• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Relationships after surgery

Loops

I’ve made the decision to get this surgery for my own health and my family. I just wonder if any of you out there have had issues in your relationship’s because of the surgery. My husband when ever I would mention my weight would reassure me and say I was the type of woman he was attracted too. I’m getting a little worried that he might not find me attractive after surgery. Maybe it’s pre surgery jitters two more days to go.

I’ve made the decision to get this surgery for my own health and my family. I just wonder if any of you out there have had issues in your relationship’s because of the surgery. My husband when ever I would mention my weight would reassure me and say I was the type of woman he was attracted too. I’m getting a little worried that he might not find me attractive after surgery. Maybe it’s pre surgery jitters two more days to go.

Hi Loops, I'm willing to bet he's WAY more attracted to the person you are and looks come in a distant second! He'll be happy for you because you're doing this for you and to be healthy. What's not to love?! Good luck on Monday- you'll do fantastic! Please keep us updated on your progress, ok? I'm day 4 of the pre-op diet and an hour or so ago I was thinking "I got this!" and with my stomach gurgling now I'm wondering what the hell I'm doing and trying to keep my eye on the big picture! ;)

I think most of the time, getting healthy and looking better is a positive thing for a relationship, but, yes, sometimes "love" goes away. It happened to me.

I didn't realize how attracted my boyfriend was to my body. I knew our relationship was highly sexualized, but didn't realize my DD breasts were really the lynch pin it hung on. He was quiet and I know he didn't want to discourage me, but at the same time, he didn't want to be with a skinny woman. I was actually in denial. Near the end of my weight loss he started dating someone else, but I had already decided I was going to be open to that. I figured if I was Number One, I'd always be Number One, and it didn't matter if there were others in line behind me.

Anyway, he stopped calling me, stopped coming by, emailed less, and I still didn't see it. We never formally broke up. He just disappeared. Eventually he told me, in a roundabout way, that it was because I had become unattractive to him, and specifically, he missed the DDs that had dropped to D-cups. There's just no pleasing some people, especially if they have a type and a weak, entitled character with an ego that cannot be buffed up enough.

If we had been married, I think there would have been a lot more discussion. I think he saw the fact that we weren't married as an exit door.

I don't think this happens very often, but if you're anxious about it, discuss it. I don't know if you can turn him away from stupid, immature physical ideals, even though you're both going to get old and wrinkled and flabby as you age, in most cases. If I had it to do over again, I would have tried to protect myself and prepare for the possibility that I had misjudged the level of commitment he felt for me.

After I lost the weight, I lost him, and I started getting a lot of attention and dating a lot. But as it turned out, those attentions were just as unsatisfying as the disappointment he had shown me.

It's been 15 years and I can tell you, I couldn't care less about him anymore. It took a long time to get there, and it wasn't like I got a replacement man to take his place. Instead, my life became super-active and when I walked by a mirror or my reflection in a store window, my subconscious went WOW, you look fantastic. The dynamic of that helped me to look at other aspects of my life and I became productive as a writer, and artist, a musician and all my other buried talents, including cooking and baking.

In retrospect, I see that this kind of judgment had been haunting me since my teens. Boys always wanted me for my body and if I wasn't getting wolf-whistles as cars passed by or when I was in a store or at a party, I felt deficient.

No more. I'm happy with my body in my 70s but mostly because I have no health problems, while others around me are in and out of hospitals or loaded up on prescription drugs. In the last two months, five of my peers have died. But I'm alive and waiting for the hiking season to begin so I can go out and hike the mountains of the North Cascades. I eat anything I want, but my diet is balanced and I feel great.

Feeling good without a man in my life is a thousand times better than feeling like an inadequate failure with a man who thinks I don't measure up. In fact, it was only by losing a man I thought I loved eternally freed me from stupid, worshipful, second-class-citizen low self-esteem.

If I ever have a man again, he has to match me and my inner standards, whether he thinks I'm gorgeous or just okay. But having raised my son alone, who's now 42, has cured me of the obsession of finding a mate. I'm much better off.

I'm free.

You might not be able to accept it if your mate finds you less attractive. But I urge you to spend as much time as possible noticing your own fine qualities, and sharing them with others. The less time you pay caring about what he thinks, the more time you have to help the homeless, volunteer at civic organizations, reach out to suffering friends, being an ear for someone else on the crisis line and LAUGHING at the simply joyous moments of the hummingbird outside your window or the brilliant yellow dandelions littering your lawn.

We have a Warm Line here in Seattle. I can call if I need to and talk to a peer who's been challenged as I have. The listener may be struggling with weight but s/he's reaching out to offer help to others who are struggling with daily activities. Turn away from the negatives. Turn them into positives. If your mate isn't attracted to someone who can do that, please realize, you deserve someone better.

Last edited:
I think most of the time, getting healthy and looking better is a positive thing for a relationship, but, yes, sometimes "love" goes away. It happened to me.

I didn't realize how attracted my boyfriend was to my body. I knew our relationship was highly sexualized, but didn't realize my DD breasts were really the lynch pin it hung on. He was quiet and I know he didn't want to discourage me, but at the same time, he didn't want to be with a skinny woman. I was actually in denial. Near the end of my weight loss he started dating someone else, but I had already decided I was going to be open to that. I figured if I was Number One, I'd always be Number One, and it didn't matter if there were others in line behind me.

Anyway, he stopped calling me, stopped coming by, emailed less, and I still didn't see it. We never formally broke up. He just disappeared. Eventually he told me, in a roundabout way, that it was because I had become unattractive to him, and specifically, he missed the DDs that had dropped to D-cups. There's just no pleasing some people, especially if they have a type and a weak, entitled character with an ego that cannot be buffed up enough.

If we had been married, I think there would have been a lot more discussion. I think he saw the fact that we weren't married as an exit door.

I don't think this happens very often, but if you're anxious about it, discuss it. I don't know if you can turn him away from stupid, immature physical ideals, even though you're both going to get old and wrinkled and flabby as you age, in most cases. If I had it to do over again, I would have tried to protect myself and prepare for the possibility that I had misjudged the level of commitment he felt for me.

After I lost the weight, I lost him, and I started getting a lot of attention and dating a lot. But as it turned out, those attentions were just as unsatisfying as the disappointment he had shown me.

It's been 15 years and I can tell you, I couldn't care less about him anymore. It took a long time to get there, and it wasn't like I got a replacement man to take his place. Instead, my life became super-active and when I walked by a mirror or my reflection in a store window, my subconscious went WOW, you look fantastic. The dynamic of that helped me to look at other aspects of my life and I became productive as a writer, and artist, a musician and all my other buried talents, including cooking and baking.

In retrospect, I see that this kind of judgment had been haunting me since my teens. Boys always wanted me for my body and if I wasn't getting wolf-whistles as cars passed by or when I was in a store or at a party, I felt deficient.

No more. I'm happy with my body in my 70s but mostly because I have no health problems, while others around me are in and out of hospitals or loaded up on prescription drugs. In the last two months, five of my peers have died. But I'm alive and waiting for the hiking season to begin so I can go out and hike the mountains of the North Cascades. I eat anything I want, but my diet is balanced and I feel great.

Feeling good without a man in my life is a thousand times better than feeling like an inadequate failure with a man who thinks I don't measure up. In fact, it was only by losing a man I thought I loved eternally freed me from stupid, worshipful, second-class-citizen low self-esteem.

If I ever have a man again, he has to match me and my inner standards, whether he thinks I'm gorgeous or just okay. But having raised my son alone, who's now 42, has cured me of the obsession of finding a mate. I'm much better off.

I'm free.

You might not be able to accept it if your mate finds you less attractive. But I urge you to spend as much time as possible noticing your own fine qualities, and sharing them with others. The less time you pay caring about what he thinks, the more time you have to help the homeless, volunteer at civic organizations, reach out to suffering friends, being an ear for someone else on the crisis line and LAUGHING at the simply joyous moments of the hummingbird outside your window or the brilliant yellow dandelions littering your lawn.

We have a Warm Line here in Seattle. I can call if I need to and talk to a peer who's been challenged as I have. The listener may be struggling with weight but s/he's reaching out to offer help to others who are struggling with daily activities. Turn away from the negatives. Turn them into positives. If your mate isn't attracted to someone who can do that, please realize, you deserve someone better.
View attachment 5535

View attachment 5536

View attachment 5537
so is the guy in the first pic the ex?

so is the guy in the first pic the ex?

No, that's actually my brother. I wouldn't post pictures of anyone I'd dated or married without permission. I couldn't find the before/after photo, which is on my photo pages here on our group site, but I thought I did post it in a separate post. Still can't find it on my computer, but it is here: https://www.americanbariatrics.org/before-and-after-bariatric-pics/diane-2004-2008.721/

I really hope my before and after photo (wearing the same tank top) is inspiring for someone who's struggling. Even with WLS we can still be so disappointed with the way our bodies look.

I'm free.

View attachment 5535

View attachment 5536

View attachment 5537
You look beautiful

Dianeseattle - you have wisdom that is priceless . What a wonderful mind to think the way you do. Hopefully,just by reading your posts,some of you will rub off on me . ;)

I'll tell you, there are thousands of posts within this group that are filled with wisdom. Some of them are relatable to your specific journey, and others are from people YOU can help because of your unique point of view. Thousands! Finding this group helped me realize how many questions I had for which there were no answers among the general public. Only people who have shared the struggles and pain we have can reap the benefits of this group's rainbow of challenges. I've learned so much from people here, and some of the things I read were hard for me to accept. But just the fact that they disturbed me or made me think or want to deny convinced me that I have a lot of problems that brought me to WLS in the first place. Even if my problems are different than someone else's, it all comes back to compulsive overeating, obesity and fat-related health problems. Just looking at the first page is a blessing, because there's so much truth there.

And having read your posts to the group, I can see that a lot of wisdom here has already rubbed off on you. And maybe more importantly, you shared your feelings with us all, and that is priceless.

Both my long-time partner and I have struggled with weight. We’ve both done different things with some short term success, but it hadn’t lasted. Yesterday I weighed myself and for the first time ever I weighed less than him, and my surgery is a couple days away. He was quiet and said he was tired last night after I got home from work, unusual for him. I have 100% worried if he’ll still be attracted to me after I loose weight. I’m 5 years older than he is and I’ve had worried about looking older. I also had breast cancer in 2017 and have what I call Barbie Boobs (no nipples)…
I think what I’m trying to say is, no. I don’t think you are abnormal for having these thoughts at all! I think with a life change as big as this ANY thought is valid. I’m trying to remind myself that I’m doing this because I deserve to feel healthy and I want to experience that life. Your husband married YOU. That person doesn’t go away that person is written on who you are. This will be an adjustment for him too! Lord knows I worry about date nights with my guy when we love going to new restaurants together. Plus, I think anytime a woman learns to invest in herself there is a light that shines that makes her even more beautiful!!

My ex wanted me big so that others would not look at me (isn't that a sad statement on society - it is true that I receive MUCH better treatment in public than I did when I was obese). He was cheating when I started my journey and left following surgery for a woman that was even larger than my max weight. Ironically, she had the surgery as well about 18 months ago and has lost a considerable amount of weight. I am not vengeful at all (well, not anymore), but it does give me a chuckle that he destroyed his family, only to end up in the exact same situation.

My ex wanted me big so that others would not look at me (isn't that a sad statement on society - it is true that I receive MUCH better treatment in public than I did when I was obese). He was cheating when I started my journey and left following surgery for a woman that was even larger than my max weight. Ironically, she had the surgery as well about 18 months ago and has lost a considerable amount of weight. I am not vengeful at all (well, not anymore), but it does give me a chuckle that he destroyed his family, only to end up in the exact same situation.
So sorry to hear that, I'm glad you are in a better place in your life now without his extra weight carry with you as well.

My boyfriend of 14 years just broke up with me largelybecause of my WLS. When ! asked him how I looked he said I had a lot of loose skin. He was constantly trying to give me pastries. Its true that relationships change after surgery. I think that its possible that I am placing more importance of myself. I am sad that he was so shallow. I don't know why I didn't see it coming.

My boyfriend of 14 years just broke up with me largely because of my WLS. When ! asked him how I looked he said I had a lot of loose skin. He was constantly trying to give me pastries. Its true that relationships change after surgery. I think that its possible that I am placing more importance of myself. I am sad that he was so shallow. I don't know why I didn't see it coming.

You absolutely have it right. I had a boyfriend and the same thing happened. He was a large part of the reason I had the surgery. But he liked me fat. Fat! I didn't see it coming either. Consider yourself lucky. Imagine if you didn't have the surgery and didn't get the self-esteem you earned because of the nurturing behavior YOU showed to yourself.

It is odd that he was your boyfriend for 14 years and apparently there weren't clues. Do you think it's possible he used your surgery as an excuse, and there's another reason he ended the relationship/ You said "largely because." So there were probably other reasons. And 14 years is a long time for a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, unless you'd both agreed neither of you wanted to marry.

I don't want to evaluate it much, but this guy has to be some kind of jerk. I don't know when your surgery was, but over time, a lot of skin snaps back a little and firms up. I don't know if you exercise or have worked on areas to tighten up and strengthen your muscles, but even that doesn't matter. He was with you for 14 years, and that doesn't happen every day. I haven't had a relationship in my 72 years that lasted more than a few years. Generally after the first year, there's a pivotal change that either leads to a strong commitment or you find yourselves drifting apart.

I'm both impressed and baffled by relationships that last any significant time, though my parents were married for 63 years before my dad died. I actually got a really warped perception of relationships because they NEVER fought in front of us, so we thought if you really loved each other, you never fought. Period. But the truth was they just kept popping out babies until they had 8 kids, and always fought behind the bedroom door, in private. I didn't know they fought at all. So in every relationship I had, if we had a fight, that was a signal to me that the relationship would soon be over.

You are NOT placing too much relationship on yourself. As you grow as a person, that should be an enhancement to your mutual relationship.

I'm sure you're in pain, and I hope you find a way, at least, to be proud of who you are. You sound really special to me. I hope you agree. You're all that and a bag of chips. The man you eventually find will be attracted to that, and you should feel free to be you so the attraction grows. Now's your grieving time, but believe me, it's not you. It's him. He just passed up the best woman he could ever get. And there's plenty of fish in the sea.

p.s.: There are surgical procedures to remove folds of skin if exercise doesn't work well enough. If you can afford them, I hope you'll use them if YOU want to. Do it for yourself, then go get yourself some pretty clothes, join a gym, start hiking or at least park your car far away in the parking lot so you have to walk a long way to get in the store.

I have been married 25 years, and have battled my weight since college, before we met. Both of us had lost weight before we met as well. After each of my 3 pregnancies, my body changed, when I would lose the weight, I would get pregnant again and have to start all over. He always said I was beautiful no matter how I looked. When I lost weight, I felt better, sexier, more energetic, sporty, whatever, and my joy was attractive also. He always wanted what made me feel fulfilled and cares about my health because he loves me. He was encouraging when I was dieting but he also would let me get away with whatever I wanted (when I wanted to cheat). He is an energizer bunny personality, always willing to work all day and still go for a hike or long bike ride encouraging me to exercise with him. When I am overweight or morbidly obese it is too hard to do those things together, so I look forward to achieving a healthy weight so we can have more activities in common again.

Last edited:
That's the thing right there, Finally! It is, of course, an adjustment for your spouse to new habits etc. However, a spouse that loves you supports you will always do so when you're making healthy changes for yourself.

I remember being worried because I'd read that a fairly large percentage of people who get bariatric surgery end up divorced. And my husband was not super supportive of the idea of WLS in the beginning. Mostly because he didn't want to change his eating habits lol I chose to continue on, as I truly believed (and still do) that it was the only way for me to get and stay healthy.

My husband had the WLS a year and a half after I did. We have a great life, are active and still in love. Now, we both have loose skin etc lol Even without surgery, our bodies have changed through the years and will continue to do so.

Seeing how a potential partner responds or reacts to normal bodily functions would be a good test of the viability of the relationship. However, I think most people learn over time how to limit flatulence, and excusing oneself from the room quickly and briefly adds a level of mystery to the whole thing. EVERYBODY FARTS. But taking anti-gas meds and learning to leave the toom quickly, even pressing down on the spot through your clothes to lessen the "eruption" of sound, all good. It would be kinda cool to have a conversation with a prospective partner about things like farting and snoring and smacking lips while eating, and other bodily sounds, early in the relationship. Once it's out there, you don't have to deal with the surprise element of the sneak attack.

Back