• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Recovery Time?

WWWindy

My daughter has pancreatic cancer that has spread to her liver so she is now in liver failure. I am caregiver. She lives with us. She is now on hospice with an undetermined amount of time left.

I have worked hard this past 7 months to be ready for my bariatric surgery. I've had 16 other surgeries including two lumbar, cervical, thyroid, and many more. My recovery time was always about 25% of what people normally spend. Every surgery had the nurses sending me home the next day because I kept walking the halls and wouldn't stay in be at night.

So, my question. did you all get back to normal life fairly quickly? Cooking, dusting, laundry, taking care of my daughter (husband can pretty much take care of himself). I don't mean lifting the rear-end of the truck but carrying a food tray to a bedroom. I'm not sure about the surgery timing now. I really want this surgery.

They will have you walking the same or next day, so on that side, it will be quick, but your body will need a LOT more rest than you are accustomed to with other surgeries (remember you are not getting calories in that you could before). You probably won't want to smell any food for a while (common to most of us immediately following surgery), which may be a bigger hinderance to cooking and taking food into her than ability. I would always use your doctor's recommendations for downtime expectations.

Lois, I am so sorry about your daughter. You mentioned her before and I just didn't realize that she was this close to the end. I hope everything works out for you but I know that this is a great big tangled knot that you cannot untie. If there is anything that I can do, you can message me privately, or certainly, message the whole group. We are here to give you our support and our love. It doesn't matter what the crisis is, if it is affecting your life and your self-esteem and your very ability to cope with daily life, we are here for you as much as we are able.

My daughter has pancreatic cancer that has spread to her liver so she is now in liver failure. I am caregiver. She lives with us. She is now on hospice with an undetermined amount of time left.

I have worked hard this past 7 months to be ready for my bariatric surgery. I've had 16 other surgeries including two lumbar, cervical, thyroid, and many more. My recovery time was always about 25% of what people normally spend. Every surgery had the nurses sending me home the next day because I kept walking the halls and wouldn't stay in be at night.

So, my question. did you all get back to normal life fairly quickly? Cooking, dusting, laundry, taking care of my daughter (husband can pretty much take care of himself). I don't mean lifting the rear-end of the truck but carrying a food tray to a bedroom. I'm not sure about the surgery timing now. I really want this surgery.
Wow Windy, I also recall you mentioning you care for your daughter but didn't realize how short her time left was. I'm not religious, but god bless you and her and your family. I'm sending love your way.

I live alone and was sent home from the hospital the day after surgery. I was able to do everyday tasks without issue. The one caveat was that I did need at least one, possibly two naps during the day. Hopefully since you've had smooth recoveries in the past, the same will be true for this one.

Back