for 3 weeks. I feel so disappointed. I am home feeling like I have been punched in the stomach. I can't wait to have the bypass.

Hi Tami, I'm sorry to read of your surgery change. But, look at the bright side--I had my gallbladder out after a very painful couple of days before I knew why I was in a lot of stomach pain. I couldn't get up from the floor and was very sick with it. Your gallbladder sounds like it was very bad. You're lucky that you didn't have to go through that. I understand how disappointed you are, my surgery was cancelled twice due to Covid. My surgery is scheduled for three weeks from now on August 17. Maybe we'll be having our surgery the same week. Are you home or in the hospital? Good luck with your recuperation.

I'm sorry that it didn't go as planned Tami, but it sounds like the cautious approach was the right thing to do. Heal up and look forward to that new date! It will happen.
I know that it was the better approach. I have absolute confident in my surgeon's assessment. He preformed by bypass on my sister, brother-in-law, and niece. I am just disappointed and looking forward to 3 weeks flying by. At least I still have a week to recover lol.

Hi Tami, I'm sorry to read of your surgery change. But, look at the bright side--I had my gallbladder out after a very painful couple of days before I knew why I was in a lot of stomach pain. I couldn't get up from the floor and was very sick with it. Your gallbladder sounds like it was very bad. You're lucky that you didn't have to go through that. I understand how disappointed you are, my surgery was cancelled twice due to Covid. My surgery is scheduled for three weeks from now on August 17. Maybe we'll be having our surgery the same week. Are you home or in the hospital? Good luck with your recuperation.
oh my goodness. I'm sorry that you went throught that. My surgeon was very surprised that I didn't have it out sooner. Nobody would listen to me regarding my abdominal pain. A year ago, I required the heimlich manouver while eating. I had an endoscopy to find out why. I have been told for a year that my pain was from the heimlich. It does seem like we will be having our surgeries together. Thank you for chiming in. I really is great to get this support from others going through similar things.

Back