• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Regulating body temp

Tokash

I know this is often an issue post surgery. When does this level out, I am freezing and need any and all pointers to stay warm.

I was a person that was usually cold prior to surgery anyway but now its almost unbearable. I live in MN and it's like 40 right now and I can't imagine how I will tolerate it when it gets to its normal winter. Right now most days I am wearing 2 pairs of pants (leggings or cold weather gear under sweat pants) and then two shirts. When I am working I am also sitting under a heated blanket that warms to 120 degrees, in the upper level of my house with the door shut to keep any heat in the room. Our furnace is set at 68. I can't turn it up more without roasting out my family or waking during the night sweating(at night I sleep under 2 solar blankets with the same type of clothing).

When I am in the living room I am usually under 2-3 blankets. If I need to I will bring my electric blanket down but I try to avoid that because then I end up with 3 dogs on top of me. I also started to wear socks- and I have socks sensory issues but thats how cold my feet are.

Today we went to see my mom. Her house is 70. I was dressed in my standard clothing for the day. By the time we left tonight I was shivering to the point it was noticeable and my body hurts from the muscles tighten to shiver. I'm honestly ready to buy a heated jacket/shirt. I shivered the whole way home with the heat on high for half the drive (before my kids complained for being hot) and its 30-40 min drive)

Have you taken your temperature to make sure there is no fever? I have had some temperature regulation problems too but it didn't seem to be as bad as what you are describing. Maybe give the doctor a call to see what he/she says.

Have you taken your temperature to make sure there is no fever? I have had some temperature regulation problems too but it didn't seem to be as bad as what you are describing. Maybe give the doctor a call to see what he/she says.

No I haven't but its been like this from the get go and I am going on 7 weeks post op.

No I haven't but its been like this from the get go and I am going on 7 weeks post op.

Ok, wasn't sure how long ago you had the surgery and wanted to make sure you didn't have any infection going on. My son and daughter in-law live in St. Paul so I know how cold it can get there. I hope it resolves itself soon. Still, might not be a bad idea to discuss with the doctor. Good luck!

I am literally sitting here in heavy winter weight sweats, socks and slippers with the heat on, freezing my A$$ off!! My cousin had the sleeve back in December and said she is still colder than normal. I have taken my temp (pretty often because I'm cold ALL the time) no fever. Just freaking COLD .. all .. the .. time. I told my nutritionist when I spoke to her Monday and she said "you're in for a long, cold winter". Obviously, that didn't help. So, I have no advice or anything. Just wanted to commiserate and make sure I get notified if anyone posts anything helpful!

I am literally sitting here in heavy winter weight sweats, socks and slippers with the heat on, freezing my A$$ off!! My cousin had the sleeve back in December and said she is still colder than normal. I have taken my temp (pretty often because I'm cold ALL the time) no fever. Just freaking COLD .. all .. the .. time. I told my nutritionist when I spoke to her Monday and she said "you're in for a long, cold winter". Obviously, that didn't help. So, I have no advice or anything. Just wanted to commiserate and make sure I get notified if anyone posts anything helpful!

Pre surgery i frequently was a blanket hoarder and always slept with 2 solar blankets but would sleep in a sweatshirt and shorts. Now I have a few more layers. My spouse is from Hawaii and multi times a year I always ask if we can move there....if might be more begging this year. My kids run around in a shirt and underwear complaining they are hot and I can't put enough on most days.

Once I get my temp up and regulated it tends to stay there for awhile but as soon as I step out the door I'm done for. Friday we had snow very briefly and it was a quick reminder of what I am in for.

I know this is often an issue post surgery. When does this level out, I am freezing and need any and all pointers to stay warm.

I was a person that was usually cold prior to surgery anyway but now its almost unbearable. I live in MN and it's like 40 right now and I can't imagine how I will tolerate it when it gets to its normal winter. Right now most days I am wearing 2 pairs of pants (leggings or cold weather gear under sweat pants) and then two shirts. When I am working I am also sitting under a heated blanket that warms to 120 degrees, in the upper level of my house with the door shut to keep any heat in the room. Our furnace is set at 68. I can't turn it up more without roasting out my family or waking during the night sweating(at night I sleep under 2 solar blankets with the same type of clothing).

When I am in the living room I am usually under 2-3 blankets. If I need to I will bring my electric blanket down but I try to avoid that because then I end up with 3 dogs on top of me. I also started to wear socks- and I have socks sensory issues but thats how cold my feet are.

Today we went to see my mom. Her house is 70. I was dressed in my standard clothing for the day. By the time we left tonight I was shivering to the point it was noticeable and my body hurts from the muscles tighten to shiver. I'm honestly ready to buy a heated jacket/shirt. I shivered the whole way home with the heat on high for half the drive (before my kids complained for being hot) and its 30-40 min drive)

It's not just you. I also live in MN. I take a hot bath at least twice a week. I'm 10 months post-op. It doesn't happen every day, but I notice it most in the late afternoon. It was more frequent through the first 6 months.

Also, I notice that when I do my interval running workouts on Tuesdays and Saturdays that I'll work out, stretch, take a shower, but I'll have to wear winter clothes-type layering like you inside, and I'll have a blanket on me for most of the rest of the day or my teeth with chatter and I'll have the shivers. I drink a lot of hot tea on those days, too. I sit in front of the fireplace a lot at home.

I know this has a lot to do with loss of body fat, and the brain cooling off your body after a hard workout. But I also am hypothyroid, so it's not like my body is great at regulating temperature as it is. Having your thyroid checked might also be a good move. All my best to you.

It's not just you. I also live in MN. I take a hot bath at least twice a week. I'm 10 months post-op. It doesn't happen every day, but I notice it most in the late afternoon. It was more frequent through the first 6 months.

Also, I notice that when I do my interval running workouts on Tuesdays and Saturdays that I'll work out, stretch, take a shower, but I'll have to wear winter clothes-type layering like you inside, and I'll have a blanket on me for most of the rest of the day or my teeth with chatter and I'll have the shivers. I drink a lot of hot tea on those days, too. I sit in front of the fireplace a lot at home.

I know this has a lot to do with loss of body fat, and the brain cooling off your body after a hard workout. But I also am hypothyroid, so it's not like my body is great at regulating temperature as it is. Having your thyroid checked might also be a good move. All my best to you.

I haven't had it checked post surgery but they checked it almost obsessively before had because they seemed to always think that was the reason to my weight problems before had but it was always fine.

I haven't had it checked post surgery but they checked it almost obsessively before had because they seemed to always think that was the reason to my weight problems before had but it was always fine.
Mine registered as normal from age 27-37 -- but with all of the symptoms. Finally at 37 it swung down enough to abnormal and they put me on meds. It's helped, but it's not perfect for sure. Then once it went abnormal it's been a hot mess to control since then. I've been all over the place. When I got the VSG, I was hoping the medication would go down. But that's apparently only happened with a limited number of thyroid cases. I'm 40% smaller than I was, but my thyroid needs the exact same amount of medication to regulate those hormones as it did at 273 lbs. But then again, my body couldn't hold onto a high vitamin D supplementation before surgery, and now it's super absorbing them and I've had to reduce my intake.

Total physiological change really threw the whole system for a loop.

I'm currently on the hunt for a puffy winter coat that is like a big sleeping bag, so I can get through January. :)

Mine registered as normal from age 27-37 -- but with all of the symptoms. Finally at 37 it swung down enough to abnormal and they put me on meds. It's helped, but it's not perfect for sure. Then once it went abnormal it's been a hot mess to control since then. I've been all over the place. When I got the VSG, I was hoping the medication would go down. But that's apparently only happened with a limited number of thyroid cases. I'm 40% smaller than I was, but my thyroid needs the exact same amount of medication to regulate those hormones as it did at 273 lbs. But then again, my body couldn't hold onto a high vitamin D supplementation before surgery, and now it's super absorbing them and I've had to reduce my intake.

Total physiological change really threw the whole system for a loop.

I'm currently on the hunt for a puffy winter coat that is like a big sleeping bag, so I can get through January. :)
MN represent!
also may I suggest the best puffy coat I ever purchased. Universal Standard Kanda Puffer.

Somebody asked about my temp...I will admit, I dont actually own a thermometer. I got annoyed several years ago with them never working and how inaccurate they are so gave up buying them. I think the last time I owned one was probably before my last daughter was born and that was because I know somebody who works at 3M and frequently get free things.

That said I went to the dentist this morning and thanks to Covid every appointment anywhere comes with a free temp check. I clocked in at 97.7. Fine as can be. By nature I am actually a very healthy person. I very seldom ever get sick- I put this to the fact that I work with lots of little kids that or often sick and snotty everywhere. I have even had parents bring them in to which they report "I was throwing up earlier today," thanks but you can go home now. Despite being overweight most of my life the rest of my health aside from some slight arthritis has been pretty darn amazing.

This is one of my (mild) concerns. I tend to wear hoodies, heavy long sleeved T-shirt’s, heavy socks, etc. I’m literally wrapped up in a blanket right now. I tend towards being cold, and winters in St.Louis, while not as harsh as MN, can be very frigid. I keep my hoodies out and available year round because of the AC running in the house. AC is set at 74 and heat usually at 70. My husband and kids complain if it’s set at other temperatures, and I don’t mind bundling up. Mornings are worse for me because in the evening my house heats up with cooking dinner. But I have thought about what it will be like losing my insulation, and how much colder I’m going to feel. I’ll definitely keep my oversized coat because I can add lots of layers underneath if need be.

Back