• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Remakes

Shaft with Samuel Jackson? I'm with you there, bro, and you KNOW how I feel about the masterpiece that is a remake of True Grit!
although Christian Bale was woefully miscast in that movie. It's one of at least 5 of his movies where he almost sucked. Fortunately, he's had some great directors who've put him in the most amazing movies around. I guess you could call Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises remakes, and since Batman has been my hero since I was a child, I appreciate how hard it is for anyone to make a smash Batman movie. But yes, I did love Michael Keaton in his two turns as The Bat, but it's a whole different kind of production. And again, Michael Keaton is a brilliant actor with great films to his credit.

although Christian Bale was woefully miscast in that movie. It's one of at least 5 of his movies where he almost sucked. Fortunately, he's had some great directors who've put him in the most amazing movies around. I guess you could call Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises remakes, and since Batman has been my hero since I was a child, I appreciate how hard it is for anyone to make a smash Batman movie. But yes, I did love Michael Keaton in his two turns as The Bat, but it's a whole different kind of production. And again, Michael Keaton is a brilliant actor with great films to his credit.
Right on

But you've been around the biz. Didn't you find it a little phony? KK was great. And I love Barbra Streisand but IMHO she was WAY too big for that role. Saw her in Funny Girl last week and marveled at how good she is. I regret every second I spent watching the Cooper/GaGa version, which is sad, because it could have been really good. But It was practically redundant, since nothing could top Crazy Heart in the category of fallen heroes.

Oh, and I wanted to comment yesterday on movies I walked out on: The first one was Bustin' Loose, which I only went to see because a lot of it is filmed on the backroads around Sultan, Washington, just a few miles from the farm where I grew up. Wasted cast.

The other movie I couldn't stomach was Steel Magnolias. Some filmmakers want to produce these big tearjerkers that will make the audience cry. But the script... the story... it all just sucked.

But you've been around the biz. Didn't you find it a little phony? KK was great. And I love Barbra Streisand but IMHO she was WAY too big for that role. Saw her in Funny Girl last week and marveled at how good she is. I regret every second I spent watching the Cooper/GaGa version, which is sad, because it could have been really good. But It was practically redundant, since nothing could top Crazy Heart in the category of fallen heroes.
yeah it was a bit phony but I loved it I was a huge Streisand and Kris fan at the time too so it was ok

I'm with you on 3:10 to Yuma. Geez, it's so weird that we've applauded two modern films with Western settings and themes, although both of them took place on the cusp of the 20th century. When I tuned in to the John Wayne version of True Grit a little while back, I was stunned by the incredible violence of it, just in the town scenes in the beginning, not to mention the HORRIBLE acting, that standard stage fighting and falling down stuntmen were taught in those days.

Now, this isn't a remake and I'm not sure how many remakes I've seen (I generally avoid them, and sequels), but The Empire Strikes Back was WAY better than Star Wars and Return of the Jedi was just a joke. Did I see that someone is remaking E.T.? "Phone home, oh, wait, I have my cell phone in the folds of my skin here..." That would be a mistake.

Saw the remake of Mary Poppins. Stands on its own but barely a remake. Didn't see Doolittle and don't plan to. I do think Charley and the Chocolate Factory was better than Willy Wonka, but the remake had a phenomenal cast, not to mention special effects.

I'm given to understand the remake of Psycho was a failure on every level. Didn't see it, didn't want to.

I'm dreading the remake of Call of the Wild and I didn't care for the first one. That book gave me nightmares as a child, because of Jack London's graphic descriptions of the abuse of dogs. I swear, sometimes I love dogs more than people. Anyway, I'm not going to see it. I still have my original, ratty hardcover from 4th grade. It's hard to read.

Back