• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Recovery?

KCaudle

Hi all. New here. My surgery for lap band removal and RYGB is scheduled for April 2. I begin the pre-surgery diet next Tuesday. What I’m curious about is how long it took to recover before you started feeling good, getting out, eating solid foods and going on an out of town trip.
Have some travel plans that may need adjusting. Just a bit apprehensive.

Everyone is different. Everyone's recovery pace is different. If you heal fast and you keep to what they say you should be up with in no time. I am asked the same question as well. But it all depends on how well your body adjusts and heals. I know you are to walk soon after surgery but not like long distances and stuff. Traveling will have to be set out until you are cleared by the doctor. So check with them.

I think a lot of your recovery depends upon your pre-surgical condition. If you have been relatively immobile or sedentary, and you have not been eating a good balance of vitamins minerals and calories, and/or building muscle tone, I think that will make a big difference the day after.

But you can't tell by looking, that's for sure. I know a lot of people who are carrying a lot of weight and are the most active, involved people I know.

I had a very hard time. I was in a lot of pain and I had my staples removed too soon. I had an open procedure which required a lot of staples from sternum to navel. I was taking a lot of Vicodin and still vomiting and passing bile because I had my gallbladder removed at the same time. It wasn't hard for me to do the liquid diet because those were actually the only things I could keep down.

I had a super important social engagement shortly after my liquid diet stage. It was an event that was coming to town that I was expected to attend. I didn't tell anyone about my surgery, so this was how I cut my teeth on socializing. I ended up laying down in someone's bedroom, feeling sick. But I did make the obligatory appearance.

The opiates made me constipated and that is a very bad thing to happen when you are trying not to blow your staples out. and I mean I was constipated! I had never experienced anything like it in my life. I hope never to experience that again.

Most people report having some kind of bowel problem afterward, whether diarrhea or constipation, you can pretty much expect it.

If I knew then what I know now I would have started taking a fiber laxative a week before the surgery. That would have actually taken care of constipation or diarrhea. As to the pain, there's really nothing I could have done. But I do remember that I was overjoyed to enter the next eating phase, which was baby food and pureed baked turkey, pudding and cream of wheat made with magic milk. The weight was falling off and I was starting to feel a little better. And everything just got better after that.

I would say that socializing took me a week to work up to and as far as traveling, I didn't do any, but I think I would have put it off for about 3 weeks post-op. Most people would not need this much time. I was in a lot of pain. And I didn't have a laparoscopic procedure, which makes all the difference. I was still restricted from driving for a month after surgery because it was major surgery done under general anesthesia.

Having said all that I really need to say that most people's stories I have read indicate that they were active the day after they returned home.

But as Mama Bear said, I would ask my doctor.

They want to do it in April. I have 2 classes to do and my therapist will send for me to do the eval after I talk with her next time. She wanted me to get the information about the diet and everything I will have to do before I go to do the phyc eval. But I have learned everything and still looking for anything I have missed. I am not letting nothing pass me. All my down time is looking for information on the bypass and the diet to come from it. I know the diet will only change on my pace by doctor's orders but I want to know what is good for each stage and what is going to make it easier for me. I have lived with hispanics all my life so their diet is different then americans. I know I am not allowed to have the spice in the food and I have been cutting it back but I think that is going to be my down fall is the spice.

I know I just hope I did not go through all the trouble of cutting the spice out for no reason. But i will try to ease it back in when I am able to

Hi all. New here. My surgery for lap band removal and RYGB is scheduled for April 2. I begin the pre-surgery diet next Tuesday. What I’m curious about is how long it took to recover before you started feeling good, getting out, eating solid foods and going on an out of town trip.
I’m having the same surgery on the same day.

ttyson, how did your surgery go? Same surgery date. I’m doing pretty well. The gas bubbles are hard for me to pass and most of the pain is where he removed the port. I’ve been able to take water and protein drinks. 30cc every 15 minutes. Been up walking laps around the post-op floor. Please let us know how it went for you.
Thanks to all for your support.

Hey KC, I don't mean to jump on your thread but I did want to say I read that you had your surgery and was thinking about you all that day and the day before. I just have been extremely sick with an upper respiratory infection for the last several days. And I had my doctor appointment about my upper GI yesterday and she is referring me to a bariatric doctor, thanks to you Mama Bear, because you said strictures and that was something I had considered but until you said it I didn't think to look very deeply into it. As it turns out I have 100% of the symptoms exactly, nail on the head. I haven't been able to get into my computer to get the referral to the bariatric doc yet. But that's not unusual for me when I get sick, I get very bad at doing things and feel very impatient and extremely stupid. If one thing doesn't work out I just want to go back to bed. Anyway, hi everybody and welcome to all you newcomers. I am a person who usually posts to this group and I love to hear what you have to say and I love to answer questions if I can and give support to everyone. Believe it or not, there is always something supportive you can say no matter what the person says to you. Take care and I will see you here soon.

I had the sleeve done. It took me two days and i was up walking around. Then i had a 2 hour dive home. So all was good. Solid foods at 3 months ok. I know that sounds like way out but it is not. Be carefull of dumping also. Remember with bypass craving will still be there so dont let them get the best of you! Water is your best friend and your multi vitamins too. Take it easy your body will let you know once your full for sure..i wish you the best of luck!

Hey ladies-
I survived! Surgery was Tuesday. I didn’t make it home until Friday at 5pm. I have 8 incisions. Some scar tissue issues from previous surgeries including an unexpected umbilical hernia. Anyway. I got my hair washed today and parts of my body showered. I am working hard on fluids and protein. Not where I need to be yet. I have no regrets and I am excited about my new life! Thanks for your support. I will try to check in at least weekly.

ttyson, so glad you made it! We’re surgery date twins. Keep up on those fluids. It’s hard but try not to get behind. This morning was the worst for me. Lots of pain where my port from the lap band was. My good friend came over and took the drain tube out. Got a shower, washed my hair and got a good walk in. Going out for another walk soon. I got to eat some strained soup for lunch too. It tasted so good after water and protein drink.
I hope your recovery goes well and swiftly. Be patient and prayers will be with you.
Take care, KC

Hey KC, I don't mean to jump on your thread but I did want to say I read that you had your surgery and was thinking about you all that day and the day before. I just have been extremely sick with an upper respiratory infection for the last several days. And I had my doctor appointment about my upper GI yesterday and she is referring me to a bariatric doctor, thanks to you Mama Bear, because you said strictures and that was something I had considered but until you said it I didn't think to look very deeply into it. As it turns out I have 100% of the symptoms exactly, nail on the head. I haven't been able to get into my computer to get the referral to the bariatric doc yet. But that's not unusual for me when I get sick, I get very bad at doing things and feel very impatient and extremely stupid. If one thing doesn't work out I just want to go back to bed. Anyway, hi everybody and welcome to all you newcomers. I am a person who usually posts to this group and I love to hear what you have to say and I love to answer questions if I can and give support to everyone. Believe it or not, there is always something supportive you can say no matter what the person says to you. Take care and I will see you here soon.

How are you doing? I have been busy. running from one doctor to another. They finally gave my pysc eval date but wanted a surgery date. Got a surgery date and now afraid they will not have the eval ready for the surgery date.

Hey ladies-
I survived! Surgery was Tuesday. I didn’t make it home until Friday at 5pm. I have 8 incisions. Some scar tissue issues from previous surgeries including an unexpected umbilical hernia. Anyway. I got my hair washed today and parts of my body showered. I am working hard on fluids and protein. Not where I need to be yet. I have no regrets and I am excited about my new life! Thanks for your support. I will try to check in at least weekly.

Glad you made it back safely. Can't wait to hear how you are doing

How are you doing? I have been busy. running from one doctor to another. They finally gave my pysc eval date but wanted a surgery date. Got a surgery date and now afraid they will not have the eval ready for the surgery date.
MamaBear, I’m doing pretty ok. I got to have soup today and it was glorious! I was so tired of water and protein drink. I’m drinking my water, getting walks in and drinking protein but soup, you’ll be surprised how good that tastes. Pain has been off and on, this morning was terrible. My nurse friend came over and talked my husband through taking a drain out. He did good! Took a potent pain pill really helped, and now am just taking the non-narcotic pain pills. When is your surgical date? I will be praying for you. You have been a great support for me. Keep me informed. KC

Back