• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Regain (around 2 years out)

MrsDurham

Hello,

I am almost two years out from sleeve surgery. I was very successful and diligent in following all the rules for over a year. I lost 120 pounds and was super active and still losing. However, then I had an emergency appendectomy and gallbladder removal in the same week. I got knocked down and couldn’t be active. Eating was difficult so I started snacking bc it was better than nothing. Then right when I was recovering from that my student teaching internship started. I decided to put all my focus into that and delay taking the weight stuff too seriously. It can be a difficult process and I have been in school eight years to get to this point.

Anyway, now here we are and my internship is ending and I am sitting with some weight gain. I have gained 35 from my smallest weight. I’m mad at myself because I never hit my goal weight of 155. My doctor only ever gave me a goal of “under 200.” I have been logging my food and water again and have started activity back. Of course, it’s strange now bc I cant exactly go to the gym due to COVID19. So I am walking and doing some light strength training in the house.

So I have been back on my game for a week and expected the water weight to drop off fast but I have only lost one pound. Now I am really upset and feel like I have thrown everything out the window. I aim for sustainability and my doctor agrees. So I don’t do fad diets and I don’t cut carbs majorly bc I am active. Does anyone have any advice? I am trying here bc the Facebook groups seem to be one extreme to the other. I am wanting to find something sustainable- not extreme. I just don’t feel like that will end up in long term success.

Maybe I’m just looking for some encouragement bc I am so sad and mad at myself. How did you all choose a goal weight? Macro goals? Water goals? My doctor keeps that stuff super generic and o feel like I’m just muddling around. Thanks in advance!

Svroll down to the bottom of the messages to our Resource section and read the five day pouch test. It teaches you to reset your pouch and even though I stress to people that it's hard to stretch your stomach organ, it does stretch in the first two years. A weight gain of 10 to 20 lb is normal because your body is finding its set point. It's nothing to be alarmed about, but you probably will find that 10 to 20 lb extremely hard to lose and to stay gone.

So I am walking and doing some light strength training in the house.

So I have been back on my game for a week and expected the water weight to drop off fast but I have only lost one pound. Now I am really upset and feel like I have thrown everything out the window.
Hi MrsDurham! Congrats on recognizing areas that need improvement and making the necessary changes. That in itself is a HUGE step. I just want you to keep in mind that with just starting to walk again and adding in strength training, it may take a little bit of time to see the results you want to see. Getting back into it is building your muscles back up and muscle weighs more than fat. The scale is an easy thing to use to see where you stand, but you should also watch your measurements. You may end up seeing a drop in your measurements when you may not see it initially on the scale. Keep with it and the scale will start to reflect your efforts. You've got this! :)

Back