• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Revision surgery to bypass

I have... feel free to message me with any questions you have!

Just general thoughts? I didnt don't originally due to fears of malnutrition and all the vitamins(I hate pills).

However, I just reached out to my doc to find out if it's possible and what my insurance would require. At this point I am over the acid issues. I take 80mg of meds a day and at times take papaya enzymes on top of it. I have a signif8cant family history of severe reflux(which I did not know prior to surgery). Some of these family members ended up with throat cancer. My fear of that and living potentially another 40+ years with this issue out weigh the fear of malnutrition.

I dont really care if I lose more weight. I am content where I am at its really only for the acid issue.

I wish I had done the bypass from the start. Ironically, after years of acid issues, I can eat a more well-rounded diet now after bypass than I could before. I did lose some weight with the revision, but mostly because I was no longer having to eat slider foods. I was not willing to live on the meds and risk Barrett's Esophagus and/or cancer concerns from the acid for the rest of my life. The only thing that I have to be much more aware of with the bypass vs the sleeve is sugar - too much can hit you with dumping syndrome fast and hard.

If you are not looking for the weight loss, the surgeon can do a smaller bypass section to lessen the malabsorption portion of the surgery. Expect that the insurance will push back, and the doc will need to do a peer to peer interview with the insurance company to explain the lack of anatomy to do a traditional fix for the reflux, and that the bypass is not for weight loss.

Insurance will probably fight you all the way, especially because it has probably been documented that your reflux is under control with meds. My best friend Jenny had the sleeve and ended up with horrible reflux but meds kept it under control so insurance wouldn’t cover at first. It took peer to peer calls with her surgeon more than once before they let her have her revision. Took her about a year. I hope your insurance is more understanding. Being on pills the rest of your life for reflux is not a fix for the underlying problem but it’s cheaper so that’s what they are always looking at. The only other thing she had going for her was that her BMI was still 35 and she had sleep apnea. That’s what eventually tipped things in her favor. Good luck with this and be ready for a fight!

Insurance will probably fight you all the way, especially because it has probably been documented that your reflux is under control with meds. My best friend Jenny had the sleeve and ended up with horrible reflux but meds kept it under control so insurance wouldn’t cover at first. It took peer to peer calls with her surgeon more than once before they let her have her revision. Took her about a year. I hope your insurance is more understanding. Being on pills the rest of your life for reflux is not a fix for the underlying problem but it’s cheaper so that’s what they are always looking at. The only other thing she had going for her was that her BMI was still 35 and she had sleep apnea. That’s what eventually tipped things in her favor. Good luck with this and be ready for a fight!

It's actually not documented as well managed. I switched insurance a couple of months ago and have been fighting them because they wouldn't cover the medication saying it's too high of a dose. Eventually we gave up and switched to something they would cover. However that didn't work at all so I switched back and have been paying out of pocket for the medication. It has not been well managed at all and it's been over 2 years since i had my surgery.

Due to my job I am very used to fighting insurance for coverage of necessary care. I got time and will fight. Given the nature of the issue, the risk of cancer if not properly treated, the pattern of meds not working or only slightly helping, family history of severe reflux I feel there is enough to take the fight.

Last edited:
Just general thoughts? I didnt don't originally due to fears of malnutrition and all the vitamins(I hate pills).

However, I just reached out to my doc to find out if it's possible and what my insurance would require. At this point I am over the acid issues. I take 80mg of meds a day and at times take papaya enzymes on top of it. I have a signif8cant family history of severe reflux(which I did not know prior to surgery). Some of these family members ended up with throat cancer. My fear of that and living potentially another 40+ years with this issue out weigh the fear of malnutrition.

I dont really care if I lose more weight. I am content where I am at its really only for the acid issue.
I had really bad acid reflux and a hiatal hernia and my surgeon fixed my reflux and hernia while he was doing the bypass surgery. My reflux was so bad that in the past two weeks I was hospitalized for it twice before my bypass surgery

I am 8 days post-op from my revision. I did not do it for weight loss, however would not mind if I lost a little. I did it strictly for my severe acid reflux. I have to continue 1 dose a day of my acid reflux med for 6 months and then supposedly I am off them for good. We will see. i will probably always need TUMS. I was on such high doses of anti reflux medication for so many years that I have now been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I would love to say with all certainty the revision is worth it, all I can say is I am glad I did it.

I am 8 days post-op from my revision. I did not do it for weight loss, however would not mind if I lost a little. I did it strictly for my severe acid reflux. I have to continue 1 dose a day of my acid reflux med for 6 months and then supposedly I am off them for good. We will see. i will probably always need TUMS. I was on such high doses of anti reflux medication for so many years that I have now been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I would love to say with all certainty the revision is worth it, all I can say is I am glad I did it.
I had bypass (not a revision, just bypass from the start) But I chose it because I already have SEVERE GERD! I was on 2 high dose prescriptions and still eating tums every day. Long story short, I am 8 months post op TODAY and have been off ALL acid meds for months now. Haven't even eaten a single tums! My GERD is completely resolved. So you might be ok, it does happen!
Good luck!

I go in this Friday to speak to the surgeon to see how he wants to attack this. It's a new surgeon to me but I hear he is good. I'm sick of being miserable so hopefully something soon. I'm over a constant sore throat and at times difficulty speaking- which isn't helpful when I talk all day for my job.

I go in this Friday to speak to the surgeon to see how he wants to attack this. It's a new surgeon to me but I hear he is good. I'm sick of being miserable so hopefully something soon. I'm over a constant sore throat and at times difficulty speaking- which isn't helpful when I talk all day for my job.
I really hope the appointment goes well for you on Friday. Keep us posted.

Endoscopy schedule for next week to make sure nothing else may be going on and to see how "tore up" my throat looks. In the mean time the insurance person will start working on getting approval from insurance for a revision.

Based on symptoms alone(Persistent sore throat, burning chest most days, burp acid/vomit, hoarse voice by end of days, sometimes triggered by just drinking water) he is recommending the revision.

The potential negatives freak me out but I think the potential of throat cancer and the at times lack of desire to eat because I don't know if it will make it worse outweighs the negative.

How was the recovery on this compared to the original surgery? I had a long recovery originally. I don't take pain meds and I just started my own business and need to know how bad of a income hit I am in for.

I am now 18-days post-op. Recovery was so much bether this time around. I took pain meds while in the hospital And then for 2 days once I got home. I was in the hospital for 5 days. Usually it is 2-4 days. I have hypotension and was struggling to get my blood pressure regulated. I was not given my normal daily medication In the hospital. I also came home with oxygen for when I sleep. I am seeing my PCM on Tuesday to order a new sleep study. I have not had sleep apnea for 5 years, so I am not sure why my oxygen is dropping throughout the night.
Walking is very important right away to help with healing. I walked the halls every chance I had. I could not lift anything at first, but was back doing laundry just a few days after coming home. And my laundry is downstairs. I am very impressed at how fast I was feeling better.
I did my revision strictly for severe acid reflux, however I am already down 15 lbs. Pretty cool.

I had reflux before bypass and I still have it. At times it’s worse now than before my bypass. I’m almost 3 years post-op, I was hoping it would correct itself - no such luck. I truly believe it’s a crap shoot - no way to be certain it will end or continue! Good luck an may the odds be ever in your favor!!

Everything looks good in my stomach. Next up is going to another specialty clinic for a device to be implanted in my esophagus for 24-36 hours to track ph of the acid. Got some pretty cool pics today as well.

Hi I had lapband revision to bypass May 2022. I was having acid reflux that caused 3 ulcers in my esophagus. 2 were healed with meds one would not. It was close to the area of the band as well as a hiatal hernia.

The bypass fixed my acid, 8 months post op, no reflux, hernia is not a problem he said, I've lost 60 pounds and I am thrilled I did my revision to bypass.

I eat what I want, I'm healthier. I just had a knee replacement Nov 29th so I'm dealing with that but I'm working toward a healthier me.

Healing on the bypass was not too bad. Some pain when I laid down but I used the recliner for a bit but then worked on sleeping in bed. I was fine

Not doing anything additional at this time everything looked fine. I left my past work place and amazingly my acid issues stopped. I have a follow up with my doc next week. Not iberly looking forward to that and the lecture I will get for gaining some weight back. I'm over hearing how I still weigh to much for my height and frankly don't need anymore shame.

Back